How much is routine fertility testing for women?

whimesy3

Reaction score
Hello,

I am 28 years old and have been trying off and on for I guess about a year & 1/2 - 2 years to try and have a baby.

Since I am getting older, I am starting to get afraid that this will never happen. I want to go see if there is a problem with my reproductive system. I have been told by a doctor in the past that I may have endometriosis, but no doctor ever really confirmed that. The reason they thought this is because I would have pain in my ovaries before my period. They ruled out PCOS and said it may be endometriosis.

Is it true that laparoscopic surgery is the only way to diagnos Endometriosis? I had an ultra sound about 5 years ago when they first thought I may have endo to see if they could see anything.

What would be the routine fertility tests? Blood work, check for blocked tubes? What do they check for?

How much would this cost? I have been looking for information on pricing and I find nothing online. My insurance likely will not cover this, so I am preparing myself to pay for it out of pocket

Anything else you may like to add will be considered helpful by me.

Thank you so much.

To answer your question regarding the laproscopy, yes, it's the only way to diagnose endo. My doctor just confirmed that, which I already knew from previous lap's today. I'm probably about to have my second. I honestly don't recall what it cost last time, but if you suspect endo, your insurance should cover the lap.

In terms of the other stuff, insurance will probably cover some of it. My insurance covered my blood work, but would not cover an HSG to check for blocked tubes or a post coital test. I haven't had the post-coital, but my dr is doing the HSG with the lap, so we'll see what the insurance pays when they bill it.

I'm sorry I can't tell you the actual cost, but your best bet would be to check with your doctors office. If you have insurance, they will probably bill you the contracted rate, even if your insurance doesn't cover it, so there will be a discount.

Does anyone have an idea? I know lots of women have had this done.. anyone have anything to add?

most insurance companies cover testing to diagnose infertility. I am not the person to ask because i have tricare prime (military insurance) and they cover 100% on all forms of testing. sorry. maybe ask in LTTTC? there are alot more women there who have had alot of the testing costs come out of pocket. Goodluck!

Thank you Mrs. Mabrey. What is LTTTC section? I will ask over there as I asked this question quite awhile ago and nobody really had anything to add...

My insurance doesn't cover any fertility or pregnancy. I pay $70 to have my progesterone levels checked, and around that for each blood test. I believe a HSG is around $1200. I dont know about the other.

My insurance doesn't cover any fertility or pregnancy. I pay $70 to have my progesterone levels checked, and around that for each blood test. I believe a HSG is around $1200. I dont know about the other.

Thank you! After so long, I am happy you and the 2 other women before replied!

What is and HSG though?

Hsg is the test they do to check for blocked tubes. They run dye through your tubes and it can sometimes push out blockages.

Hsg is the test they do to check for blocked tubes. They run dye through your tubes and it can sometimes push out blockages.

Ahhh I see. I would pay for that. I am sure my insurance will NOT cover that, as that is CLEARLY for fertility..

Also the first thing my dr did was the progesterone bloodwork 7 days after ovulation. It was too low so he prescribed clomid. I pay $24 for clomid. He also tested my thyroid the same day. I paid $140 for both tests. I'm on my 2nd cycle of clomid now and I had my progesterone tested again today and im praying for good results. It's scary to have to pay out of pocket.

Yes it is clearly for fertility, my dr would get around it if he could but he said they don't do that test for any other reason.

Just progesterone, it confirms ovulation.

I realize this post is 5 years old, but thought i'd add for anyone stumbling upon it in 2016 like I have... At my first fertility appointment, my NP gave me a list of all the procedure, costs, and billing codes that I would be getting done so that i could contact my insurance to find out if they would cover them based on billing code. It also gave me an up front look at what i'd be paying out of pocket if insurance wouldn't cover. I would say, expect to spend at LEAST $3,000-6,000 for one artificial insemination procedure if you are experiencing any difficulty with fertility and are unsure of you insurance coverage. I have had to have SO many ultrasounds just to measure where my follicles are at, like up to three a week, and those each cost anywhere from $250-300, it adds up quickly!!!! For me, buying donor sperm adds on a HUGE additional cost, so if you're not doing that, you'll save a ton of money. There are so many steps to this process it's a bit ridiculous, lots of blood tests, lots of ultrasounds, lots of prescriptions. Just hoping it will all be worth it to get a BFP and happy baby!

My iui's were $1200 without insurance coverage

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"