How did your glucose tolerance test go?

Mabv812

Reaction score
How did it go? What flavor did you get? Mine is coming up on Wednesday, eeek! Seems much different than my 1st GTT 4 years ago. 4 yrs ago i had to be fasting 9 hours and it was a 2 hr GTT (i got a sprite flavored drink). This time around I only need to be 2 hours fasting and its a 1 hr GTT ( no idea on flavor).

I did the unflavored one this time around. 10000x better than the last time I did it!

I had the orange flavor the first time, no fasting, ate lunch on my way to the test (keep it low carb! I had grilled chicken, and that was it) and I felt just fine - just sat there and played on my phone... This time, I had eggs and sausage for breakfast, then went to the test two hours later, had the unflavored version... I swore I was going to throw up, not from the flavor but from all the sugar, but I managed to keep it down. I've also had morning sickness, so that could be part of it. I felt so light headed and terrible this time. I chugged the drink in a few seconds both times, and I passed both times. Good luck!!!

I got a chilled orange flavor for my 1 hour. Just tasted like flat orange soda lol. I failed by a few points

Got a room temp lime flavor for the three hour. Passed.

Chilled was easier to get down, but they were both fine. Also do not listen to them about diet not affecting your 1 hour. It was teacher appreciation week so I had cake and cookies and chips all week and 3 chips and 2 donuts right before I took the test and barely failed. But my 1 hour of my 3 hour was passing with flying colors.

I think the standard for most is to chug the glucose drink within 5 minutes - I believe the flavors they make are orange, lemon lime, fruit punch, cola and unflavored - and then wait an hour for the drink to go through your body, then they draw your blood. I don't think you have to fast beforehand but I'd personally eat something just so you don't have all sugar on your stomach. Eat something with protein and stay away from anything sugary. If you pass, you are done for the rest of pregnancy, but if you fail you have to take the 3 hour. I believe with the 3 hour they just give you double the amount of glucose in the drink and then draw your blood every hour. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, as I've never had to take the drink with my tests. My midwife (the same one I've seen for all four pregnancies) just had me fast overnight and then come in first thing in the morning for bloodwork. I suppose every practice is different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->