How do you feel about epidurals/natural birth?

I would say that, while natural/unmedicated birth may be an amazing, empowering experience for some individuals, for others it may be just the opposite. It's often hard to imagine how someone could possibly feel differently about something for which you (anyone) feel so strongly- like the way people believe in God or not, or people who want children vs. people who don't. I don't know that I'd have felt very empowered after passing out from holding my breath during contractions (completely involuntary, even though my mom and the nurse tried to coach me through it), or screaming in pain as my tailbone was being slowly fractured. With the epi, I was able to labour in calmly and easily- and retain consciousness. The moment of birth wasn't ruined by my tailbone cracking either- and since I couldn't feel the pain of it right away, our first cuddles were nice and calm and blissful too. Not to sound confrontational, but I don't need anyone to validate whether or not my epi was justified- and I certainly don't need anyone saying that my labour would have been so much better had I done it their way, or that they felt better or stronger after labour than I did. No one knows how anyone else feels inside- physically or emotionally, so broad generalizations are no good for certain debates.

I do agree that not nearly enough people know the risks- I knew them (been on this site for ages, lol!) but some of us have to weigh our options. I do trust my body BUT I also trust my judgement; once I started breaking bones, the pain would most likely have scared me out of continuing to push. With the epi, I was able to concentrate on getting her out and didn't end up needing any assistance. I feel that sometimes the words 'trust your body' unintentonally mask the idea of not trusting our judgement if we make the choice to have pain relief.

Although it's generally true that our bodies were designed to give birth, that is still just that- a generalization. Bodies were also designed to eat, see, breathe, hear, walk- but not every body can do those things. My birth canal was designed perfectly, but my spine was designed like shit :haha:, which made things difficult- and so was my heart, which was going absolutely mental until the pain was gone and I was able to relax. I also have sensory integration disorder, which (most people don't realize) also screws with your internal organs' "senses" and makes it hard for some of us to control what our insides (in my case, heart and lungs, compounded by the hole in my heart). So my point is, not every body can do what evolution/creation intended them to do. I chose to trust in my brain (which works better than my body anyway)!

Sorry for writing a novel :blush: (and sorry about all the parentheses)

If i hadn't of had my epidural i can safetly say i wouldn't of had a great birthing experience, induction contractions were constant, i'm not exaggerating when i say there was no time between them. I will definitely opt for one next time thats for sure.

Death during childbirth in 3rd world countries like Uganda has nothing to do with them being natural births :wacko: They die from losing blood usually and they dont have any blood to transfuse, or they die of infections as theres no antibiotics, abortions that arent done properly or under sterile conditions, the mothers get malaria, have HIV etc. Csections when not needed would actually be more harmful.

It's highly ironic that in the same breath you harp on about being educated then make an extremely ignorant comment like that.
Well, Blah...tell me, what do YOU know about Ughanda? Because my step dad lives there and they just had a baby less than 2 mths before mine. They don't deliver in the ditch or bush ya know! Many deliver at home at it is a community involved delivery. They have hospitals and c-sections too! There's just no fancy epidurals or 'air'! Yes, HIV is huge there...but that isn't why they die during childbirth. anyways, my opinion is that any kind of birth should be a womans choice and i would never even ask a woman if she used pain meds...how rude!

I haven't read any threads, mostly because I don't want to get my back up about it, because I do get my back up about this topic. I hate it when people come in and think they are holier than thou because THEY managed to do a so-called natural birth. Good for you! There is no award, no one CARES but yourself, so get over it. I am quite happy with my CHOSEN C-sections (shun haha rolls eyes). Just because people choose pain relief or medical births doesn't mean they don't have the facts, or haven't done their research...it means they want it that way! Seriously, if I wanted a au naturel birth, say like, in Ughanda where they do that all the time..the death rate is horrible!!! There is a reason why things have gone medical and we are not freaking Ghandi and we don't have to sit there is pain and try to be heros. Nuff said.

I don't think anyone was getting holier than thou here... Sorry if it appears that way.

Edit (for elaboration) : But I still think that there isn't enough information available about the epidural in certain cases. I said earlier that in a lot of cases it appears to be treated as an inevitability more than an option. And while there is plenty of information available on the internet, women will only research it if they consider it a problem in the first place. With a culture where most tv shows and movies that predict births have the defining moment where the woman screams for the epidural, it would seem only natural to assume that it's the norm. I know that medical personnel are required to give the risks of any procedure or medication before they administer it, but there's a difference between making a decision during labor and making one in the comfort of your own home, with plenty of time to mull it over.

