How long to pump till boob is empty?

HappiestMom

Spcl Nds Girl + twn boys + girl
Reaction score
Im 2 weeks PP and just wondering how long should I pump to make sure boobs are empty? I get about 2oz out of each in 5 mins....I stop when the milk slows to a trickle..and isnt shooting out...is this long enough?

Pump for a minimum of twenty five minutes that's my personal rule and probably why I'm going in 2000 oz stored but I'm also trying to get my little one on the boob right now so I'm looking for someone who needs a donor.

In the beginning, I would pump for at least 20 minutes on both boobs. The reason is, even though you aren't squirting out milk, you could still be making milk if you pumped longer. Especially since you're so early on, I think you should be pumping longer until you've established a better milk supply. Once you've done it for a few months, you can do it for like 10 minutes and still should get the same amount!

I think since your early on i would pump 15-20 mins. I have two let downs so i pump for 17mins to make sure IM empty

thanks ladies..i thought 5-6 mins was too quick and easy but wasnt sure..

And look in exclusively pumping thread on page one so you can do a power hour every day it will help aswell I do two a day when my daughter is going through a growth spurt so I produce more for when she's done her spurt.

When I was speaking to a lactation consultant in the hospital she said to pump 5 min past seeing the last drop. I also compress myself as I am pumping to be sure to get all the good fatty hind milk while pumping as well, since the pump doesn't seem to get all of this out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->