How Does the Daddy Bond?

jjhughes

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm a graduate student at Indiana University and I'm doing a project on designing technology that can help fathers feel more connected to their unborn (and newborn) child. We as woman obviously feel a huge connection to the baby, as it is growing inside of us, but how can we help the father start to feel the connection? I thought what better way to get research on this than asking real people?

If you can answer any of the questions below, it would be a great help. You can answer it for the father (by say that you are), or have the father answer themselves.

What did you (the father) do/are doing to help make a connection between you and your child? (both born and unborn)

What do you wish you could do, but don't have the means?

You may also respond if you have any other opinions or thoughts on the topic. Anything can be helpful! You might also help other expecting fathers learn new tips!

Thanks! And let me know if you have any questions.

I asked my hubby and he said :

What did you (the father) do/are doing to help make a connection between you and your child? (both born and unborn)

unborn- talking to her, rubbing my tummy and feeling her kick.

after she was born- he has always been in charge of bathtime, it's their special bonding time and he loves it. Also baby massage, naps with her in a nappy only and him with his top off, anything that involves skin to skin.

What do you wish you could do, but don't have the means?

He wishes he could feel what it's like to feel her kick from inside his body

My husband is a wonderful man, he would just always be really involved with his girls from newborn to now.
So pretty much as newborns, he would bath, feed (didnt bf my 2nd daughter) plenty of hugs & kisses, settle them, taking them out for walks in their pram, this is why my girls absolutely adore their dad, he's a truly switched on dad.

My DH would talk to her (and about her). He was really excited to go to the 20 week U/S. He would help me in any way possible too. He would feel her move from the outside occasionally too. I think all that helped him to bond with her even though he couldn't see her.

For my OH, having his ear to my belly, rubbing, watching and feeling her kick are ways for him to feel close. He always kisses my belly aswell :) he also prays for her every night (he's a Christian)

I will ask him the second question when I see him after work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->