How likely is it...

happycupcake

‘Mrs Hudson took my skull.’
Reaction score
That a sonographer would miss more than one baby during an early scan? I am curious. We had a private scan at what we thought was just over 7 weeks but she did this abdominally and I hadn't drunk much assuming it would be vaginal as all other early scans with my other babies had been. You could barely see anything. It was actually really frustrating because compared to the others you just can't make the pictures out properly! It was also very quick, over and done with, I think because she was running quite late and there were others waiting for their scans.
Anyway she said 'and just the one in there', which is fine, as long as they're healthy! But despite the fact I know there probably really is only the one in there, I have felt so rubbish this time and from so early (way before we found out), and my tests were super dark. Much darker than I have ever had. I had darker tests with DD but not 100% certain what dpo I was with her as I hadn't had a cycle, and I honestly can't remember how the dates with scans added up now. Could be girls giving more symptoms and darker lines perhaps... Just wondered what other people's multiple experiences were and how likely it was, under the circumstances, the scan wasn't accurate. Have a scan soon so will know soon enough!

These are my FRERs... Also had 1-2 digi at 10dpo, 2-3 at 13dpo and a 3+ at 20dpo (5w 1d)

IMG_0302.JPG

Last edited:
My tests were super dark this time round like yours and there is defo only 1 baby. I think they would have spotted a second sac or baby at 7 weeks so id trust what they said

Mine too, super dark tests from 9dpo but just one baby :) I think if there was two they would have seen despite not being clear if it was clear enough to determine one baby, they could see another if it was there, maybe?

She's probably right but it was just so rushed. Whenever I have had early scans at hospital they took more time to really look around, and you could see very clearly what was what. But I have put on weight, or not shifted the baby weight from last year, didn't really drink much either, as I was sure it would be transvaginal but then she just did abdominal and the difference is huge. It threw me as well that she put me back quite a few days, which I know isn't unusual but I haven't been put back that far before except when I miscarried at 8 weeks. I thought it was odd given my tests have been the darkest I have had also. I don't know if that makes sense, it does in my head haha
I'm not bothered either way, as long as he or she is healthy, it's just been a nagging voice in my head. I felt disappointed with the scan as one reason aside from checking all was well was to find out if there was just the one in there and I came away feeling annoyed that we paid a small fortune for something we didn't feel was all that clear. I like to see myself clearly what's what, rather than solely relying on the word of someone else, if that makes sense

I think it'd be rare for a sonographer to miss one. Not saying it can't/doesn't happen bc we all hear the anecdotal stories about it happening, but at 7 weeks I think it'd be unlikely. I'd think an abdominal scan would increase the likelihood of missing one, but still think it'd be rare simply because sonographers do these thousands of times and know what they are looking for/at.

I'll add too that when I was pregnant with daughter, my tests were really dark. I thought they were faulty bc the test line was so much darker than the control and I had never seen that with my other pregnancies. I had my hcg tested and at 20DPO it was already over 18,000, so that explained the really dark tests.

I'm sorry the scan was disappointing. I wish sonographers, regardless of how busy they may be, realized how important the scans are for us and would take their time and give us a clear scan. Wishing you the best.

I googled this too haha. Apparently it’s super uncommon. Basically the first baby has to perfectly cover the second baby for it to happen, because in early scans the sonographer is supposed to take measurements of your entire uterus - which is still very small at that gestation. Even though it looks big on the screen, in reality it’s a small area to scan so it’s really hard for them to miss a twin. But it has happened!

She didn't take measurements of anything else, she didn't look at anything else. They're not really meant to do abdominal that early because it isn't as accurate as vaginal, you can't get clear measurements or a clear picture of everything. The scans I had this early with the others were much clearer, even the one I had at 5+6 was clearer than this one. I'm kind of in two minds whether to make a complaint tbh

I will admit though when I had an early scan on this baby, at 7+2 baby measured 4 days behind, not much I know but I too felt like the scan was rushed and thought maybe the measurements were out and that they made a mistake, I had an abdominal scan, and when i had my 12 week scan baby was pushed forward 4 days, exactly to what i thought from the beginning! I'm not sure how easy it would be for them to miss a twin, but they can get the measurements off when I worried that the baby wasnt growing okay... so they can make mistakes in that sense, but unsure on the twin situation, I guess only time will tell!

From what I read online it isn't a common thing but scans that early shouldn't be done abdominally because it's much easier to miss something and also get measurements wrong whereas vaginally gives a much clearer picture. So not common, but more likely with abdominal scans than vaginal

My tests have been SUPER dark this time around too I got a clear BFP on a cheapie test at 8dpo. They only saw 1 fetal pole on my scan yesterday. I've had twins previously and it was very clear on the abdominal scan that there was two sacs at just over 6 weeks TV scan showed 2 clear heartbeats.

I don't think a twin goes easily missed, unless they're in the same sac but they're not the most common type of twins.

Where are you? I'm in the UK and here (or in my area at least) they don't routinely look at heartbeat on ultrasound. Privately or NHS. I don't know why though

Where are you? I'm in the UK and here (or in my area at least) they don't routinely look at heartbeat on ultrasound. Privately or NHS. I don't know why though

That's one of the main things they look at at my early scans, heartbeat and measurements?

That's one of the main things they look at at my early scans, heartbeat and measurements?
Sorry I was tired and misread. I thought you said measure heartbeat, which doesn't happen but yes they do obviously check for a heartbeat. I don't think my brain has been awake for a good 12 weeks haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->