• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How much does a homebirth cost?

Vrinda

Reaction score
We recently moved to UK and I am interested in home birth for my second one.

I have no idea about the costs and expenses involved, how much do you pay midwife etc. I am registered with NHS...Those who had homebirth how did you do it ?

We recently moved and have no friends and all family abroad so don't know how will I manage a toddler and labor, it's just me and my hubby, so in general, I find idea of homebirth welcoming and considering this as option.

Most medical expenses to do with birth and pregnancy are free in the UK, you won't have to pay for your midwife and she will provide medication etc if needed, you'll just need to sort out some things like plastic sheeting and if you want to get/hire a birth pool.

My eldest was upstairs in bed while I gave birth at home.

Giving birth is free on the NHS, no matter where you do it (hospital, birthing centre or at home). I'm originally from the U.S. and this was amazing to me at first as well because I'm so used to just going into debt to get any sort of decent medical care. The only expenses would be any additional supplies you wanted to buy. If you want a water birth and don't already have a pool to use (some ladies use large kiddie pools or their inflatable hot tubs, not turned on of course, or a large soaking tub), but most will have to source a pool. There are companies that hire them, which are a bit more expensive, but I got mine from my local home birth group for 40 quid for a 4 week hire including a sterile liner and all accessories. Check and see if you have one in your area. You might also want to get some things to cover the floor or bed. Most of us use cheap shower curtains or a painting tarp or just lots of bed mats. A few other things like a bucket, some towels and blankets, large bin liners to put anything in that you plan to throw away after. And then snacks and drinks for yourself, partner, some tea and biscuits to offer the midwives. But your care overall is free, so it's really just these little things you might want to buy, nothing major. As for how to arrange it, I just told the midwives at my first appointment that I was planning a home birth, though you can make that decision at any point, including when you're in labour and they'll send midwives out to you. Then at 37 weeks, we had a chat about my birth plan and then gave me a box of supplies to take home (free, it belongs to the NHS and they take it with them again after the birth). That was it. Then just called when I was in labour. I had a home birth with my first and definitely hope to do it again next time, especially as like you, we don't have family especially close by (mine are in the U.S. and my husband's are 1.5 hours away), so I'd rather have my daughter at home with us too.

Thank you so much for your replies.

MarineWAG, our toddler sleeps through the night most times so I think there is a chance the labor can go while the elder is in bed otherwise I know she will be very curious what's going on :)

I am seriously considering home birth, also as my first one was natural birth in hospital.

MindUtopia,that's interesting how things are in US, am glad that here there is an option even to give birth at home ( many countries even discourage this )

Thanks for all the tips for preparation, I am all new to home birth so I will keep exploring more about it on this forum.

I hope it's not that messy as I imagine ( placenta, blood etc)

Water birth sounds good but I remember last time I could not even stand hot/warm water or anything touching my belly, so I am not sure about hiring a pool.

How many midwives attend the homebirth? I will see what are the options in our area. Hospital is about an hour drive, so will have to consider what to do in case of emergency.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->