How early can a gender scan be done?

Irish Baby

Reaction score
Have been looking online and a lot seem to say 20 weeks! Did any of ou ladies find out earlier?? 20 weeks is so far away :shrug:

You usually go for a scan somewhere between 18 and 22 weeks but more commonly 20 weeks and at that time they are able to tell the sex of the baby if they get a good shot of the goods! Haha

You can get scans over here at 14 weeks x

16 weeks. However, I found out at 14 weeks.
Some won't tell you prior to 16 weeks, as that's more chance of inaccuracy though.

The earliest I was able to book a private gender scan was 16 weeks.

I've seen loads of people on here having private scans from 16 weeks

Private scans are often from 16 weeks. I just had a scan at 13+5 we said we didnt want to know the gender. He started by saying it was too early to say anyway but then first thing baby showed was a perfect potty shot and he said he could tell us if we wanted. It was tempting but we managed to stay firmly team yellow :). With DS he guessed correctly at about the same time but said it wasnt 100%. We had it confirmed shorly after because I had the harmony blood test which can also show the gender. With DD he said he was 100% sure it was a girl at 16+3. A lot depends on the sonographer and the how good the equipment is. We had a scan with someone else at 18 weeks with DD and she said it was impossible to tell the gender until 20 weeks, we had already known the gender for 2 weeks :).

16 weeks and up is the most accurate. You can make an educated guess between 12-13 weeks using nub theory if you get just the right angle... But for actually being able to determine (reliably) the gender by the baby's bits, it's 16 weeks. Some elective ultrasound offices will try at 15 weeks, but it isn't guaranteed. I think most people say 20 weeks because at their routine medical scan around that time, the tech will often take a guess. But private scan start earlier.

We had ours at 16 weeks. Team blue this time :) Had nub guesses at 14 weeks in this pregnancy and last pregnancy by experienced sonographers at our fertility clinic that were both wrong so don't hold much faith in being able to tell before then, I think it can be hit or miss.

Here the earliest we can find out is 18-20 weeks! So far away

There's a private ultrasound place in the area that will start doing early gender scans at 15 weeks. I'm booking one after my 12 week ultrasound in a few weeks!

We can have it done at 15 weeks here. Why don't you get the blood test now, instead of waiting for a scan?

I found out with my daughter at 15+4 but most private places won't tell you until 16weeks x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->