How many times per day do you pump-SAHM that EBF

themaybaby

Reaction score
I looked this up, but could only find answers from women that EP. I stay at home and feed him from my breast about 8-10 times per day. But I can only get 2 pumping sessions in between that time. I know it's vital to be able to pump to establish a good milk supply, but I have trouble pumping more than twice per day. How many times do you pump per day? Also, my son will be 2 weeks old on Thursday. Thanks!

You don't have to pump to get a good supply. The baby will naturally build it for you with growth spurts and constant sucking..Leo was on the boob all the time at that age and I only pumped so someone else could feed him will I ate or showered.

Now I pump a bottle (5 oz) every 2 days for a back up supply. I could pump more but I hate pumping and don't want to create an oversupply

You don't have to pump to get a good supply. The baby will naturally build it for you with growth spurts and constant sucking..Leo was on the boob all the time at that age and I only pumped so someone else could feed him will I ate or showered.

Now I pump a bottle (5 oz) every 2 days for a back up supply. I could pump more but I hate pumping and don't want to create an oversupply

Oh, wow.. I didn't know that! Very helpful, thanks.

It isn't necessary to pump to get a good supply. Your baby will create the perfect amount, if you pump more, you risk oversupply. That was a harder thing for me to accept, I had a preemie in the NICU so I had to pump for the first two weeks. I had to trust that my baby and my body would work together to produce the right amount of milk to meet his needs. It is hard to grasp when it's your first and you can't see how much milk is being made, but trust me, there is no reason you need to pump unless your baby isn't nursing enough or can't effectively nurse enough (which it sounds like you don't have a problem with!).

I think theres a lot of misinformation re pumping. My health visitor constantly tells me to pump. In the last 7 weeks I've pumped twice, both times just to have enough for a bottle so I could attend physio without my lo going hungry for an hour (she just loves to time her feeds around my dr and physio appts!). My supply is great, I still leak more than I need! :thumbup: no need to worry

I also despise pumping!

Well that's a relief, because I thought I was surely going to dip in my supply. Thanks so much for all the good info! Another question for you ladies so that I don't have to post an entirely new thread, lol. My son is two weeks old now. In his first week he'd go poopy every time I'd feed him.. Now he only goes like once per day. Is this normal, or should it concern me?

It is normal for an EBF baby to poop anywhere from 7x per day to once every 7 days (or so I've heard). When babies are first born, they have a reflex to poop when they eat. I think it goes away pretty quickly and they start pooping when they need to poop. I don't know when it changes though.

I read that reflex thing somewhere, but I can't seem to find it. But anyway, perfectly normal! And don't be surprised if LO starts grunting and looking pained or even crying when they poop/fart soon. It's a weird sensation and it's like they don't notice it at first, but when they do it can be quite distressing. It can be a symptom of something bad, like constipation, but it can happen to perfectly healthy babies too.

Thanks! You guys are awesome. I'd be going crazy without this guidance :)

I only pump a few times a week so that I have some back up milk in the freezer for when I go out without the baby. Pumping is not required to establish supply. Babies are amazing little suckers on their own :thumbup:

I hate pumping and never do it. As for the poo - you'd normally expect 4 poos a day until about 4-6 weeks, but as long as the single poo you're getting is big and yellow, then I wouldn't worry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->