How many cloth nappies do I need? MIL rant!

henny

mum to two beautiful boys
Reaction score
When I go back to work, I will be working 2 full days and 2 part days. On the part days Lo will go to nursery, nursery wont use cloth nappies.
On the 2 full days, MIL will be looking after Lo and has said they will put him in pampers instead of cloth nappies :shrug: I have told them i will provide a wet bag for them and that cloth nappies are simple to use but they are not convinced :nope:
how many do I need for when i am not working and what can i do to convince them?
Thank you :flower:

you shouldnt need to convinence them hun. Its not like cloth nappies are hard to use :shrug:

Just tell them that is what you are using and that's that. They will see how easy it is and should respect your decision anyway, they will end up using them.

Depends how often you want to wash as to how many you need, I think 15 as a minimum if you want to wash every other day. :)

Although I think "your baby, your rules", I know it must be difficult to insist on cloth when your MIL is looking after LO. I'd probably just tell her that too long in disposables gives your LO nappy rash (whether strictly true or not)... what grandma can argue with that? To convince her, I'd make sure that the nappies you use are very simple, like AIOs or pockets that you have already stuffed, and probably velcro instead of poppers.

Id go with telling them LO has skin reactions to disposables so NEEDS to wear cloth. Id also go for ready stuffed pockets or AIOs with aplix (velcro). How many hours would your MIL be having him? If you take the rule that its one nappy every 2 hours plus two 'extra' that will be how many you will need to send with baby.
I could manage with 15-20 nappies overall but that would involve extra washing, I can go through a good ten or so nappies a day and like to wait til I have a "full" nappy wash (20 nappies) before washing else I feel like Im wasting energy/water.

My MIL will have Lo from 8.30am-4pm. Ive even said they could use flushable liners and wipes and if they are going to go out then the can use disposable nappies, so I feel I am compromising. I also wondering what size nappies as Lo is 10wks and was weighed 2wks ago at 13lbs 12, so dont really want to get ones that he is only in for a few months, I already have 9 kushes.

Id go for mediums or onesize. If you want ones that will last then go for onesize as he is big enough that they wont be terribly bulky.

Tell them it's not a choice they are being given; your child is being put in cloth and that is how you expect it to stay, as you are not just doing it to save money or the environment but also to benefit your child! Pocket nappies should be easy enough for them to fathem, surely!

I have about 13 nappies that I use at the moment (and about the same amount I need to sell!) and I could do with about 3-5 more. For the next baby I will need more as nbs poop so much.. or Sofia did anyway!

I would try the "disposables give her rash" line too. It can be hard convincing others to use cloth, my DH is very resistant!

I would say you can't go wrong with BG organics aio for ease of use and performance. Out of all the many brands I've tried they're my fave for a day-to-day nappy.

i think its quite rude that theyve said they wont use them :nope: i have had my fair amount of problems with my mil but she at least respects my decision to have leyla in cloth nappies and puts her in them when shes at her house, and even washes them for me, albeit with fabric conditioner :dohh: but you cant have everything i suppose lol, tell her you want him in cloth nappies and thats that! its not like its gna be that much different is it!!!

x

oh and ive got quite a few nappies but if youre not using every day id say you can get by with maybe 8-10, ithats enough for one day in the beginning, as he gets older you will be able to use less but for now he will need changing quite often and you dont want to run out half way through the day

x

I would take some in and show them make sure they are all made up and really easy ones either AIOs or Pockets that are made already with liners in them also (if you use them) Show them that they are just as easy as the others and that when they are wet they just shove them in the bag ?

Thank you for all your replies :thumbup:
I haven't spoken to MIL since but will try and be brave and tell her that she needs to go along with cloth nappies, I will spend the day with her showing her that they are easy.
Thankfully I'm not due to go back to work till sept :happydance:

Ahh then you've got plenty of time to subtly show her how easy cloth can be!

Which is the way Ellie would do it coz she's well 'ard

I haven't spoken to MIL since but will try and be brave and tell her that she needs to go along with cloth nappies, I will spend the day with her showing her that they are easy.

If being nice doesn't work, you could always be mean... just sigh and say sweetly "Ok if you don't feel you can look after him, I'll start looking at other options then", as if she's saying she won't look after LO. After all, he's your baby and if you say he wears cloth nappies, he does. By saying she won't use cloth, she's kind of saying she won't look after him, in my twisted logic :rofl: Bet once she thinks you'll get somebody else, grandma will be all over the cloth!!!

Which is the way Ellie would do it coz she's well 'ard

haha my mil hates me sooo much cos i just wont take no shit at all, i prob should but i just cant :blush: if someone pisses me off i cant keep my mouth shut lol

x

If being nice doesn't work, you could always be mean... just sigh and say sweetly "Ok if you don't feel you can look after him, I'll start looking at other options then", as if she's saying she won't look after LO. After all, he's your baby and if you say he wears cloth nappies, he does. By saying she won't use cloth, she's kind of saying she won't look after him, in my twisted logic :rofl: Bet once she thinks you'll get somebody else, grandma will be all over the cloth!!!

haha emotional blackmail, i likey :rofl:

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"