How does this happen?

TwilightAgain

LTW for our LO <3
Reaction score
Let me start this post by saying i'm not intending to offend anyone in any way, I know everyone makes mistakes etc etc......

But i'm just watching a few episodes of underage and pregnant and time and time again, the couples say they were shocked to discover they were pregnant - yet admit they weren't using any contraception either......I don't understand how it can come as such a surprise then? :dohh:

Poor sex ed maybe? I remember at school people believing you couldnt get pregnant if you did it standing up or in a pool or if he pulled out.

Yeah I agree, poor sex education can lead to very bad knowledge. There were people at our school that said things like the first time you have sex you can't get pregnant etc. It shouldn't be such a shock but sometimes it can be because of this xx

I agree with poor sex education, but my brother and his girlfriend said they stopped using birth control and see what would happen and then were shocked she is pregnant!

i think there is also the element of "it'll never happen to me" and immature belief that only girls who sleep around get pregnant as teens. we all know the story of a girl who gets pregnant the 1st time she has sex but everyone calls her a slag and says she is easy.

Bless, it's not just young people :/ I know a forty year old that said the same thing x

Most there are a few people I know that tell everyone is was a surprise/ accident. When infact they were Ntnp or even ttc in poor circumstance.

I might be naive but surely no one really believes that having sex without protection leads to anything but babies?

TBH I was pregnant unexpectedly when I was 18.. on the pill, no condom, figured it would be ok, and that it wouldn't happen to me.

Not having been in education for quite some time so i guess i can't really say for certain but......i can't believe it can be blamed on poor sex ed. They start telling children about sex younger and younger so i can't believe that it never comes up in discussion that it can actually happen 1st time, standing up, if you are on the pill etc.

I think it comes down more to the people believing it won't happen to them.

I've got a coil fitted and i still worried last month when i was late by 5 days for the 1st time since i was last late which was when i was pregnant with Esther.

I have to say that i did chuckle to myself when a lady i know of who has a number of children said that their last was a surprise. they weren't using any BC so i wasn't sure how it could be a surprise lol

I think it's bordom. Or they think that they can't get pregnant if they have sex "just once."

I think it's because they can't really imagine being pregnant, and so they just don't believe it will happen to them. They are in denial, so when it does happen, they feel surprised, even though that's illogical.

It's like drinking and driving. People convince themselves that the one time, or few times, that THEY drink and drive, surely a terrible accident will not happen. But, of course, it can and sometimes does.

(I don't mean to compare pregnancy to a terrible accident. It's just an example of denial that comes to mind.)

It's surprising how many young folk don't realise tbh. As PP have said it's just poor sex ed, also I guess some kids believe it won't happen to them, after all it is such a massive thing to happen

xo

If you have sex standing up you can't get pregnant :smug:

Yeh i totally don't get the suprise thing either...

I was terrible at taking my pill but I was shocked when I found out I was pregnant. I didn't intend to fall pregnant and I was pretty crap at taking it but yeah I can't say it was totally unexpected because I just thought ah it won't happen to me. Stupid really lol

I know in my school, they taught sex education as part of PSHE (Physical, Social and Health Education) so it was barely touched on every few months. They talked more about the importance of a condom for STIs and of course we knew sex made a baby but there was a lot of sniggering going on, it was the regular teacher who seemed a bit embarressed and the boys and girls were in together.
I left school 10 years ago, I have nieces and nephews who are 21, 19, 16 and 13. They talk quite openly about things like that and have had a much more recent sex education than mine, but still they things they believe are unreal.
I don't know what its like in other schools in other areas or other countries. But I can believe that even now there are schools out there with a poor level of education.

I agree that people just think it won't happen. Some people find it do hard to get pregnant, then there's those like me that had a little one while on birth control x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->