How exact is an early scan for dating?

maisie78

Mum
Reaction score
I had an early scan on Saturday. Lmp would have put me at 8 weeks but with my long cycles I guessed I was about 7 weeks but the sonographer said I was actually about 6+2. This can't be right because looking at the dates with work and everything we didn't dtd the week the scan says I would have conceived. We saw baby's hb but now I'm really worried they are measuring behind. Can an early scan be nearly a week out?

Yep! I had an early scan which dated me at 9+2. I then went for my 12 week scan at 11+2 and was told i was actually bang on 12 weeks.

Scans aren't really that exact - it depends on the skill of the sonographer and the angle at which they take the measurements. They changed my date with DD so many times I lost track of when she was due - try not to worry! (Easier said than done, I know!) :hugs:

Thanks ladies that's made me feel a bit better. Got my booking appointment with the midwife tomorrow so I'll speak to her about it. I have a feeling nothing is going to be easy with this one. Clearly going to be a boy, only men can be this awkward lol ;)

Hi Maisie
Hope Gabriella is doing ok today :) every time I see that pic with the sunnys it makes me smile :)
Yeah the scans thing is hit and miss this time mine have been accurate however with Harry I was put forward then back then forward again
Don't worry next scan I bet baby is in front lol

Emma

She's really good thanks Emma. She is almost crawling, just a few shuffles forward and back, and she is showing signs of trying to pull up on the furniture so we are feeling really proud and excited at the moment :) Hope Harry is well xxx

They can be inaccurate, I'm guessing that my experiences were just because I was being seen at the epau but I'd had an early private dating scan and put at 7+3 I think, then at what should have been 11 weeks at tge epau they said oh no heartbeat and measuring 6 weeks. I said are you sure as I had a scan measuring 7 weeks etc and they re measured as growth stopped at 8 weeks.
The sizes are tiny we are sometimes talking less then 1mm between dates and lots of variables can determine how accurate the measurements are.
Plus they are only averages from statistics.
Xx

I'm kind of going through the same thing. I went in yesterday for a scan. I should've been 7 weeks but she initially scanned me at 5 weeks 6 days then at 6 week 3 days. She was slightly concerned only because of my past MMC. I did hear a heartbeat though. I'm trying to stay positive and have another scan on June 25. Hoping it'll be ok for the both of us.

Yes the baby is so tiny at this stage it's not that accurate, I had a scan at 8 week, 9 week and 12 week but by the time I went for my 12 week scan I was measuring a week infront of the dates given at my early scans x

Awww, I'm sure everything is fine!! You probably just had a slightly longer cycle than you thought!

I'm the other way round, and have cycles of exactly 23-24 days. Had an early scan yesterday after a bit of a scary bleed on Friday, and baby was 3 days ahead of where I thought, exactly the same as big brother Harry on his 13 week scan :)

They are also not that accurate early on, as it's such a small area to measure and depends on the angle of your womb etc.

Hope you feel more reassured!! Xx

Sometimes the baby implants later than "normal" which could make you not as far along as you would think. With my 3 girls I had 28 day cycles. I knew when I ovulated yet all three were 3-5 days behind :)

Bless her that's great ! She will get there she sounds like she's very determined already which is fab :) I love it when they do new things it means so much cause they are such big steps for them :)
Harry is going through a lovely phase of throwing things the proper word is casting he loves the feeling of when things hit the floor part if his sensory seeking only trouble is I have to be constantly one step ahead cause if he can reach it he will chuck it lol

Emma

Gabriella does that too. I just thought it was her age and never considered it could be sensory stimulation. Very interesting and the dogs are thoroughly enjoying it because they are generally getting most of her lunch ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->