how did you prepare for a natural birth?

I prepared physically by going for a walk every day and squatting for extended periods of time. I would actually alternate between sitting and squatting while watching shows online. I'd also time it so I was doing it for a specific amount of time before sitting. Psychologically, I prepared by reading books and watching child birth education videos. I read the same book you've mentioned as well as some book that I don't remember the title to... it wasn't super helpful. I also read the book about The Bradley Method. Although I wasn't super into the method as a whole, I found the book to be helpful and to have some good coping strategies.

They say that when you feel like you can't handle it (labor) anymore, you know you're almost there. In the end, I never got to that point, labor really wasn't that bad, and the midwife got there well into my pushing stage because she didn't realize I was as far along as I thought I was.

Now, not every labor is easy, but even if it's a hard labor, you were built for this! If you prepare yourself psychologically for it, it can be an amazing experience. I would suggest reading up on coping strategies as well as more positive experience stories like what you've read so far. Good luck to you!

I agree with pp - when I got to the point where I asked DH to get me some pain relief it was because I was in transition. The midwife (thinking I couldn't be that far along because I'd been 2cm a couple of hours ago) just offered me a couple of codeine. By the time she did, I told her I needed to push and the worst was over. Pushing was hard work but amazing and didn't even really feel painful anymore.

How does squatting help?

Squatting is the "best" position to deliver a baby. In westernized cultures, we hardly squat at all and can't sustain the position for very long. By getting in "squatting shape," you give yourself a better opportunity to use the position in delivery with less fatigue related to squatting. Additionally, you know those kegel exercises exercises you're told to do? Do they seem natural to you? Not particularly, eh? Well, balancing muscle tone of two sets of muscles is more beneficial than over-strengthening one set of muscles. I didn't end up squatting to deliver my first and I doubt I'll use the position to deliver my second, but my midwife at the time, post delivery, said she thinks I'll be glad I did my squatting. I'm still not sure why, but maybe it helps keep things in shape down there for a faster recovery? I have no idea. Anyway, it has benefits and I did it last time to prepare. And my "squat" I mean feet flat and bum down by your heels.

Hi don't let anyone put you off having a natural birth I had three baby's naturally without epidural or anything else and found it amazing I'm not against epidurals or pain relief but I just seemed to manage without it and I loved it because I was so clear headed once it was over good luck xx

How does squatting help?

Squatting is the "best" position to deliver a baby. In westernized cultures, we hardly squat at all and can't sustain the position for very long. By getting in "squatting shape," you give yourself a better opportunity to use the position in delivery with less fatigue related to squatting. Additionally, you know those kegel exercises exercises you're told to do? Do they seem natural to you? Not particularly, eh? Well, balancing muscle tone of two sets of muscles is more beneficial than over-strengthening one set of muscles. I didn't end up squatting to deliver my first and I doubt I'll use the position to deliver my second, but my midwife at the time, post delivery, said she thinks I'll be glad I did my squatting. I'm still not sure why, but maybe it helps keep things in shape down there for a faster recovery? I have no idea. Anyway, it has benefits and I did it last time to prepare. And my "squat" I mean feet flat and bum down by your heels.

Squats work your kegal muscles without you realizing.

I did weighted squats at the squat rack until 33 weeks. I gave birth on my back, but squatting is great for giving birth as in that position your birth canal is shortened.

I got my natural birth. It was a beautiful and positive experience and definitely manageable. I swear there is something to be said for hypnobirthing. And speaking of squatting, I gave birth on a birthing stool. It was a surreal experience and I am beyond grateful it all turned out how I wanted it to. I couldn't be more in love with this handsome little fellow.

I got my natural birth. It was a beautiful and positive experience and definitely manageable. I swear there is something to be said for hypnobirthing. And speaking of squatting, I gave birth on a birthing stool. It was a surreal experience and I am beyond grateful it all turned out how I wanted it to. I couldn't be more in love with this handsome little fellow.

