How much does your car cost to run per month??

Cat - have you thought about leasing a car? My friend has just done this - she flew into a complete rage at how much money she had lost when she sold her old car, so is now leasing. Takes care of tax and MOT…I think all you have to pay for is insurance and running costs. If anything goes wrong, she just phones the garage and they deal with it / pay.

To be honest, she’s finding the whole thing fab! Am not sure how much she pays a month for the car. No gut-wrenching depreciation to angst over, though!

I’m not sure how much ours costs to run, I leave all that to DH! :blush:

I’d recommend, if buying, that you look at fuel consumption – as this is what can turn a car into a money guzzling nightmare. Also look at something that is a decent enough size for you and your family to ‘grow’ into. Maybe a Polo or a Golf?
Your friend was annoyed at how much her car depreciated in value so instead she basically rents a car now? and will have nothing at the end of it? :wacko: Each to their own, but personally I would never get a car on lease. I'd even be hesitant to get a company car (unless it included a fuel card of course :haha:)

Yes, but I guess she’s getting a brand new car - with none of the headache when things go wrong / MOT / tax! I was surprised how much she lost on her car…and it was her pride and joy!

Each to their own, like you say, we own ours – but I do think leasing has a place, and car work really well. Especially as she hands it back in a couple of years and gets another nice new one :D

ps - this comes from the woman who kicked the car when the exhaust went strange recently :rofl:

Our car loands are paid off, so we just have insurance and gas. Gas is about $500 a month and insurace is about $140 for both our vehicles.

We have a 1.6 petrol 07 Plate Renault Scenic 5 door.

-Finance for the actual car - £220 a month to my dad as he financed it and we bought it 2nd hand for 1k under the list price as it is an ex mobility car.

-Insurance - £100 (I am a new driver again with 6 points)

-MOT - I am allowing £100 a year as this will be its second MOT and I dont trust newer cars - and also it has been towing a caravan with previous owner so more clutch and gearbox wear.

-Tax - £18.33 a month - as its £220 a year :(

-Petrol - £30-£40 a week. so say £160 a month :(. I have to do a 25 mile round trip 3 times a week for nursery, and then about 3 miles on the days I have the horse.

I would never buy a brand new car as I do not feel that it is worth it - and they are not without fault - People I know with new cars have NEVER had a smooth run of things and always had things like brakes/gear box/electrics gone wrong.

My car costs

£250 a month on finance

£65 a month insurance - fully comp

£45 a year for the MOT

£60 a week to run it - i think i put between £240-300 a month in depends what promo work i have come in & where i have to go. £60 a week gives me enough to do the school run & potter around

Tax £68 for 6 months or £120 a year

On top of that you need to think about servicing costs, tyres

I have a 1.2 petrol 06 Plate Ford Fiesta 3 Door

-Finance for the actual car - £120 a month .

-Insurance - £122 Fully comp

-MOT - About £35 - £40 a year and then any work it needs doing so price can vary

-Tax - I think its about £56 for every 6 months im not 100% sure on that one

-Petrol - I tend to fill it up when i get paid so its full say about £40 and then that usually lasts about 2 weeks and then i just put about £20 in and it lasts me

1998 vectra 2.5 V6

Paid for in full
Tax £400 per annum
MOT £40 if it passes first time (last time it sailed through)
Insurance £35 per month

The fuel bill on average £100 per month as I only use it on the odd evening and at weekends as I drive a van during the day

Not the cheapest thing to own and drive but its my hobby as well as the family car, I was going to change it for a deisel estate but with the costof deisel now rocketing I will be better off with the petrol, I COULD go for another saloon with a smaller engine but it seems the smaller engined Vectras arejust as thirsty as my V6 which makes the V6 more viable as it has better pulling / overtaking power and is an absolute dram to drive on the motorway where its fuel economy really does come into itself.

Urban Driving im down to 23 mpg but on the motorway I can see upto 40mpg, not bad for a 13 year old motor.

Oh my days my car costs me a fortune but I love it to bits and we live in the sticks so no other choice.

Finance is fully paid up soo..
£50 a week on fuel (this is only to work and back and a few small journeys at the weekend)
£1000 a year on insurance
Then whatever it needs tyres / repairs. I nearly passed out when I'd to get new brake pads!!

But it's all worth it I loove my car. x

Your insurance will be hugely different depending on how long you've been passed your test, how old you are, the size of the engine in the car and also the age of the car. I found that trying to get a car from 2000 or younger my insurance almost doubled :flower: I am 22 and have a 1.2 clio and have been passed my test 3 years ... hubby is also a named drive on my account

-Finance for the actual car - None both our cars were bought outright

-Insurance - I pay £51 per month

-MOT - £40-£50 if nothing needs doing but generally costs around £100-£200 with stuff needing doing

-Tax - £67 every 6 months

-Petrol - I use £15-£20 a week that gets me to college and back twice as well as a few run around trips into town/nursery round about 160 miles or so

Is this it?? Are there anymore?? - Don't forget if anything goes wrong with the car they also need fixing ... for example just before Xmas I need my whole drive shaft fixing - £130 ... hubby's car needs his power steering pipe replacing - £80-£100 xx

Thanks everyone :flower:

Hope that helps a bit hun :flower: xx

Hey I hope I can help as I just bought my 1st car last week:happydance:

My wee baby:haha: is a 52 plate corsa!

