How do I get LO started on water?

There's no real need for water at your LO's age, just let him have milk whenever he wants it, BF or FF.

I just left water out for LO to have a go at, in a variety of different cups. Eventually they'll realise what it does. Having cups to play with in the bath helped too - I swear my kids got half of their daily fluid intake from bath water and it was great at teaching them to use a normal cup.

I first used a cup/beaker thing with a top that was similar to a bottle teat in terms of texture and LO took to it quite quickly.

Next we used the hard beaker. She did spend a while chewing on it but soon had water out of it.

We currently use a cup with a straw as I found it easier to leave around for LO to just pick up and use (at first she just had water with meals but now it is available all the time for her). With the beaker she used to not tip it up enough when it was less than half full.

Just keep offering it and he'll eventually work it out. We found giving it to her to play with in the bath also helped as she could make a mess with it and not get her clothes or the floor or me completely soaked. She didn't really use it at all until about 9 months and even then it wasn't much. You might try experimenting with different cups too. We use a Tommee Tippee free flow cup for water and that was fine, but she wouldn't drink milk out of that. I found using a straw cup for milk worked better (and didn't spill the way the free flow cup does). We use a Momma straw cup and it's great. I'm a huge fan of them and then really don't spill or leak.

I started offering water with meals when I started weaning. I was using a free flow cup at first but T didn't drink much he just tipped it everywhere. About a month ago I started using a sippy cup and he drinks quite a lot now he has mastered how to use it.

I just left it where he could reach/play with it. He soon got the idea.

We have stopped bothering with the sippy cup. I just take the lid off it so its just a normal beaker & offer her little sips from it. She is pretty good at drinking that way & just pushes away with her hand when she has had enough. Quite a bit gets spilt but she is taking much more water than she used to.

I really dont see the need for other liquids besides formula or breastmilk at this age....unless its super hot or something...but then id prob just give baby more nursing sessions!

I just kept offering and at around ten months she actually started drinking some. I thought she would never drink water at one point but she loves it now :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->