Now it's obvious that you feel fine and passionate about your own decision. But I really don't think it's true that all women who have natural births gloat about it later. And I certainly don't see anything wrong with having a natural birth, and I've met very few women who have had them and likened themselves to Ghandi. They're not trying to be martyrs or heroes; I think they're just trying to experience labor as much as possible. And there's nothing wrong with that if it's there decision.

I would say that, while natural/unmedicated birth may be an amazing, empowering experience for some individuals, for others it may be just the opposite. It's often hard to imagine how someone could possibly feel differently about something for which you (anyone) feel so strongly- like the way people believe in God or not, or people who want children vs. people who don't. I don't know that I'd have felt very empowered after passing out from holding my breath during contractions (completely involuntary, even though my mom and the nurse tried to coach me through it), or screaming in pain as my tailbone was being slowly fractured. With the epi, I was able to labour in calmly and easily- and retain consciousness. The moment of birth wasn't ruined by my tailbone cracking either- and since I couldn't feel the pain of it right away, our first cuddles were nice and calm and blissful too. Not to sound confrontational, but I don't need anyone to validate whether or not my epi was justified- and I certainly don't need anyone saying that my labour would have been so much better had I done it their way, or that they felt better or stronger after labour than I did. No one knows how anyone else feels inside- physically or emotionally, so broad generalizations are no good for certain debates.

I do agree that not nearly enough people know the risks- I knew them (been on this site for ages, lol!) but some of us have to weigh our options. I do trust my body BUT I also trust my judgement; once I started breaking bones, the pain would most likely have scared me out of continuing to push. With the epi, I was able to concentrate on getting her out and didn't end up needing any assistance. I feel that sometimes the words 'trust your body' unintentonally mask the idea of not trusting our judgement if we make the choice to have pain relief.

Although it's generally true that our bodies were designed to give birth, that is still just that- a generalization. Bodies were also designed to eat, see, breathe, hear, walk- but not every body can do those things. My birth canal was designed perfectly, but my spine was designed like shit :haha:, which made things difficult- and so was my heart, which was going absolutely mental until the pain was gone and I was able to relax. I also have sensory integration disorder, which (most people don't realize) also screws with your internal organs' "senses" and makes it hard for some of us to control what our insides (in my case, heart and lungs, compounded by the hole in my heart). So my point is, not every body can do what evolution/creation intended them to do. I chose to trust in my brain (which works better than my body anyway)!

Sorry for writing a novel :blush: (and sorry about all the parentheses)

I totally understand where you're coming from. I think it's interesting to hear of women having better birth experiences because of pain medication as well. Honestly, the choice to have either a natural birth or pain intervention is empowering in and of itself. I don't think they should be banned at all, as they certainly have their place.

Why is it that people have to justify their births by running down people who have chosen a low/no intervention birth and quote death rates of natural birth?? Most of the time when babies and women died in child birth it was due to infection from people sticking their hands in places and no washing them! The introduction of the Obstetrician saw a huge increase in post natal infections and deaths because they kept intervening and didn't wash their hands in between patients!

Everyone has their own reasons for the way they have brought, or had a doctor bring, their children in to the world. Personally, if you have been through labour and had a good experience you feel like a hero and rightly so. Your body just performed a miracle and the hormones that run through your blood give you and your baby a huge high. It is necessary chemical event for the survival and best outcome of mother and baby. Why can't we trust that mother nature got it right and in the cases of those straight forward births, we can just let the lady be and leave well enough alone? Those that need intervention, thank goodness we have it but we don't need to take away from anyone's experience to justify our own.

I also think you will find that for women who birth the way they want to in an informed and educated manner, that is a huge reward and I doubt they are concerned if anyone cares about their births. Some are open enough to share their stories with people who are interested. Women have shared their experiences with each other for centuries and it has been an important part of the feminine culture. Now it seems that people have to not talk in case it offends someone (who really doesn't care anyway you know). It seems natural birthing and breast feeding are only seen as activities for the smug and self perceived superior types. What happened to women to make them turn on each other??

I personally think that nature is pretty awesome. Despite my births not going completely to plan, I have managed to have two gorgeous children and another on the way. I am saddened that women are starting to devalue our abilities and I think the more we go on intervening, the more we will evolve to be a species that can't conceive and reproduce without help. That will be a very sad state of evolution : (

I also think you will find that for women who birth the way they want to in an informed and educated manner, that is a huge reward and I doubt they are concerned if anyone cares about their births. Some are open enough to share their stories with people who are interested. Women have shared their experiences with each other for centuries and it has been an important part of the feminine culture. Now it seems that people have to not talk in case it offends someone (who really doesn't care anyway you know). It seems natural birthing and breast feeding are only seen as activities for the smug and self perceived superior types. What happened to women to make them turn on each other??

