How does it work in the US?

Jazavac

Mom to Markus
Reaction score
I'm not pregnant yet, but we're working on it.

I moved to the US two years ago and I am still getting used to the healthcare system here. I'm far from liking it, overall, but there are some pros and cons. Or is it the cons only?

I've only done a couple dentist visits since I came over, along with an annual checkup with an ob/gyn (PAP smear, etc.) and some bloodwork. I've also visited a geneticist and a reproductive endocrinologist.

The pros, so far, seem to be on a very short list. Ok, the US has some pretty cool technology. I'm all for it, when it's needed. The hospitals look nice, at least those I've seen. It's neat that you get your own private room in most cases. Cool. It's nice that, at least in theory, they ask for your permission before things are done.

The cons, well, the list is a lot longer, I suppose. While I like our reproductive clinic staff, for instance, I do not like the approach. They are all really nice and kind people (so are pretty much all the other doctors I've met so far), but I am an adult, I have a brain and, for the most part, I really do understand my own body and health issues that relate to it. I am no doctor myself, but I can usually read test results just fine. I do care about values and numbers and descriptions. I am not happy with: "You are fine. You are less fine. It is within the range of normal. It is not within the range of normal." and I have been having a lot of trouble getting to the point where my paperwork is easily given to me and where the staff talks to me as if I am a teeny bit older than, say, five.

Now, how does this relate to one's birth?

Well, I want to make sure I will have options and that everything will be laid out in front of me so I can pick and choose.

I am likely not the best candidate for a home birth. I have to admit that, given the situation and potential risks (long story, but there's a lot of going on with the two of us as a couple on the genetic basis), I am probably too scared, too. And that's fine. I think I'll overall feel safer to be somewhere within the reach of a nice hospital bunch who could assist if things go wrong. And they might.

At the same time, I do want a natural birth. I absolutely believe that a woman's body can handle both pregnancy and childbirth without assistance, unless things go wrong. And that's how I want things to happen. While I'm all for prenatal testing and will need to go through all kinds of stuff when/if we get pregant, I want the birthing part, barring some horrible scenarios, to go naturally.

Can this even be done in the US? Will they leave me alone if I ask for it? In theory, they do this in my home country, yet they somehow manage to convince almost every woman that any and all procedures they want are necessary and important. I am a tough nut, but I am also aware that it won't be that easy to fight anyone while in labor. (I do plan to prepare my husband, as well, and I might even go with a doula, but still.)

I'm also asking because I've met a few new mothers here in the US and each and every one of them gave birth to their child in our local hospital. C-section for all; classical scenario. A little bit of labor, a little bit of the doctors' impatience, a bit of pitosin, epidural, a bit of this, a bit of that... and a few hours later, C-section and a conehead baby, due to all the sintetic hormones and fruitless effort. I wish for this to stay as away from me as possible.

I am aware that I might actually need a C-section (again the bad case scenarios we might end up dealing with), but in that case, I am sure I will know in advance, anyway.

There seems to be one single birthing center in our state (unless I am failing to locate more) and it's nearly two hours away from where I live. I don't know as of yet how doable or not doable this would be (again, if everything goes well overall).

I'm not getting too much support in my environment, as I don't really know anyone who truly cares about natural birthing, cloth diapers, baby carriers such as wraps and slings... let alone breastfeeding and/or home prepared meals. So I'm pretty much a lone weirdo here.

Anyway.

Will I be able to fight the hospital staff?

Some of the hospitals are better than most at encouraging a more natural approach, but they are few and far between. I highly suggest getting a doula, they will help to be your advocate so that you know all options and are not pushed into something you don't want. In most cases it seems that interventions have a snowball affect. So the doula can help you to find out if an intervention is truely necessary of if they just want a free bed.

That's kind of what I thought.

My thoughts really are - if something goes wrong, pretty much, I'll know way before my due date and will likely need a (planned) C-section. If I get to the point where I am okay to give birth vaginally, I should be able to get through it without meds and procedures.

Too bad I don't believe the doctors would feel the same. :/

Just be sure that what they think is a "necessary planned" c-section is actually necessary. They are just so quick to do a section over here, I just don't want you to feel as disappointed in your birth as I do. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Good luck I hope that it goes just as you want it too!

Oh, I know they're quick.

By necessary, I am mostly referring to some pretty bad outcomes that might happen during pregnancy. If those are ruled out, I won't be agreeing to C-sections of any sort unless there is a real reason for them. I'd probably consider it if the baby was breech, but I'm not sure. Definitely not if all they want happened to be a vacant room.

Only angel2010 knows something about the US? :/

Some of the hospitals are better than most at encouraging a more natural approach, but they are few and far between. I highly suggest getting a doula, they will help to be your advocate so that you know all options and are not pushed into something you don't want. In most cases it seems that interventions have a snowball affect. So the doula can help you to find out if an intervention is truely necessary of if they just want a free bed.

yes, and along the same lines, some OB's are more supportive of natural births than others - so much depends on the OB and the hospital you are delivering at.

i don't know what state you are in, but i would also try to see if there is a Birth Network group organized where you live, or something similar (a doula would be able to direct you to such a group).

I'm in Minnesota, if that's of any help.

I'm in MN too. I wish I could be of more help. I'm pregnant with my first but I haven't been to a regular OB at all for the pregnancy. I am planning a home birh and have been seeing a midwife.

Where in Minnesota are you, if you don't mind my asking?

