How do I wake him up?/

MommyGrim

Reaction score
I had my twins almost a month ago and have expressed milk for them since they were preemies and couldn't feed off the breast. I was told that I could start gradually introducing feedings on the breast for my little boy (DD2 is still very small and not strong enough to get a full feed off me before getting tired) and I've got it to every other feeding is off the breast :happydance: but I've come across a problem in the past couple days, DS keeps falling asleep! He'll eat like crazy for 5-10 min then he'll just pass out! I can't wake him up to eat either! I've tried everything! I've set him up until he woke up, repositioned him, just moved him around but everytime I put him back on he unlatches and falls asleep again! I'd think he was full but for the few seconds he is awake he roots like mad and generally just acts like he's still hungry.
We've come so far in the last month, I don't want to have to put him back on the bottle to make sure he's getting food :cry:

Have you tried undressing him to just a diaper? Tickling feet, cold cloth, diaper change. Do you have someone that can annoy him while you're feeding?

I usually rub his spine, the NICU nurses told me that it's irritating for them. I could try undressing him though!

DD#1 was like this the things we found that helped were changing her diaper before she ate, undressing her, rubbing her in various irritating places like her ears and feet and rubbing her with a cool wash cloth.

for me, instead of waking him up, I would let him sleep and basically shove my nipple in his mouth every moment he was awake otherwise. He was impossible to wake up and if I did he just would be to pissed off to eat

Have you tried feeding more frequently ? Strip him to his diaper an try feeding sooner , sometimes they can't feed for as long because tey are just to little and it takes a lot of energy so feeding more frequently makes sure they have enough energy from the last feed to eat

Have you tried feeding more frequently ? Strip him to his diaper an try feeding sooner , sometimes they can't feed for as long because tey are just to little and it takes a lot of energy so feeding more frequently makes sure they have enough energy from the last feed to eat

I'll probably have to try this as well. DS would probably enjoy that as well :haha:

Nursing is hard work for babies. They wear themselves out in the beginning. It sounds like your lo is wearing out. I had the same problem. My lo would fall asleep and would not wake up. When she would wake up she'd act like she was starving! I started feeding every hour while she was awake. It helped her build up her strength to feed longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->