How do I introduce Formula?!

Halle71

Pregnant with number 2!
Reaction score
Hi ladies

I wonder if anyone can offer any advice...

I've been exclusively breastfeeding Matilda and now she is six months I have started weaning and would like to be able to give her one bottle of formula a night. I want to carry on BF for a few months but I've not been out since she was born and we are going to NZ in 6 weeks so I would like a bit of flexibility.

But.
She won't take a bottle. We've also tried a sucky cup but no luck.
I did express a bit at the start but we moved when she was 10 weeks old so I lost momentum and gave up and now I can't express either.

Has anybody managed to introduce formula this late and how did you do it?

Thanks

Hx

(also posting this in breastfeeding)

My friend had the same problem getting her bf baby to take a bottle. He will now take a bottle when he's really hungry but never from her, I think if they can sense you then they would rather have it from you than the bottle.

Have you tried someone else giving her a bottle and leaving the room so that she cant see or hear you?

Have you tried a beaker? We have been trying a Superdrug 'bottle to cup trainer' which is a soft-spouted free flow beaker and it's a good shape and soft enough to chew on... If she's not taking a bottle at this age I'd not bother trying anymore because she just won't.

I've heard it's very difficult to get a baby to take a bottle this late on but best thing you cao os get someone else to do it as babies can smell their mothers milk so wont take a bottle off them when there's a nice, warm, squishy nipple on offer, lol.

My LO is now 13 months, I introduced cartons of aptamil follow on milk in a sippy cup when he was about 7 or 8 months old and gradually stopped breastfeeds. He now has 2 cups of aptamil a day and a breastfeed at night.
I'm trying to remember how I did it. I think I only did it when he had gone down to 3 milk feeds a day and then replaced the lunchtime one first, then the morning feed next. I will eventually replace the nightime one (probably quite soon as he doesn't seem that bothered any more)
He was used to sippy cups though as he had water in them from 6 months. He just needed help with them at first. I removed the plastic thing behind so the milk comes out easily and he didn't have to suck.

Also he hates the mixed formula - the powder/water stuff. He will only drink ready made in cartons - room temperature. They are about 55p from Asda. I tried a couple of other makes but only aptamil will do. Maybe they taste more like my milk? lol

Love Karen
x

Thanks for your advice ladies.
We've tried a sippy cup as well but as she is just six months she has only just been given one for water and isn't used to it yet so I might wait until she can suck from it. I've also been advised to try a morning feed when I know for certain she is hungry.

Hx

My L/O wont take from a bottle either i've tried every make and have loads in my kitchen, i try him with one everyday with a little water in avent were trying again he will chew on it and flick it around his mouth with his tounge but will not suck on it.

I've tried ebm in it and formula he screws his face up at the formula, i want to stop bf in the new year so goodness knows what he will do!

I've actually heard some babies are less likely to take a bottle when they're really hungry, and are more receptive when they're not desparate for a BF.

My 6 week old baby will only take a bottle if I am not anywhere close by; I usually can't even be in the same house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->