How do I tell the midwife...

Thanks everyone - I was planning on avoiding the subject for as long as possible as I don't want to get into a debate with the midwife. The thing I'm most worried about is that I'm quite young and my friend had a baby recently and she was forced to try to breastfeed and her daughter wouldn't take to it and then the hospital staff made her feel like a complete failure and she phoned me in tears.

I just don't want to experience anything like that :s Even though I'm young, I do have my own mind and I don't want to be talked down to or looked down upon - I certainly don't look down on people who breastfeed! If anything I admire them for doing something that I can't :)

xxx

Who says you can't? The vast majority of women CAN breastfeed successfully. Personally I think every woman should at least try it, I only managed 5 days and I still regret giving Poppy second best after I stopped. But if you don't want to, I say just don't say anything and do what you want.

Personally even the thought of it makes me cringe and thats my reason. I know all the benefits of breastfeeding but I just could bring myself to do it x
Okay, thanks... certainly your choice to make! Personally, the thought of squeezing a 7-pound baby through my hooha makes me cringe, but I'm willing to do it for the sake of my baby... but, to each her own.

I actually am fearful I won't be able to breastfeed. One of my breasts is not functional (the ducts were severed during a surgery) so I'm hoping and praying it will be doable. Yes, it does kind of give me the heebie-jeebies, but I will gladly do it since I want the healthiest possible baby who will stay healthy for a long time because of it. Ah well, good that we all make our own decisions. I'm thankful we don't live in an era where breastfeeding was actually discouraged and formula was crammed down new mothers' throats!

Is it possible you could keep an open mind and not decide either way - take each day as it comes? Even just giving colostrum (i.e. before your milk comes in for the 1st few days) is supposed to have massive gains in terms of their immune system. For some people it's physically hard, for others its hard emotionally or the tiredness because it's all you and you don't get your partner to do so much. But having BF myself once it was hard at 1st, but very rewarding and the gains to baby are huge. If you google/look into it you will find baby less likely to have a whole host of illnesses etc if you BF. Of my friends who FF vs friends who BF, the ones who BF had babies who did not have ear infecs or tummy bugs in the 1st year or so. All my FF friends had babies who had a tummy bug in the 1st year, and most had ear infecs in the 1st few years. I suffered terribly with ear infecs as a kid and was worried about DD, but so far (now pre schooler) none. I BF to 1yr.

If you choose to FF I don't think you'll find too many probs. TBH I found the mws at hosp and afterwards pretty much expected it, and were surprised when I still was BFing after a point. In hosp they were happy to pop up with a bottle (DD had 1 or 2 whilst I was seriously ill post birth) and also quite helpful with BF.

Good luck either way!

I met with my MW at 10wks and told her that I wasn't interested in breast-feeding, she just ticked off that she had asked me and I've heard nothing since -- just be firm, it is your body, your baby and your decision.

In my case, I can't anyway as have to take thyroid medication , which makes any 'discussion' with very pro-BF mums, very short (I do appreciate that everybody has their opinion, but I was not/am not comfortable with breastfeeding)....

best wishes

I take thyroid medication and have not been informed of any problems relating to it and bf, can u give some advice on this?

I'd like to add that my LO is 9mths, BF for 1 week but has never once had an infection or tummy upset. I don't think it's fair to OP to say that all of your friends babies who FF in the first years had a tummy bug as this isn't always the case!!

As michelle said i dont think its fair to say all FF babies are poorly...i was breastfed or 6 months and was a very sicky child,my bro never breastfed (premmie) and he has always been healthy and my sister was bf for 1 month and she has always been a poorly child infact as an adult she is ill alot diabetic,ashmatic...now i am by far saying any of this is relevant but im just trying to highlight that jot all ff babies are sickly...

My son wasnt bf as i didnt produce any milk not wven colustrum till he was 3. Days old and by then he wasnt havin none of it and hes hardly ever ill and when he is he fights it off so quickly...i will try again this time tho but honestly hun id she asks just say its not for me i she dont ask dont say anything xxxx

WoodyA --

sorry for delay; medical community is divided (as are the books I've looked at), but essentially, the idea is that thyroid medication before and during pregnancy are essential until baby's thyroid takes over at around 12wks with independent placenta; but if the mum has to continue medication post-birth (as I will), there may be extra thyroid medication in the breast-milk THIS IS IF THE THYROID FUNCTION IN MUM CHANGES AFTER BIRTH, which MAY cause too much in baby -- however, please, please, please speak to your midwife/doctor before getting worried --since I wasn't planning on breastfeeding anyway, I haven't done any research aside from my GP saying that I would have to continue thyroid medication afterwards (my underactive thyroid was discovered in pre-IVF blood work, but got pregnant naturally!). The problem, I think, is that the mum's hormone levels can change post-pregnancy and your medication may need to be adjusted and it takes time for blood work, medication to stabilise, etc..

best wishes

Just for my own knowledge, what are the reasons you or someone would choose not to breastfeed? (I've never had a living baby yet so I have no idea and am curious.)

I firstly didn't want to. After discussions, we decided it was best all around for our family unit.

p.s. I also take thyroid medication and didn't know about the BFing. I didn't have my problem in my first pregnancy so maybe this is why I hadn't come across it. :shrug:

its in their job descrip to tell every woman as much as possible about how great bfing is for you and baby so i wouldnt feel too pressured - shes just doing what she has to. if its your first they assume you dont know much so they slap the info on like no ones business. amke sure if when baby is born you dont wanna bf that you take formula to the hospital cus otherwise they may not supply it unless for nicu babys.

my sis didnt wanna bf with her second (bf her first for just a month and hated it) and she gave him the "liquid gold" first 2 feeds of colostrum. just an idea see if you can handle just that first feed or 2 cus its second to none. im NOT trying to change your mind, just saying that though bfing is good, the first couple of feeds are comparable to none cus of the quality of the colostrum milk. if you already know that, ignore me lol :flower: xxx

Entirely up to you and do not let anyone sway you either way. If you want to then fine and if you don't then fine. I personally don't want to BF but will be for the bit before the milk kicks in, if you get me.

Entirely up to you and do not let anyone sway you either way. If you want to then fine and if you don't then fine. I personally don't want to BF but will be for the bit before the milk kicks in, if you get me.

I'm with you. I don't plan on breastfeeding but will be trying for the first few days to get the colostrum.

Its a completely personal choice i think. I really wanted to breastfeed my son before he was born and managed to do so till he was 10 months old.I really enjoyed it and found it special. I think most people are able to with the right support and help, which isnt always available .I did a breastfeeding peer supporter course and the things i found out about breastfeeding were amazing. once you have your baby your feelings sometimes change but its your choice and no one elses.x

I just said i was bottle feeding when they ask what your feeding method is at one of the appointments. She did say 'you should try to because of the benefits' etc, and to be honest i regret it so much :( in hospital they didn't look down on me or anything because i didn't want to, they were fine and helped me when he wouldn't drink x

I really really don't want to breastfeed. I've got nothing against anyone who does it's just really not for me for several reasons.

Every medical person I've spoken to keeps going on about the benefits of breastfeeding and giving my leaflets etc and I feel like everywhere I look, I see posters promoting breastfeeding.

Have any of you told your midwife that you have no intentions of breastfeeding? If so what was their reaction?

Thank you :)

Sam

None of her business :D I don't think you have to tell her anything x

i dnt plan on bf either if mw kicks up a fuss i shall just be sayin its my own personal choice i dnt want to discuss the matter any more no one can push u in to doin summit u dnt feel comfortable doin

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->