How do you know when it's *the* name?

With my DS we saw him and knew that he was ted. We had a list of about 5 girls names and 5 boys names (team yellow) and although Ted was on the list it wasn't the one we thought we'd go for- Louis was our favorite. With DD her name still doesn't feel like "the one" :shrug:. I think it is because I have another name which is my all time favorite girls name and I'm still kicking myself for not using it!

I agree that you just "know" - hubby and I both had our favourites and we couldn't agree on which way to put them... Jasmine Sofia or Sofia Jasmine. Then I read a book where there was a character called Calista and we just both fell in love with it. It wasn't even on our lists!

I love that your picked DD's name from a character in a book!

Elanore - Sorry you're kicking yourself for not using the other name, but I'm sure she'll grow into the one you've picked :) Although looking at your ticker, Violet is a beautiful name!

We find out in two days what our LO will be! Amelia and Dominic are still our top two and I've stopped looking at names since none of them grab me. But I do still stalk through the baby name threads. Although we don't have to name baby until birth DH wants to start calling them their name once we find out :pink: or :blue:

I think you don't really know until they are born. We had Tristan and Findlay for our son. When he was born and we looked at him he was 100% Tristan. He definitely wasn't a Findlay! I could never name my child before birth for this reason! We are having another boy this time and really struggling for names!

We've had our girl name for years. We've been casually tossing names back and forth for about a decade, and we hit on one that we both loved, and that's what our first daughter has been in our minds ever since. We haven't even considered different girl names for this baby, though we're not really firm in any way on middle names.

We haven't been able to agree on boys names. I think we just have very different taste. He wants Vincent for his grandfather, which is ok but not my favorite. My current favorite is Theodore, and DH likes it, too. But he's still set on Vincent, and I might decide I don't like Theodore in a few months. Since he barely knew his grandfather, I told him I'm only using Vincent if he sits down with his uncle and finds out more about the man and makes sure he's worth naming a baby after, but I'll use it as a middle name no questions asked. We'll see how it goes. If I'm lucky we'll have a girl and we won't have to argue about it ;)

I am obsessed with Amelia! Adorable.

I think you know the name when both your partner and you actually agree on one name :haha: We agree completely on a girl name. But we have NO idea really on a boy name. If we ever agree - I'll just "know"

Agree with pp about the name just suiting a baby. Finlay was our 'compromise' name. We both liked it but each had a name we loved more. When he arrived, he just looked like a Finlay. It was cemented when my sister said 'he looks like a Finlay' when she first met him. She had no idea it was on our short list. I'm also a big fan of 'sleeping on it' to be sure you've chosen the right name.

With my DS we saw him and knew that he was ted. We had a list of about 5 girls names and 5 boys names (team yellow) and although Ted was on the list it wasn't the one we thought we'd go for- Louis was our favorite. With DD her name still doesn't feel like "the one" :shrug:. I think it is because I have another name which is my all time favorite girls name and I'm still kicking myself for not using it!

So I really want to know what your other girls name is now! I love Ted and Violet x

So I really want to know what your other girls name is now! I love Ted and Violet x

Isobel :cloud9:.

I think you just "know" when you find the right name. We had a girls name picked before i was even pregnant but couldn't agree on a boys name. My oh is muslim and i'm not so it had to be something suitable for a muslim but i also wanted it to be a bit westernised as we live in the uk, and i wanted something easy to pronounce and spell. We couldn't agree on anything, there was a few names that one of us loved and the other thought was ok but i wanted something we both loved. I would have been happy with a shortlist of 2 or 3 names then pick when he was born but on christmas day (17 days before lo was born!!) oh's sister suggested Istafa and we both loved it and that was it, name picked! The only annoying thing is i thought it would be easy to pronounce, however loads of people get it wrong! It is pronounced Ista-fa but people say I-stafa!

Well we've been calling baby Amelia since we found out she's a girl and we both still love the name :cloud9:

I just knew when I thought about it a lot. It took us awhile but we finally decided on the name Riyah. Once we decided on the name then came the really hard part of how to spell it. So what I did was write them all down in cursive and went with what looked the nicest to us.

Ya just know, it just clicks...reuben was actually Sam until the night before he was born, and then we were watchin a film and main character was called Reuben carter....and I said to his dad, that's our babies name..it was totally different, neither of us had never heard it before (then gabby Logan called one of her twins it and its gettin more n more popular ggrrrrr)

With meisha her dad picked it, as I just couldn't think of anythin I liked, I did want it spelt mischa but he wanted it the way we chose

With Oakley I wasn't even bothered bout lookin at names as I knew we weren't in. A rush, ( I had ages left).....OH was obsessed with gettin a name picked and was constantly goin thru boys names....he just said Oakley off q list and bam! Just then ut did it for me xx

With Thomas, OH suggested the name when I was about 20 weeks along and it just felt right. I never had any doubts.

With Sophie I agonised over her name. Finally settled on Zoe, but then MIL got a cat and named her Zoe and also the name didn't feel right once I had Sophie. I think she was around 3/4 days old when I tried Sophie out as am alternative name.

It took a couple of weeks to grow on me and sink in but once it did, I knew it was the right name for her.

How did we pick a name? Basically because it was the ONLY name either of us had come up with that didn't make the other one go "Euughh"!! :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->