How Good Has Your GP Been So Far ?

Louisa K

Reaction score
Hi Everyone !!

I found out I was pregnant about 2 weeks ago and Im about 6 weeks pregnant now, my due date is 05/05/2008, so Im very early days but so far so good.

I just wondered how good your GP / doctor / midwife has been, because I've been really disappointed with the health care I've received so far.

Basicly so far this is whats happened:

Went to doctors so that they could confirm I was pregnant when I first found out. Was told to go home and that they dont confirm the pregnancy "we believe you dear" is what they said.

Anyway I went and brought yet another test and tested again, I still couldnt believe I was pregnant!! lol probably because Im so happy !!

Last week went to the doctors to have an ante-natal appointment with another doctor who told me my due date and wrote down my weight. I was in and out in 10 minutes. Gave me a bit of paper and told me to go to the hospital to have a blood test.

No advise on whats good/bad for me to do while pregnant. No advise on diet, what foods to avoid etc

Didnt ask me how I felt, if I had any concerns. Didnt tell me to stop taking my antibiotics, which lucky for me I knew I shouldnt be taking and stopped myself !!

I kinda just feel like no one has bothered, which Im really disappointed about, lucky the interent is here, because Ive found everything I needed to know online myself !!

I dont even know if whats going on in my belly is going well and if things are as they should be !!

I know the doctor at the ante-natal appointment told me I'll have 2 scans, the first being in about 6 weeks time. Seems like ages away. Booo !!

Anyway how have you found your health care ?

i seem to remember my doctor being useless initially, but i got a load of leaflets etc on my booking appt, scan is usually around 12 and 20 weeks, was even less care with my 2nd child.

welcome to b n b xx

Thats really sad that they didn't sit down with you.. I remember with my first pregnancy we sat down and went over all the details during a nurse visit... Did they ask you any questions as far as health issues in the family of both you and the Daddy?
Hmm.. I would consider looking for a new doctor.. Do it now while its still early on.

Nope nothing like that, I was thinking I just havent got to that stage where they ask you that stuff, but when I started reading this forum it seemed that other people were getting much better advise from their GP so I was a little confused really..

You usually get a booking in visit with your midwife at around 12 weeks and she goes through various stuff with you.
When i found out i was pregnant they just said thats fine and we will book to with the midwife and that was it untill the Midwife came at 12 weeks. I was 7 weeks when i found out.
So it sounds about normal.

Hi Lousia, my first appointment was not until 9 weeks, but when I booked my appointment at 6 weeks they did not give me any information at all. However, at my first appointment they did sit with me for quite a while and discuss medical history, food to avoid, how to manage morning sickness etc. and addressed any questions I had.

I'm sure you could call them if you do have question between now and your first appointment, perhaps make a list of all your ques and run them by your midwife or nurse?

I know how you feel though, it's such a monumental event, you figured docs would have a lot more to offer you, especially in the early stages.

Hi, thanks for the replies, yeah Im kinda thinking I should stop being a stress head and just wait a while, Im expecting to much to soon probably.. lol

I'm sorry that your first visit wasn't as exciting and informative as it **should** have been! Personally... I wouldn't hesitate to voice some of that concern. Maybe the next time you book an appointment ask if there will be some time to discuss some things with the doctor or even nurse. My Doctor is great but the nurses are where I get all of my info.
:hugs: I hope it gets better! Its good that you know where all of your resources are!

I had a new GP from moving house who i hadnt seen up until i found out i was pregnant and i didnt like him at all. I've had two appointments cancelled and when i first told him i was pregnant he kept sayin "and you're sure you want to go through with it" i realise he was being thorough and I am young but i felt he was being judgemental. then when my step son caught slapped cheek sydrome and i was worried he was unavailable (not in the surgery) to do blood tests so i got sent to the hospital and then he rang me a day later and told me slapped cheek sydrome was nothing to worry about even though the midwife had told me it can cause miscarriage and if i did have it then i would have to be scanned regularly so in answer to your question my GP is pants!!!

Sounds about normal, the GPs don't have a lot to do with pregnancy etc, it's left up to the midwives by and large

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->