how much food should my 7 month old be having?

porkypig

Reaction score
its really difficult to know how much they should be having, for example, i know he shouldbe having 3 meals a day and 2 desserts, but if i give him jar food, lets say, one of the HIPP organic jars for 7 months plus, should he have the WHOLE jar plus a WHOLE jar of the dessert???? Is that too much???xx :shrug:

Hi Porkpig, MY DS has had some difficulties in weaning but we finally got him settled. at 7 months he would eat:

Weetabix/shredded wheat for breakfast

stage 2 Jar for lunch

stage 3 Jar for dinner followed by a yoghurt.

and because although he was eating all that he only put on 1 lb in 10 weeks we gave him a few Oranix crisps or some dried fruit ect for a snack in the afternoon.

This was on top of 3/4 6oz bottles of follow on milk.

Hope this helps xx

Great question, Im rather confused by it all myself...I make my own purees and my hv said to give lo finger foods such as bread for lunch - so i did this INSTEAD of puree and most went to the floor, so what started happening is he woke more frequently in the night to feed and I only figured this out cos I resorted back to puree THEN finger foods for 'practise eating' and last night he slept better than he ever did his whole life!

So today i gave -
breakfast - baby cereal about 5 spoons
lunchtime - 3 ice-cube sized fruit puree & 3 fingers of bread
snack - a little yogurt 9about 2 oz worth?
dinner - 3 or 4 ice cube size portions pureed bolognaise..

Not sure if this helps xx

When Ruby had just turned 7 months she was eating pretty much nothing!! Just go by what your baby seems to want, their appetites are unique. It's also not true that they *should* have 2 desserts per day...

my lo had started to go through the night when i started giving him solids and now hes gone back to square one? hes waking once a night again fir milk so i dont think hes having enough during the day. i just dont know :( xx

ruby is 7 months, and although its hard to compare as we BLW, this is what she has on an average day...
8oz bottle at 8am,
breakfast at 9. / 9.30 toast with mashed banana and a mini yoghurt 1 slice of apple & 1 slice of pear
7oz bottle at 11am
12.30 lunch - today it was scrambled egg with a crumpet, celery stick with cream cheese, and a little stars fruit juice jelly (she adores these!)
7oz bottle @3pm
dinner at 5.30... tonight will be lasagne & peas and carrots, followed by a few organix crisps or a breadstick etc
bottle at 7.30 then bed

i try to just go by her... if shes still hungry ill offer more.. like us, they hve hungry days, and not so hungry days, so as long as they are happy & healthy & gaining weight ok, then all is good!
re desserts.... ruby has never had a pudding as such, she gets fruit, or yoghurt, or thse little jellys, or even the little fruit pots as a dessert if shes still hungry, but im trying not to encourage the 'need' for something sweet after a meal x

there is no way my little girl could manage to eat a whole 7+ month jar, she would maybe eat approx half (although i do make her my own food)
if she has "desert" i will only offer her fruit or yoghurt, i dont think she needs anything else yet x

I make my own food for Emma but tonight because she's not been too well the past few days, I tried her with a jar because I kept defrosting food for her which she wouldn't eat so it was a waste. Anyhow, she ate 1/2 the 7month plus jar, and in her bowl that looked similar to the amount she has normally. So I'd say she has 1/2 7mnth+ jar for her lunch and dinner, with either toast or a cheese sandwich first (she eats hardly any though) followed by some fruit (eg a few peices of melon, grapes) or ocassionally fruit purree or baby biscuit. Breakfast is porridge/fruit & again probably 1/2 jars worth if it was jarred. Hope this helps x

my lo is not sitting up yet and i was told to not give him finger food until he does, like pieces of fruit etc, is that right? xx

Connah is almost 7 months and he has..

breakfast: Porridge or toast with fruit spread (usually 1 slice of toast)

Lunch: Veg finger foods or cheese on toast or sandwich and some fruit for after

Dinner: equivelent to a whole jar of stage 2 plus a yoghurt for after

He will sometimes have a snack in the afternoon,thats usually a piece of fruit or rice cake
x

my lo is not sitting up yet and i was told to not give him finger food until he does, like pieces of fruit etc, is that right? xx

Presumably he sits well with only a little support, i.e in his highchair? if so then it's fine to give finger foods.

just bought him a high chair, so we shall see!!! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->