How much maternity leave will you get/take?

LostandFound

Reaction score
Just wondering what other ladies' plans are for maternity leave? Also if you've had kids before, how much leave did you take and would you do it the same or differently?

I'm fortunate to live in Canada, so I will take my full legislated 52 weeks. I did with my son and it was awesome. If I could, I'd take two years - but they don't have to hold your job for more than a year, so one year it is.

Also in Canada here :) I will take the full year I'm allowed. Its my first... sometimes I think I won't make the full year, I love my job BUT pretty sure I'll love my baby more

I'm not sure how long I will take. I'm currently a supply teacher but I am working in just one school and the job is being made permanent, the application opens on Friday and I'm in with a good chance of getting it. It depends if they calculate my start date as the date I started doing the job or the date I was made permanent! If I'm not made permanent then probably up to Easter next year (5 months) with my oh staying at home after that, or if I get the full allowance then if probably take from October to the next January, so 15 months.

Wow you Canadians are lucky! Do you get to keep your job status with that long of leave?

I qualify only for 6 weeks and MAYBE up to 8 but that's only if it's manager approved.. plus it's unpaid. .. very worrisome :(

I took 12 weeks with each of my boys, but with both I worked from home 10 hours a week from 6-12 weeks to have a little income. The US sucks big time for maternity leave. I quit my job so that I could be with my kids because of it.

MnGmakes3 - don't you qualify for disability or fmla?

1 year as I am in Canada, plus I will probably be on government disability for the last 16 weeks of pregnancy. After that we will have to balance the childcare cost for twins against jobs I can get- I am currently unemployed and so I have no job to go back to.

Yes in Canada if we are on maternity leave the work has to hold our positions, or offer us one of equal pay when we return.

52 weeks for me as well since I'm in Canada. I. Cannot. Wait. :happydance:

Wow you guys are so lucky! I get 5 weeks at "60% pay" which maxes at $1500/week. I make more than that so its like 40% pay for me. Sounds like a lot but after taxes and paying $2600 a month to student loans, it doesn't get me too far. So I can take up to 12 weeks but everything else would be unpaid. I'll prolly take 8 or 10 weeks. I want to move to Canada! Lol.

6 weeks for vaginal birth, 8 weeks for c-section. I am fortunate, my maternity leave is 100% base pay, although the first week I have to use PTO. At first I thought that was a crappy deal, and then my doctor told me that is better than most of her patients.
My husband has a pretty sweet deal: 4 weeks paternity leave at his full pay.
Afterwards, I will only be working 20 hours/week. Semi-stay at home mom.

We definitely don't get 100% in Canada, I think it's 60% up to a cap which is fairly low.

With my first I took a full year 9 months of that is paid. This time round I'm not returning as it won't work with two little ones. I shall be a stay at home mum for a while until they start school.

With my 1st I took 9 months, 6 months with my 2nd. I'll probably take 6ish months again this time because then we'll be getting into my busy time at work and I don't like leaving it to other people as it will make it more stressful when go back. My DH might take a month after that.

Here in the UK I can take a year but I don't think I will take that long probably between 6 and 9 months but I guess I will see how it goes being a first time mum xx

I'm taking at least 8 weeks. We may be making a move/job transitioning after that point... Lots of changes!

Ill be taking a year again this time. I couldnt wait to get back to work last time but regretted wishng for it the day I went back. Shall be enjoying every second of this leave! Xxx

MnGmakes3 - don't you qualify for disability or fmla?

I work per diem and luckily do qualify for FMLA so long as I work x hours within a year. So 6 weeks is the max. Disability would only give me 6 weeks as well but I'd lose my job.

I'm currently on a sabbatical from work. I'm due to return next January. I would still have some maternity leave Ieft at that point so that will push the date out further a few months.
I'm in Ireland where mother is entitied to 6 months full pay leave and another 16 weeks unpaid leave directly after if you so wish.
On my first 3 kids I took full paid and unpaid leave and added my vacation days to the end which ended bringing me to around the year mark. The company pro-rated my salary so that my pay was spread out evenly so I would get less each month but at least get something each month! ( Actually an American multinational!)
It's not too bad here, but my husband is Swedish and there the couple get 480 days leave between them ( not fully paid but with some entitlements ) There are also financial bonuses for the father taking his share. I think each partner must take at least 60 days each. I really should've gotten a job over there before I got pregnant!
I can't get over just how poor maternity leave is over in the U.S. A few of my friends have moved there and have mentioned that employers in general are very cut-throat. I'd be so stressed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->