Why don't you see if there are midwives in your area that deliver at the local hospital? At my hospital, we have a few practices tha are made up of both OB MDs and midwives. As long as you are low-risk, the midwife follows your care in the office and attends your labor and delivery; the MD is available as backup. It makes me sad that so many people go into their labor on the defensive; we (the hospital) are not always against you/trying to make $$/hoping that everyone has a c-section! Look at the hospitals in your area to see what they offer as far as labor goes. At my hospital, we do whatever you want from water births to epidurals. We are not a birth center either; we are a free-standing high-risk women's hospital. I recommend bringing a birth plan that you don't just print off the internet. Actually read about and be informed about what you're putting on there. I have had a patient (I'm a labor and delivery RN) who didn't have an IV, was monitored during labor occasionally with a doppler, and delivered on hands and knees. You can have the birth you want in a hospital, you just have to find a provider that will be supportive of you. And if you feel that your nurse isn't being supportive of your wishes, then fire her -- yes, you can fire your nurse and they will find another one. Just remember that sometimes the hospital staff does know what they're doing. We have seem the worst complications possible and strive to prevent bad things from happening to mom & baby, but a vaginal delivery is the goal for everyone. IVs aren't neccessary unless you're GBS positive (and you're not going to be able to talk your way out of that one although i know it's not as big a deal in Europe as it is here.) Continuous EFM is not necessary unless they see a problem with the baby's heart rate, and then there are cordless montiors available (if the hospital you deliver at has them.) Unfortunately, you may not know that you'll need a c-section beforehand; sometimes things don't go as you plan. Sometimes, babies don't tolerate labor or you can have complications such as a prolapsed cord or severe pre-eclampsia that require a c-section to save your or your baby's life. At the risk of making people angry, there is such as a thing as an emotional dystocia of labor. If you're very uptight about how you want things to go and you're so distrustful of everyone involved, then you can actually slow your labor progress.

Thanks, Betsy.

At this point, I am not going door to door yet, as I'm not even pregnant (just hopeful and waiting to see a BFsomething in a few days). In our town, there's just one hospital, a Mayo Health System clining and, while I don't at all doubt their skills, I doubt their desire to let me get things my way.

The pregnancy itself, once it happens, might be labeled risky (per our geneticist's words). It won't be because of what me or my body could do, but because of the possible genetic conditions the baby could have. But we'll see.

I already have a list of things I would and would not like and I will most definitely bring a personal plan in. For now, I just hope I won't be a C-section candidate from the beginning - basically, if I am, there might be something wrong with the baby from the start, too, and that could be a major issue. There are some doulas and midwives here in our area and, as much as I know, you can bring them with you wherever you go.

I don't know as of yet what other hospitals exist in the area, that are not as far from here as the birthing center is that I mentioned in my first post.

pester, I have to admit I just had to google Monticello and now I see it's not even as far from here as I thought.

I don't know where you are but the midwife I am using is out of savage. She might be a great one to sit down and talk to. She recently had a hospital birth herself after she unexpectly went into premature labor. Good luck.

Thanks for the info!

I'll be more than likely looking into finding a doula and/or midwife when I am actually closer to having a child. Right now I'm just learning about all of the options. Sometimes I feel like the worst control freak ever.

Thanks for the info!

I'll be more than likely looking into finding a doula and/or midwife when I am actually closer to having a child. Right now I'm just learning about all of the options. Sometimes I feel like the worst control freak ever.

Absolutly! She dose interviews pre-conception too. Thats why I thought of her. She might be a good one just to get information from so you have a better idea of your options.Good luck on your journey.

I'll see what happens in a week or so (waiting for a BFsomething), so I will let you know if I will need her contact information right away, or in a little while. Thanks again!

As others have pointed out, YES you absolutely can have a natural birth in a hospital in the US. The key is finding the right doctor; honestly, I'd start interviewing and gathering recommendations now so that you can start seeing him/her for pre-conception (if you have any difficulties in that area) and prenatal appointments as soon as you get your BFP. It may be a little harder if you have only one hospital in your area, but don't give up. Technically, you can refuse any treatment, but its better, of course, to find someone who won't try to pressure into interventions that you don't want and aren't necessary. And, having a doula who can be your advocate will be especially important if the doctors at your hospital are less than cooperative. There are alot of unnecessary c-sections and inductions in the US, but natural births are on the rise, and most hospitals are taking note of this and providing more options for low-risk mothers.

We have a reproductive endocrinologist we're working with, as well as a geneticist. The latter is in fact a lot more important than the former. Both are in the Cities, meaning about an hour and a half to two from where we live.

There's an ob/gyn who is, supposedly, my primary doctor here in our town, but I don't particularly care for her to be honest.

I guess I need to look into meeting more doctors and choosing someone to stick with.

I have had two natural births in hospitals. I personally prefer hospital birth to home birth due to some family history of complications, and my husband would absolutely FREAK OUT if I suggested home birth ;)

I am a pretty assertive person, so it never even dawned on me that I would be talked into something. I had originally planned on an epidural for my first (in hindsight I really don't know why - everyone else was doing it I suppose?) but got to the hospital FAR too late for it (baby born within 30 minutes or less... it was all a blur). I do know that hospital staff can have a HUGE impact on whether or not interventions happen - sometimes its obvious and sometimes more subtle. I'd say the nursing staff at the hospital is almost more important to get on board early with the natural thing than the OB, but obviously if you have an OB you don't agree with, you are going to be in for some problems. I was lucky to have a very supportive nursing staff around for both births - but at the same hospital, my cousin had a totally different and negative experience.

Also, I don't think you are too much of a control freak at all! TBH, I wish I had done more research up front, although I lucked out and ended up with very good, supportive practitioners. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->