I personally think that nature is pretty awesome. Despite my births not going completely to plan, I have managed to have two gorgeous children and another on the way. I am saddened that women are starting to devalue our abilities and I think the more we go on intervening, the more we will evolve to be a species that can't conceive and reproduce without help. That will be a very sad state of evolution : (

i totaly agree with u. ive had comments from both sides, ive had nasty comments about FF because i couldnt BF zane. Ive then had comments about wanting to try BF again with baby 2.
and ive had people ask me if my homebirth is even safe!:dohh: no i just fancy risking mine and my babies life....ofcourse a homebirth is safe, im doing exaxcly what alot of women do in hospital but just in my home on my terms.

im certainly not smug, i just want a certain type of birth.

and has no one remembered the saying "too posh to push?" not saying i believe this but thats the saying.....ive never heard a saying about calling natural birthers posh.....we are just called hippys instead

My experience in RL is that people who have had a natural birth shout it from the roof tops. Even if that same person then goes on to have a birth using pain relief they then keep it very quiet about the fact that they used pain relief.

I think some people who had a very positive natural birth experience find it difficult to see that every birth is different and that some people have had huge amounts of intervention to go their Lo into the world alive. That is was far from a posiive experience.

When in convos about birth those of us that have had C-sections dont seem to have as much of a valued opinion as we have never given birth naturally. Even though you can get as far as almost having a head out and still have a section.

I also think those of us who had very complicated births which 'went wrong' resulting in all sorts of intervention keep very quiet about it. I for instance will never discuss the birth of my Lo with a pregnant woman cos it simply isnt fair to upset someone who wil be worried about the process that much.

my mum had a very traumatic birth with me....she wasnt allowed pain relief (bad hospital) but shes never sugar coated it for me and loved telling me about how they had to remove her stitches with my brother, that was 29 yrs ago thanks mum!

i had a far from perfect birth with zane, altho nothing compared to others but thats just made me want my natural birth even more.

ive always had the up most respect for women who need a section, thats the one thing i wouldnt be able to do...even tho obviously id have to if needed but the thought scares the hell out of me.

Death during childbirth in 3rd world countries like Uganda has nothing to do with them being natural births :wacko: They die from losing blood usually and they dont have any blood to transfuse, or they die of infections as theres no antibiotics, abortions that arent done properly or under sterile conditions, the mothers get malaria, have HIV etc. Csections when not needed would actually be more harmful.

It's highly ironic that in the same breath you harp on about being educated then make an extremely ignorant comment like that.
Well, Blah...tell me, what do YOU know about Ughanda? Because my step dad lives there and they just had a baby less than 2 mths before mine. They don't deliver in the ditch or bush ya know! Many deliver at home at it is a community involved delivery. They have hospitals and c-sections too! There's just no fancy epidurals or 'air'! Yes, HIV is huge there...but that isn't why they die during childbirth. anyways, my opinion is that any kind of birth should be a womans choice and i would never even ask a woman if she used pain meds...how rude!

I've watched a documentary not too long ago on it.

https://emilyrgeorge.wordpress.com/...etence-leads-to-maternal-mortality-in-uganda/

'80% of maternal deaths are attributed to sepsis, hemorrhage, unsafe abortion, obstructed labor and hypertensive disorders.'

a lot of those arent really anything an epidural would solve so idk why you even brought it up in an EPIDURAL thread.

I haven't read any threads, mostly because I don't want to get my back up about it, because I do get my back up about this topic. I hate it when people come in and think they are holier than thou because THEY managed to do a so-called natural birth. Good for you! There is no award, no one CARES but yourself, so get over it. I am quite happy with my CHOSEN C-sections (shun haha rolls eyes). Just because people choose pain relief or medical births doesn't mean they don't have the facts, or haven't done their research...it means they want it that way! Seriously, if I wanted a au naturel birth, say like, in Ughanda where they do that all the time..the death rate is horrible!!! There is a reason why things have gone medical and we are not freaking Ghandi and we don't have to sit there is pain and try to be heros. Nuff said.

It probably would have been a good idea to read the rest of the replies before you came in all guns blazing.. No one was saying anything bad, you're the only one to come in throwing around insults :shrug:

my mum had a very traumatic birth with me....she wasnt allowed pain relief (bad hospital) but shes never sugar coated it for me and loved telling me about how they had to remove her stitches with my brother, that was 29 yrs ago thanks mum!

i had a far from perfect birth with zane, altho nothing compared to others but thats just made me want my natural birth even more.

ive always had the up most respect for women who need a section, thats the one thing i wouldnt be able to do...even tho obviously id have to if needed but the thought scares the hell out of me.