-Finance for the actual car Im £74 and total cost was £2,450

-Insurance Im £82 monthly as Im a new driver and Im under 25!

-MOT this was done on the car when I got it so not had this cost as yet

-Tax I should £80 for six months but got 6months free with the car (a set of £50 car mats & half tank fuel too! ask them what there throwing in if u go to a dealers!!)

-Petrol Im £40 to fill my tank

dont have a car I have a bike. Hyosung GTR

-Finance for the actual car £0 paid for outright

-Insurance £60 a year

-MOT exempt for 4 years up next year

-Tax £15 a year

-Petrol like a tenner a month depends where I go

I have a Fiesta Zetec S, 1.6. cost me 3.5k 4 years ago, bought cash

Insurance - I pay £93 a month as i have got 3 points on my license... but i did only have to pay £60-odd before

Petrol - i put in about £20 a week, and thats 4.5 miles to work, 4.5 miles back, 4 days a week, over my mums to drop baby off and pick him up on weekend... so thats 9 miles there and back twice, so... £20 gives me about 100 miles, with the price on petrol now..

Tax - when you asked if its paid yearly, you can choose, to pay either every 6 months of every year... mine is £99 for 6 months or £180 for a year.. its not based on how new etc your car is, its all about emissions that your car gives out, and what engine is in the car... the lower engine car the cheaper tax you pay...

MOT - MOT's themself only cost about £40 - £50 depending on what type of garage... but if the car is relativley new then you prob wont need much done... i needed odds done to mine last year, cost me about £100, but its not guaranteed to need stuff doing every year

same goes for servicing.. oil changes etc.. and tyres... i bought 4 new tyres a few days before xmas and spent £126 for 4

hope this helps chick...
any questions, feel free to pm me
:)
x

Sarahjayne you got penalised by your insurance for 3 points? Thats harsh, most inurance companies dont charge extra for the first 3, normaly it only goes up if you go over the 3.

Depends what the three points are for :thumbup:
For example, if you have 6 points for speeding your insurance premium will go up a bit, but if you have 6 points for driving without insurance your premium will go through the roof

Citroen Picasso 2004 1.6 Desire

-Finance £0 brought the car outright

-Insurance is £69 every month which isn't too bad considering me and my partner are only 22.

-MOT and Service - Cost between £100 and £200

-Tax is £220 annually

-Petrol is anywhere between £100 to £150 a month. Just hoping the price doesn't go up any more:wacko:

My god....its so expensive to run a car :( Now I know why I'm 28 and never bothered with it. Think I will stick to the bus!!

Thanks for all your help though girls! You have helped me loads as I really had no idea.....lol :)

I think the insurance may be over 80 for you as you will be first time driver.xx

My god....its so expensive to run a car :( Now I know why I'm 28 and never bothered with it. Think I will stick to the bus!!

Thanks for all your help though girls! You have helped me loads as I really had no idea.....lol :)

And I was thinking of getting a car but then my insurance still dosnt come up to what these girls have even for a car like a Mercedes which I got a quote on before :wacko: This is why I have a bike £60 a year insurance easy.But very unpraticle with kids. Only for me time. Which I dont get any more. My other halfs insurance on a bike is twice as much as mine as he is male obviously he is going for car test, I doubt we will be able to get anywhere after that.

This is my baby - Ford KA

https://i56.tinypic.com/16l9vzm.jpg

-Finance for the actual car - Paid £2,100 outright 3 years ago.

-Insurance - £120 a month - I have been driving 2.5 years and had 1 crash.

-MOT - £60

-Tax - £150 a year

-Petrol - £60 a month

Is this it?? Are there anymore?? - I get her serviced with her MOT which is £50

i have a very rare powerful car lol but unfortunately its up for sale as ive just lost my job, in alot of debt and even though the car doesnt cost much to run, theres a potention £4k sitting in it which i need to pay stuff off :(

Anyway mine costs

No fiance as i bought it outright

Tax - £112 (roughly) for 6 months, or Just under £200 for a year

Insurance - £36 a month (used to be £32, but insurance seems to be going up instead of down grrr)

Petrol - erm between £20 and £50 a month. Car only takes the higher ron stuff, which does make petrol more expensive but it doesnt go anywhere anymore so doesnt cost much

MOT - Just paid £52 and it failed lol, nothing major though, needs new brake pads and ball joint. Servicable parts that go on any car.

Only thing is, is that as my car is so rare, if it needs parts other than oil filters, pads/discs, etc then i've got to go to mazda, but i knew that before buying it. I'm going to miss my car :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->