How effective is the Pull Out method?

fairycat

Reaction score
A brief back story - my fiance and I are getting married this weekend. Last month in the craziness of wedding planning, I forgot to start my pill for the month. Since we were planning to try for a baby the next month I figured it was no big deal. We were safe for last month - we wanted to wait until this month to try to get pregnant.

Last week we got his genetic testing results back and he's positive for being a CF carrier. His brother died of it a few years ago. Doc told us to get him tested first and if he wasn't a carrier then I wouldn't have to get tested. Been telling him for the past 6 months to do it and he put it off. So now I had to get tested - did that last week and it takes at least 2 weeks to get the results back. So this has now thrown off our plans of trying this month. I was more upset about it than I thought I would be.

Fast forward to my question - my fertile days started yesterday and I'm due to O on Thursday. We did the unprotected BD'ing today, but he was doing the pull out thing. How effective is that? I've heard different things. I can foresee us doing it again, since this is our wedding week. He absolutely doesn't want me pregnant before I get my results back. And not gonna lie - it's quite a turn on for both of us knowing I could possibly get pregnant under the right circumstances. It's a bunch of mixed emotions right now. We both hate condoms so that option is pretty much out. Timing sucks.

We have been using it with no problem for 3 months now so I would not worry too much �� fingers xed for results x

I've used it on and off over the years and never got pregnant until we tried on purpose. I think as long as he has good control you're all good. Hope your results are ok xx

Depends on how in control he is... we used it for a few months but we also had a couple "oopsies" where he didn't pull out in time... it was not at the right time in the cycle so didn't get pregnant, but I wouldn't chance it personally if something as serious as CF is at stake.

Thanks for the responses. We're pretty sure my result is going to come up negative, but you never know. Thanks for sending good thoughts my way. He has great control and knows himself well, so I think we will probably be ok. He's not really too worried about it, surprisingly.

We only used the pull out method. We've been married 5 years, only get pregnant when we're actively ttc. Pull out method works great for us.

The pull-out has always been completely successful for us, the only time that we've ever been pregnant was when we didn't pull out. Sorry about all of the testing and worry with that, but congrats on your wedding! :D

I used pull out for about 2 years exclusively with no pregnancy. When I began trying I got pregnant within 1-3 months each time.

We only used the pull out method. We've been married 5 years, only get pregnant when we're actively ttc. Pull out method works great for us.

Ditto exactly, except we've used pull out 4 years.

And trust me, when you are pregnant, how long it took to get pregnant won't matter. Don't worry about one month of waiting :hugs:

Lastly, I completely feel you on the "risky" sex being extra hot!

We used the pull out method for almost 5 years before I got pregnant using it. Works until it doesn't. :haha:

I used it for nearly 2 and a half years. It worked perfectly and I got pregnant on my first cycle TTC.

I used it in conjunction with charting so DH only pulled out before ovulation was confirmed...after I'd oved he could do as he pleased.

However, now I've had my little one, I absolutely cannot get pregnant for a few years, so I've had a copper coil fitted. I was fine with the pull out method when getting pregnant 'accidentally' wasn't really a problem, but now it would be a huge problem so I've gone for something more reliable :)

I hope you test negative as a carrier, and wish you a wonderful wedding day and a smooth, easy TTC journey :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->