• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How much do you think you need to earn to live comfortably b

we probably have around £26'000 a year ish i guess and im a stay at home mom and we are doing fine, we rent privately in a very nice area and all our bills are paid and we have food and extra money for treats and sometimes days out

Were on £60kpa joint. and we live comfortably. we do have a higher cost of living as were in london and can spend nearly £5k a year on train fair alone.

If we didnt have debts we would have pleantly of spare cash and could prob survive just on OH wage.- 12 more payments to go!!

DH and I combined make $65,218/£43,173 gross (pre-tax) a year but about $4,000/£2,647 a month after taxes and insurance. Our monthly bills are $2,399/£1,588 which leaves us about $1,601/£1,059 after everything. It's a pretty fair amount but I'd like at least another thousand a month just to feel a little more "secure". Our goal is to make $50/£33 an hour each to pull in $17,333/£11,474 a month. That won't be for a while though. ;)

We earn 33k between us, if that was take home then we'd be ok. I'd say 40k to be comfortable. A 3 bed house here cost at least £900 a month to rent in a not very nice area, so cost of living is pretty high.
If we didn't have debt then we'd be much better off. Damn being young and stupid!

I live pretty comfortably on just under 17k euros a year but thats probably because I'm used to it. If I had a bigger income I'd probably say that was what I needed to live comfortably.

Cost of living is high here too! £800 for a 2 bed flat before bills and that isn't even a nice area.

I would say 70K to live comfortably and do what we enjoy.

We live comfortably on 26k (I'm a SAHM) but have very small living costs. Once I graduate our income will double and hopefully living will stay the same, then we'll be very comfortable x

We earn around £90k per annum between us and tbh I can't see how people can be comfortable on less than £60k, after tax, mortgage and bills.

Then again I do spend a lot and our grocery shop itself for a family of 3 is over £100 per week :(

I'm just so rubbish at being able to get it lower :(

I say about $60,000. We could put back money for a house and pay those pesky student loans ($150k). We could contribute more to savings for our son and our retirement.

No matter what we earn, another 5k would always come in handy.

We earn around £90k per annum between us and tbh I can't see how people can be comfortable on less than £60k, after tax, mortgage and bills.

Honestly!? We have 50k in one of the most expensive counties in the country and get to buy treats, even sometimes expensive ones. We have holidays, we eat out, buy new clothes, and all this is with saving 1000+ a month for a house deposit. Mortgage repayments will only be 100 more than rent for us.

Even if we had 3 children I can't imagine ever needing 90k! What are you buying!? :haha:

I think it really depends on a lot of external factors, too many to make a general figure, there is location, not just north or south but also village, town or city. Then there is mortgage, you could have 2 people living next door to each other in identical houses, but 1 purchased theirs 10 years ago for £100,000 and the other purchased theirs last year for £175,000, therefore their mortgage payments would be drastically different

Honestly!? We have 50k in one of the most expensive counties in the country and get to buy treats, even sometimes expensive ones. We have holidays, we eat out, buy new clothes, and all this is with saving 1000+ a month for a house deposit. Mortgage repayments will only be 100 more than rent for us.

Even if we had 3 children I can't imagine ever needing 90k! What are you buying!? :haha:

I know, i see so many people living off less and doing it really well. I mean we could still live comfortably on £50k at a push i think, i guess we live to our means and unless i was restricted to that i'd never know, but i'm pretty sure we could.

We have 2 holidays a year, we do have good savings but not loads, probably about 15k. We do have pensions, private medical, 2 cars, £250k mortgage and bills etc. I buy a LOT of bits and pieces, just random things really :( This month it's been an in-car DVD player, £300 worth of clothes for Freya (she's had a growth spurt and gone up a size so this isn't normal spend), now i'm looking at 2 new hoovers totalling £600. It's definitely stuff that we could live without if needs be. I'm definitely a shopaholic though. Luckily i don't touch the joint account which is where DH's money goes and he's the main earner, i only work 2 days, i do totally wipe out my own account every month though, mainly things for Freya or the house. :(

I know, i see so many people living off less and doing it really well. I mean we could still live comfortably on £50k at a push i think, i guess we live to our means and unless i was restricted to that i'd never know, but i'm pretty sure we could.

We have 2 holidays a year, we do have good savings but not loads, probably about 15k. We do have pensions, private medical, 2 cars, £250k mortgage and bills etc. I buy a LOT of bits and pieces, just random things really :( This month it's been an in-car DVD player, £300 worth of clothes for Freya (she's had a growth spurt and gone up a size so this isn't normal spend), now i'm looking at 2 new hoovers totalling £600. It's definitely stuff that we could live without if needs be. I'm definitely a shopaholic though. Luckily i don't touch the joint account which is where DH's money goes and he's the main earner, i only work 2 days, i do totally wipe out my own account every month though, mainly things for Freya or the house. :(

To live comfortably. I'd say about £50k, but it dependw what you mean by comfortably. No matter what you have you'll live within your means.

To me living comfortably is 2 holidays a year, money to do what I want, whem I want, to be able to splash out if I want.

But I lived without excess as a single mum for a bit too. And I would say I lived comfortably then too. The more you have the more you want.

To live comfortably. I'd say about £50k, but it dependw what you mean by comfortably. No matter what you have you'll live within your means.

To me living comfortably is 2 holidays a year, money to do what I want, whem I want, to be able to splash out if I want.

But I lived without excess as a single mum for a bit too. And I would say I lived comfortably then too. The more you have the more you want.

Yes i think to have money to be able to splash out without worry and to be able to afford to do what you want is my idea of comfortable. Although i'm sure i too could do that on £50k if i tried.

we lived on £20k for over a year... we were happy on that. Double that is lovely. And when OH gets another pay rise more than that will be lovely. But we have lots of spare cash as we still budget as if we were skint.

I am astonished at some of these answers!

As a family of four, we live comfortably on about £18k. Eventually we'd like to have an income of about £30k which would seem pretty luxurious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->