My mom had a traumatic birth with me also, but always told me the truth about it. That actually made me a little more scared though! I had the cord wrapped around me and was dying inside her so she was about 30 seconds from being rushed in for a section, but the doctor told her roll on her side and gave her one last chance and she pushed with all she had and out popped me! They had to do their doctor magic to bring me back to life and other than some permanent upper respiratory problems I'm fine. She really didn't want a section! :haha:

I think when Lo is older I will tell her about her birth. I think it is importna to for her to know

But I work in a company that is 80% child bearing age women. If there isnt at least 3 pregnant at one time we thing theres something wrong.
They oftern ask as you do about my labour and I keep the details very vague. SImply cos I dont want to say I had 3 forceps 3 ventuses 20 people in the room the head consultant but she was a stuck as she could be. Lo was pushed back in for her catA section and came out very much in need of revivial and then needed aditional help for a week. I tell them i was induced, there were complications and I had a Csection which I think is pretty common

Cos you know what for all the things that went wrong I didnt have a bad birth experience. Cos im okay and Lo is okay. But that list is pretty much everyones idea of the worse that can happen. Cos I dont think many people consider thire Lo dieing in birth. Lets face it is isnt comething you want to think about.

Maybe thats why we hear more about natural births and people want tell thier story to make other pregnan women think that they CAN do it and everything will just happen like its meant to.

I suppose I can only speak for my reasons for keeping quiet. As everyone I have told te whole story to has broken down in tears.

Women who have births using pain meds and epis often are informed and educated too. Many of us actively make the choice to use pain meds and birth the way we do. For me, a positive birth is one which results in a live baby regardless of the way the mum chooses to give birth.

:shrug: Obviously anyones idea of a positive birth would be a live baby. Personally, I would feel robbed of a birth experience if I had to have a csection but thats just me.

Women who have births using pain meds and epis often are informed and educated too. Many of us actively make the choice to use pain meds and birth the way we do. For me, a positive birth is one which results in a live baby regardless of the way the mum chooses to give birth.

I very much agree with this.

I want a home birth with no pain relief but ultimately what i want doesnt matter at all, if i end up having to go to the hospital, having all the drugs i can or a csection i actually couldnt care less as long as i leave with my baby in my arms.

I view this topic like i view BF, it would be nice if people didnt automaticly right off natural labours (where possible) and looked into other methods of pain relief but really as long as they go into it knowing the risks then its their choice and shouldn't be judged for it.

Personally for me I dont want a epidural this time because i feel it really effected River when she was born because of the distress she was put under from me not being able to push properly but not everyone has that experience

:shrug: Obviously anyones idea of a positive birth would be a live baby. Personally, I would feel robbed of a birth experience if I had to have a csection but thats just me.

See I think thats a missconception about c-sections I was all the way up to pushing she was all the way down the birthcannal her head was half out. So I feel like I kinda had 'the birth experience' and the 'csection experience' as she had to be pushed back in. (thank god i couldnt frigging feel anything)

From what Ive read on here I think a lot of people think of thier birth very negativly when have live and healthy babies as it didnt go how they wanted it to.

It's also the woman's responsibility though. I don't think it's fair to say that doctors don't do a good enough job educating about epidurals, if the woman doesn't even take the time to ask.

At my monthly appointments, my OB starts by asking, "What questions do you have for me?" Which I always have a million... :)

I agree, it applies a lot to the 'no support on bf' threads too.. slightly OT I know!

My only problem with this is that a woman won't ask a question if she doesn't perceive a problem with the epidural. Most women I've come across haven't had any doubts about the epidural, as it's so common place to get them. So it wouldn't be natural to ask a question about something you perceive as an inevitability, "everyone gets one, so I assume I will too" kind of thing. Why would you ask a question about something you assume is a perfectly normal part of giving birth, unless told otherwise?

This what I was going to say. I honestly wish I had done more research on pain relief, but epidurals are so common, that it is almost amused you will be getting one. At my first pregnancy appointment, I asked about pain relief and was handed a brochure on epidurals.

Also, when I went into labor, the nurses asked if I wanted an epidural, I said yes and they said best decision I could make. :haha: I have absolutely no problem with people getting an epidural, but next time I would like to try a more natural birth because of all the issues the epidural caused me, personally. :thumbup:

But often I do read of people who have a baby to take home who do not feel that they have had a positive birth. Quite frankly I did not care how Emma was delivered. Whether I had a c-section (which is what would have happened had she stopped growing at 32 weeks as was what seemed to have happened), whether I had loads of drugs or whether I had an epi was all completely unimportant as long as I got to take her home with me. Having already given birth to a baby who died in labour it maybe gives me quite a different perspective on all of this. I already had a birth experience, for all the good that it had done us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->