How many baby outfits to take into hospital?

familygirl30

Reaction score
I have bought the odd new born items but mostly 0-3 as i think we will hav a big baby,anyway was thinking taking :

2 newborn vests
2 newborn baby grows
2 0-3 vests
2 0-3 baby grows
A cardigan/light jacket as summer baby
A couple of hats
A couple of scratch mits
1 towel and flannel
1 blanket

Is this enough or should I pack a couple extra baby grows and vests in each size?Am I missing anything?

I would bring extra towels, flannels and blankets. And lots of muslins! You'll use them for everything. Also, as far as clothes, I'd have everything washed and ready to go at home and if you need more of a certain size, your partner can bring them in. More than likely you won't need more. The first few days are a blur of feeding and trying to carve out 20 minutes of time to get some sleep. You won't really have time to be worrying about changes of clothes. I'm not sure we even changed our daughter's outfit for the first 3 days or so! At that age, they don't eat enough to spit up and they don't poo enough to make a mess of their clothes yet.

As for size, if it helps to give you an idea, my daughter was born 6lbs 9oz and only just started to fit in 0-3 month vests/sleepsuits at 3.5 months! when she was about 12lbs. Unless you have a huge baby, you can probably stretch those new baby outfits out a bit and make them fit for awhile.

I think you've got it covered there. As PP said if you;ve got more at home, if you're staying in then more can be brought from home. I like to have 3 sets of clothes plus a 'going home' set - have big babies but babies are coiled up when they're born so newborns are usually ok for most people (my 1st fit into them in hospital, 2nd was nearly 11lb so didn't even consider them lol).

What I do is I measure all my 0-3s and newborn clothes and put them in size order (really easy to do, just pile them all up together laid out and you'll see the longest, shortest etc etc) and I took the 'middle' of the stack with me lol. Covers all bases lol. :haha:

Id say thats a good list although ive never used scratch mits and rarely use hats.

I dont take a towel for baby though as dont bath them anyway

I have just had LO last week & took way too much with me, I actually had to have OH come in with a bag & take stuff home. What I found I needed for a 2 day stay in hospital was:

3 vests
3 onsies
Nappies
Cotton Wool
1 hat
1 muslin wrap

The hospital provided blankets for LO, so I didn't need anything other than the muslin wrap, which we swaddled him in for the ride home.

I have just had LO last week & took way too much with me, I actually had to have OH come in with a bag & take stuff home. What I found I needed for a 2 day stay in hospital was:

3 vests
3 onsies
Nappies
Cotton Wool
1 hat
1 muslin wrap

The hospital provided blankets for LO, so I didn't need anything other than the muslin wrap, which we swaddled him in for the ride home.

Congratulations!hope u r both doing well x

I've packed 4 vests, 4 babygros in mixture of newborn and 0-3, scratch mitts (though we used them for about half an hour with first baby), couple of hats (which were also barely used- but like to keep all bases covered), light jacket, bibs and muslins, blanket. xx

In my 'just in case' bag I have 3 sleepsuits, & 5 vests in way of clothes.

2 mits,
2 socks,
2 hats,
1 booties,
2 muslins &
1 blanket

I would check with your hospital to see what they provide...I am in the process of packing and they have a list online of suggestions as well as what they will have on hand for you. My hospital only recommends an outfit or two for photos and going home, they will have gowns, shirts, and blankets for baby during the stay :)

It sounds like it's different in the UK than here. I packed a bunch of clothes, and we ended up only needing one outfit (a sleeper) for him to come home in. He was just in a diaper and then wrapped in a blanket (or two) the whole time. And the hospital provided a knit hat, which we got to take home, and all the diapers during our stay.

This time around I'm only bringing the one outfit for coming home in!

Think I have 5 sleepsuits, 3 vests, pack of nappies, cotton balls for bum, 2 x scratch mits, 2 x hats ... 1 cardi, 2 x blankets ..

Need to add muslin squares tho!

I think with my first i took 4 sleepsuits (2x newborn and 2x 0-3) hubby ended up bringing more as we were in for 3 nights after an emcs plus he was only 6lb1 so the 0-3 swamped him :haha: I also took a hat (winter time) which he ended up wearing in the hospital because his temp dropped and he ended up in an incubator. I also took blankets and a few muslins.

I had enough last time and will pack the same again

3vests newborn and the size below
3 sleep suits newborn and size below
And a going home outfit in each size

Personally I wouldn't pack 0-3 as a guide they are for 10-14lb and even if baby is close to that they will still probably be too big

My lo was 7.1 and so I used tiny baby coz newborn was massive, even the tiny baby clothes were baggy.. Partner can always get more once you know

And my lo used all 3 suits due to leaky nappy and being sick so wouldn't take any less

With my youngest I brought in 5 babygrow outfits (0-3) and one going home outfit. It ended up just about being enough as we ended up having to stay in overnight as there was no paediatrician available to check the babies on a bank holiday and I had a lot of colostrum which meant he kept posetting on everything xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->