How long do they let you go over due date?

Thumbelina 3

1 child of 2 years 9month
Reaction score
I'm in the south west of the U.K. and wondered how long the midwife/hospital let you go over due before doing a sweep of inducing?ive heard its 14 days so 42 weeks?is there any reason they would do it sooner?im just over 38 weeks so not there yet but majorly stressing out about labour!its my second child and my daughter started coming at 39 plus 3 and finally arrived 1 day before her due date. I know they say your second can come earlier but I have a feeling this one won't. Thus one is also a boy and I keep being told boys are generally late?he us measuring above average. At just over 36 weeks was measuring nearer 38 weeks not sure that makes a difference. With my first I also tried every method known to get her to come by due date as was so sick still as am I this time. So not sure if any of those methods maybe helped I.e raspberry leaf tea& tablets, sex, hot curry, clary sage oil inhaled and rubbed in bump (not doing that this time as sure made contractions ten times worse and prolonged labour!)sorry for essay lol

At my hospital they don't induce until 14 days overdue. With my son I got a stretch and sweep at 40+1 d and had him at 40+3 so never got induced. It all depends on your hospital but they should do you a stretch and sweep anytime after your due date. X

I know they offer sweeps before 42 weeks, I imagine it varies depending on which midwife though. My friend was offered one at 41 weeks.

Mine won't let you go past week 41 as far as I know. I wish they'd give until week 42 because I feel that's when a lot of people go. I went early with my son, but it would be reassuring to know I'd have as much time as possible.
I don't know for sure when they start doing sweeps, but I think it is week 40. Most people I know who had one, had it at week 39 or 40. Maybe you could see if they'd do it for you at week 40. It can't hurt to ask.

I 'm in the US, so it's not applicable to your situation --- but my doc won't let me go over 40+2 because of my age (39).

My dr was against me going later than 41 weeks but that's probably a case by case type of thing. My fluids were measuring low and had been borderline for weeks before.

My current dr also said it differs based on the person and will discuss it when we get there. She has some ppl go to 41 weeks, some 42.

You are "allowed" to go as long as you want. It doesn't matter where you are, nobody can force you into an induction. It's your choice.

I'm also in the south west and DD2 was born at 40+5. On hindsight I have no idea why they let me go over when they were predicting baby would weigh 10lb (she was infact 10lb 9oz). However, my midwife was intending to do a stretch and sweep at 41 weeks if baby hadn't appeared before then. X

I know this doesn't apply as I'm in the US, but both my sister's got to pick their induction dates within a few days window, and also within a few days of their due date, before or after.

I'm in the South West too, Exeter. Here they do a sweep once you've passed your due date and induce at 12 days over, though it can be a day or two either side depending on whether they have space on the ward.

Thankyou for your replies. Ooh I really don't fancy pushing out a nearly 11 pound baby!yikes hope mine isn't quite that big. Eleanor we are plymouth but had by daughter at Exeter I seem to remember they said 12 days over there they would induce but not sure about here!im really hoping he doesn't go over due but we shall see!i don't want to be induced either though!

I'm pretty sure after 42 weeks is considered over-due. I'm not sure how long they'll let you go, but as much as I'm ready to be done at 39 weeks, I'd still push to be monitored versus induced.

I come under York hospital and my midwife offered a sweep at 40 and 41 weeks. If you consent you're automatically booked in for induction at 12 days overdue. Currently at 40 + 3 and feeling really impatient! Convinced I'll end up going the 12 days over!

My hospital are happy to let you go 10 days overdue I think. I had a stretch and sweep with DS on my due date as the midwife could see I was already 2-3cm dilated. He came 36 hours later 😊 x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->