Congrats!!!! xxx

I did as well! My son was born Tuesday. 18 hours of intense, drug free labor and I pushed his beautiful little face out. So painful, but so worth it.

congrats to you both!

gingmg- did you like the birthing stool? Did you buy it or was it borrowed/provided for you? I was wondering about birthing stools. Last birth I used squatting a lot with support from my husband. I wasn't strong enough to squat on my own and it worked great with his help but he ended up injuring his leg from being in a bad position so I'm looking for alternatives this time.

I LOVED the birthing stool. I gave birth in the hospital and it was the midwife's suggestion to try it. I spent a decent amount of time in the bathroom and even at 9cm I didn't want to come off the toilet. She thought I would be more comfortable on it and she sure was right!! I think the gravity really helped because I only pushed for 20 minutes.

When I see my midwife next I think I'll ask about birthing stools for home birth.

what was the stool like? I'm thinking about getting one but I dont know what I should be looking for. Sorry for all the questions.

To be honest, I don't remember anything about it other than I guess it kinda looked like a toilet. But I don't remember if it was wooden or plastic or something else. It felt like a more natural position to be in and it was way more comfortable than being in the bed. I only got on it for the pushing and it was never parr of a "plan", its just that the midwife thought I would like it and I did.

I didn't really prepare for it that much. I did go the midwife route because I wanted the freedom to chose the birth I wanted. I just stayed positive about labour generally and only read positive stories. I also did my research on all kind of pain medication and what my hospital offered and what they didn't. Being informed was my best weapon.

I wasn't too anti-drugs anyway. I wanted to try naturally if I could,....and I did :) I just kept a very open mind about it.

I should update this thread since it has resurfaced in my newsfeed...

I did get my natural, drug-free birth!

Now that I've went through the whole experience, my best words of advice for an expecting momma who wants a drug-free birth would be to try your best to avoid interventions. I did my research. I live in the US and found a midwife group in my area who was supposed to be on board with a woman's choice and very low c-section rates. I refused any form of IV when I was admitted to the hospital (much to the nurses frustration). I labored in a large tub A LOT! The jets were fantastic and every contraction, I kept thinking, one more down!

I won't lie - it was the most painful experience ever, but having gone through it, seen how alert my baby was at birth and experiencing every moment of bringing him into the world, I will do it again next time. If it's what you want, it's worth it and you CAN do it. I think that they make it too easy for women to give in to the drugs by making them so available -- I made it clear that they were to stop offering them to me (and if I wanted them, I would ask!!). There were several times I almost gave in, but then I thought, "I made it this far, why wouldn't I keep going?"

If anyone ever has any questions, please feel free to ask. My experience was intense, painful, and so amazing all at once. So many people were against me and thought I would give in to the drugs, but I didn't and I'm very proud of myself.

Glad you got your natural birth manda! Well done! I have had two home births now. The good thing about a home birth is that the drugs are not there. I would have had to go to hospital to have most drugs or interventinons so there was no extra temptation :).

Glad you got your natural birth manda! Well done! I have had two home births now. The good thing about a home birth is that the drugs are not there. I would have had to go to hospital to have most drugs or interventinons so there was no extra temptation :).

I would've loved a home birth, but the insurance company would cover the hospital 100%, whereas with a homebirth, they weren't sure how much I'd have to pay but estimated it around $2-3K after insurance. Hopefully by my next one, I can better afford it and have the homebirth I'd love! I did the best I could while still having to be in the hospital environment.

I would've loved a home birth, but the insurance company would cover the hospital 100%, whereas with a homebirth, they weren't sure how much I'd have to pay but estimated it around $2-3K after insurance. Hopefully by my next one, I can better afford it and have the homebirth I'd love! I did the best I could while still having to be in the hospital environment.

Yeah, thats a lot! Our home births have only cost less than 1k total (each) with an independant MW but we are not in the US. Though after having done it I'd happily pay more as long as we could afford it.

My mum had a medicalised birth in hospital, a home birth and a drug free birth in hospital. She said though it was well worth it it was hard to say no to the drugs in hospital. It sounds like you did really well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->