How did you choose your baby names?

Kitkat_11am

Reaction score
My first thread :happydance:

How did you choose your baby names? Me and OH have been trying to agree on names but all of the names I like, he doesn't like and vice versa. My OH likes really fancy sounding names (a lot of them are Latin names) whereas I prefer more traditional names. How are we ever going to agree? I don't know what we're going to do when the time comes!

Hiya. I've been looking at baby names too but its so hard to find a good one!
I've visited the sites with the "top 100" names - Looks like Jack's been a winner for the past 5 years!
I think I'm with your man on this one though - I want something 'different' for our babies.
(Thankfully we don't have any family names to pass on)
I went to gothic and pagan names sites.
I looked at herbs and trees. My next move is flowers.
I love Delta and Dillon - both for girls names but our surname is Davies so they're both out!

Have you short-listed any so far?

Well for a boy i've come around to one of the names he likes - 'Rocco' It wouldn't be my first choice but I could get used to it. Girls names are a nightmare though, I really like Katelyn but he hates it :dohh:

Aw.... Katelyn is a lovely name xxx
Oooh - its so difficult.
I just know that whatever we choose our relatives'll hate !

it was a nightmare with names (still is as we haven't got a middle name!) we just threw names out there and would find a few that sound good...use it for a bit and see how we liked it. eventually a name came up that we just KNEW was IT. for some reason it just hits you like "that's the ONE!"

hhhhmmm
Have any of you girls come it with loads a names if it is a certain sex and find it harder for the other sex? i can think off quite a few girls names a like, like Emmy-Rose (my fav at the moment, and freya but for boys would not have a clue??

We came up with ours from our favourite movies/books hehe.

Girls name is Lara Esme (Lara from Tomb Raider and Esme from Twilight)
Boys name is James Edward or James Timothy (Okay, James is from a guy i used to fancy but the name is just gorgeous! Edward is also from Twilight and Timothy is my OH's dad's name)

No stealing!!! hehe. We chose these out about a year ago :) I love them. So happy with them :)

xxx

we wrote dwn all the names we liked which was about 15 names (we knew she was a girl at this point btw)and folded them up so couldnt see them and everyone who was in the house at the time picked one out and put it in a bowl. i was going to let my 2 neices pick a name each then id pick one of those, that was the idea anyway. well my oldest neice picked a name and we looked at it and it was faith and i have no idea how or when but it ended up back in the bowl. we shuffled the names about and youngest neice chose one and guess what..... it was faith again! so i rang oh and told him and he said "well its got to be that then hasnt it" lol

We just threw names around bouncing ideas off of each other, the problem is we like 3 boys names and 4 girls names, (that is first and middle names) so when we end up having a LO then I think it might be hard to pick which one out of the bunch we like the best

if you're having a hard time deciding on names why don't you try and combine the names? Or let him pick the first name and you pick the middle name or vice versa...
OH and I couldnt agree on a name either. But when Angelynn was 3 days old It just hit me. I had been calling her my little Angel but I didn't want just angel.. then I thought.. angelynn. and it stuck. OH picked her middle name. Mireya. That also would have been a pretty first name. So we were both happy :)

Ohhh names... my husband and I discussed names EVERY NIGHT for 3 month. Then he just said : what about Joshua? ... and that was it!
As for his middle name, he has my husband's name.

We had a list of names for a boy and for a girl. Once our son was born, we went down the boy list, and decided that he was a Brennan. I had to meet him before I could name it.

We had a list of names for a boy and for a girl. Once our son was born, we went down the boy list, and decided that he was a Brennan. I had to meet him before I could name it.

My husband wants to do the same. He feels we need to meet the baby before we can name him/her/them.

hi all, I'm going to invade your thread if that is ok. My husband and I have been together for a long time. About 3 or 4 years into our relationship, we started jokingly thinking of baby names. Needless to say, when Liam rolled around 12 years later (I wasn't kidding) his name was set for a looooonnnggg time. His middle name is Charles which is his grandfather as well as my grandfather and father's name. We are pretty close to another boy's name (they are easy for us for some reason) for the future bean, but have no clue on a girl's name, we can never agree. We like something, then change our minds, etc. Our only criteria were a sort of unique celtic name that wasn't too difficult or easily butchered :p

I am also going to have a list of names and then pick it once the LO is born. I know a few people who had the name picked out but changed it when they got to meet their LO because the name didn't fit.

Ohhh names... my husband and I discussed names EVERY NIGHT for 3 month. Then he just said : what about Joshua? ... and that was it!
As for his middle name, he has my husband's name.

Joshua was one of the first names I suggested, I really liked it but OH doesn't like anything with 'sh' in it. He's so fussy :cry:
btw Joshua looks adorable in your signature pics!

m_t_rose thats so true. Apparently my parents had the name Sarah picked out for me but when I was born they changed their mind as I didn't look like a Sarah. I don't know what 'Sarah' babies are meant to look like though!!

A suggestion if you find alternative spellings to a name you like but he dosen't or vice versa when you spell it a differnt way its like a differnt name (kind of haha), because some times the way a name looks down on paper can put you off.

For some reason before i got pregnant i awlays loved the name Darcey for a little girl.. but the minute i found out, like litrally the minute the test turned positive the name Rhiannon popped into my head... i had to convince OH but he says now she is definatly a "Rhiannon" and that it suites her..

Only prob now is our other kids are going to have to have welsh names (evil laugh, as if that wasnt my plan mwahahaha)

We've run into disagreements with that. I like nature sounding names like Dahlia, Soleil, Phoebe, etc. Luckily, OH at least likes Phoebe and thought Phoebe Waters had a ring to it.

Ah we're having a bit of a kerfuffle with names atm lol we'd 'decided' on Eleanor Rose and Joshua Kyle rather a few months ago when I came off the pill.. BUT I'm in love with the name Elsie, he very much hates it - he joked that he'd leave me if I called our girl Elsie lol :(
On the other hand, he likes Harvey and I don't see myself with a son called Harvey at all..
So the first names I mentioned it is then lol!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->