How long should LO be in froggy position in Mei Tai?

Piperette

Proud Mummy to 2 Boys
Reaction score
Hi,

As the title says. How long should the froggy position be used and when can they start having their legs out on both sides of the Mei Tai?

Thanks.
:flower:

I'm sure there's an official answer (and it may be different for different carriers) but as a guide, I'd say as long as your LO is comfortable like that. If the baby automatically froggies their legs when you hold them to your chest, then stick them in the carrier like that. Once they start pushing their legs out or struggling if you froggy their legs, I'd let them have them out. You might find with a mei tai that the body of the carrier is too wide for them so that it doesn't finish before the back of their knees. This would obviously be uncomfortable for the baby and probably not good for them, so you can tie a broad ribbon round the base of the mei tai to narrow it a bit.

ETA - I started using a mei tai at around 6 weeks when LO was just over 12lbs and she hated froggy legs from the start so I narrowed the mei tai and let her stick them out. She was much happier like that.

Thanks for that. I have read about the tying, but I am struggling a little to imagine how to do it. Is there any chance you could post a picture of the mei tai narrowed? :blush:

Here you go. I'd do one with LO in it like that but she's way too big now and it'd just look silly!

This is un-narrowed:
https://i54.tinypic.com/23jnaqv.jpg

This is narrowed (obviously you can tie it on the inside and get a matching ribbon if you want! I actually folded the bottom like a fan and sewed it temporarily in place, but no need for that):
https://i53.tinypic.com/33cb5l2.jpg

By the time you've folded the waist strap over, the bit where it's narrowed should be just about where LO's legs come out. If not, just move it up or down a bit. Hope that helps!

Pip, I did exactly what clever Rach has shown you ^^ it works really really well.

K now has his legs out cos they're long enough and he much prefers it... but it's only been in the last two weeks or so.

Yay for babywearing, hope you and S love it :hug:

Pip, I did exactly what clever Rach has shown you ^^ it works really really well.

K now has his legs out cos they're long enough and he much prefers it... but it's only been in the last two weeks or so.

Yay for babywearing, hope you and S love it :hug:

Yas, he is loving it as he is such a little cuddler and it gives me a chance to get on with things in the house.

I was able to borrow a Close baby carrier last week and currently have a BabyHawk Mei Tai and am trying to make up my mind.

He definitely prefers his legs out too. Gave Rachel's suggestion a go last night and it did work. The only thing I am not sure about the Mei Tai is the way the strap goes over and under LO's legs. Looks like it might be a bit uncomfortable for him.

The only thing I am not sure about the Mei Tai is the way the strap goes over and under LO's legs. Looks like it might be a bit uncomfortable for him.

You mean the strap that can look like it digs in a bit over the top of his legs? While he's little, I would have the strap higher up so it fastens behind his back rather than under his bum. That way it's a bit of extra security round the sides and will hold him close to you while you move around. Now my LO is older, the straps go under her bum to support the extra weight but if you make sure the strap is flat and not twisted up, it's fine :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->