How do you respond to nosy people asking if you're pregnant?

babytobe

Reaction score
Hi ladies!

Just found out this week that we're expecting our second baby. I'd like to wait until around 9 or 10 weeks to tell our close family, and 12 weeks to tell everyone else....

So what do you say to the nosy people over the next 8 weeks who you just KNOW are going to ask you if you're pregnant? I mean I love these people, so I can't be rude about it. I kind of wish I just would've told everyone we were only planning to have one baby lol!

I was thinking I could say "We're working on it". These people already know or surmise that we were trying, so I kind of feel like that's a nice way of saying "our plans to have another baby are in process and I'd elaborate more if I wanted you to know more".

I think it just annoys me that people ask the question. I don't ask ppl because I think they'll tell me when they're ready!

Any other good responses you've used, or thought of using?

Iv just said that we ate enjoying the practice and hopefully our luck will come in soon! That way you are not lieing but it kind of dodges it. Unless they are super persistent! Xx

I know what you mean, I don't want to lie, (more because I feel like I'm jinxing than being worried about lying).

If it's something like "are you guys gonna try soon" I go with something like "we'll see how things go" which is sort of similar to yours.

If it's more specific like WHEN are you guys gonna try again, or something like that, then I like the pp's idea of tossing a joke in there to throw people off "we love practicing!" or "if it was up to him, we'd be "trying" three times a day!" (of course that one could be taken wrong depending on your situation)

I think the trick is to not react too much tot he question and have the answer come off nonchalant. (easier said than done when your brain is screaming, NOW, NOW! I'm pregnant NOW!) But I think any casual answer will throw them off course.

I'd probably say "just keep your fingers crossed for us!" with a big smile...then quickly change the subject. That way you aren't confirming or denying and if they are the praying type then they will pray for your little one. :hugs:

Good responses! Thanks Ladies. I think being casual about it is a good call. I also like the "we're practicing lots" response!
Funny enough just today one of my friends already asked me if I was pregnant! I said "hopefully"....first thing out of my mouth. And then she asked when my period is due (yup, really wants to know lol), and I said "soon". Haha. Don't know what I'm going to say next time I see her, but that seemed to put it off for now.

I try to change the topic as quickly as I can. So mumble a quick when it happens it happens. Then I throw a question back at the person hoping that it distracts them and forget they asked me a question! Doesn't help that I've had 2 losses so really didn't want news to get out till its stable.

Well I've started blatantly lying to people!!! OOPS lol. I try not to, but some people are seriously annoyingly persistent, so I just outright lied to them. It's actually really annoying when I give an obvious answer that doesn't really answer the question, and they respond with, "But are you actually pregnant then"? Maybe it's just my circle of people I know?! They are CRAZY. I'm not even 7 weeks and I really don't want to tell anyone yet! Oh man, my pregnant self is so sensitive....

I also don't drink hardly at all normally, but I know everyone will be bothering me in a few weeks during xmas gatherings about not drinking. Why do I let this bother me so much? Maybe I should just tell people... haha.

When I had an annoying co-worker ask me about having a baby in my first trimester I just said "that is a very personal question for a thirty-three year old newlywed". And changed the subject. I hate the "was it on purpose" question. So much worse, I've had that from people a lot. My response, "what difference does would that make? We are having a little boy and my husband and I are both already in love with him". People are unintentionally rude and in this day and age of social media privacy has become something you have to fight for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->