How far will you have to travel to give birth?

Sassysas

Reaction score
Our town found out last week that our maternity services will be downgraded and all consultants will be moved to a hospital in another town,which on a good day, is a 40 minute drive away. I'm now panicking as I'm classed as high risk and will definately have to travel there to give birth. I'm thinking of all sorts of scenarios already as my last delivery ended up in an emergency c-section and if history should repeat itself I'm sure my baby will come to harm :(
I guess I'm just after some reassurance and that a 40-60 minute journey won't be as harmful as i think it will be.

It'll be 20-30 minutes for us which was fine last time. People come from much further afield to this same hospital though. A woman I know had to travel 50 minutes, it was her second and it wasn't an issue at all, apart from being uncomfortable.
I'd just make sure that you go in when you feel you need to and don't let them talk you into waiting a bit longer.

Our hospital is about a mile up the road, and where I live we can use a back country road to get to it, so about a 2-3 minute drive.

I'm also classed as high risk and have to travel to a further away hospital, it's about 30 mins away, but the problem is neither me or my partner drive, and will be relying on public transport which doubles the journey time. :(

I'm about 2 minutes in the car away, not even half a mile. Our issue is that my OH has a job where I can't get hold of him and he's a hour away :/.

Our hospital is 40 mins away depending on traffic, we live in Cornwall so its a lot longer at certain times. I was worried about the journey but as baby should be burn just before the summer rush I think it will be about 40 mins which hopefully wont be too bad. I wouldn't worry too much unless you have really quick labours because if there are any complications surely you can have an ambulance which will be quicker. I think the worse thing will be being in so much pain whilst stuck in the car as you can't do anything about it.

We're 20 minutes away. But it feeds most of North Wales so there's people having to come from and hour and a half away!

I suppose the advice I can offer is just get in the car as soon as you feel anything!

Thank you for your replies! I much prefer the sound of the 2-3 minute drives (which is what it would be if they hadn't downgraded the maternity services) I did think about the ambulance...i guess I have to wait until nearer the time. This whole situation is making me rethink trying for vbac though as I'm just too scared that something is going to go wrong :(

I had about an hour drive to the hospital when DS was born. The drive seemed like it took about 3 times that long at the time, as I was in hard labour. I remember it was snowing a bit that day but I was sooo hot so I had the window open all the way and OH was frozen for the whole drive :haha: But we got there with lots of time. Just make sure you have everything packed and ready to go for when labour starts.

This time I'm having a planned csection so the drive wont be an issue.

I think I can give birth at a hospital 10 minutes away :)

Hopefully nowhere as wanting a homebirth but if I do go in about 10-15 mins drive away.

I just walked upstairs - it was a planned homebirth ;)

If I'd had to transfer in it would have been about 45mins. I wasn't worried at all! You don't need to worry - a 50min drive for a planned hospital birth is perfectly ok.

I'm an hour away from the hospital and I'm the only driver... My husband doesn't have a license so I'm a bit terrified! Still I have 13 weeks minimum, unless they let me go to 40 weeks then its 15, to figure it out :)

What would really annoy me is if we go to the hospital and they send us home because it's too "early". I suppose we'd just rent a b&b nearby, there's one across the road, lol. xx

A little over 40 miles. So maybe 50 minutes?

I think I am in a very similar dilemma - think it might even be the same hospitals!

My local one, where I gave birth last time is 5 mins away. Now midwife only and have to go 40 mins to one with a consultant / doctor.

I was classed high risk at last moment with DD so I am now worried that I would have to be transferred in labour all that way.

I think I might just opt to go the 40 mins to start with to have the doctors. They are mad doing this!!!! I can't believe that a town our size should be downgraded.

It is a worry we don't need!

What would really annoy me is if we go to the hospital and they send us home because it's too "early". I suppose we'd just rent a b&b nearby, there's one across the road, lol. xx

That happened to a friend's friend last week as she was 1cm dilated when she got to the hospital. By the time she got back home she was fully dilated and ended up giving birth in her hallway.
I'm liking your idea of renting a b&b!

I think I am in a very similar dilemma - think it might even be the same hospitals!

My local one, where I gave birth last time is 5 mins away. Now midwife only and have to go 40 mins to one with a consultant / doctor.

I was classed high risk at last moment with DD so I am now worried that I would have to be transferred in labour all that way.

I think I might just opt to go the 40 mins to start with to have the doctors. They are mad doing this!!!! I can't believe that a town our size should be downgraded.

It is a worry we don't need!

I think we are talking about the same hospital.
Stephen Lloyd published a message last week stating that these changes will be for at least 18 months and from what I've heard they are not increasing the number of midwives to cope with the increased numbers of mums who will have to use their facilities :(

It's absolutely shocking what they have done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->