How much milk...

MishC

Has a little princess!!
Reaction score
Should my daughter be having?

I am in the process of stopping BF and starting to FF. My daughter is 5 month 2 weeks old and i have no idea how much fomular milk she should be taking per feed. At the same time as switching her from BF to FF i have also started to wean her.

On an GOOD day she will only take 12oz of milk tops and she'll she 1/2 jar of food. Most days i only usually get about 8oz of milk into her.

Because she seems to take so little milk i end up topping her up myself (bf) on a night (after 7pm) so i know she's full up with milk (and for my own peace of mind) but i'd like to stop doing this asap.

I have posted this in the fomular feeding section as well.

Should my daughter be having?

I am in the process of stopping BF and starting to FF. My daughter is 5 month 2 weeks old and i have no idea how much fomular milk she should be taking per feed. At the same time as switching her from BF to FF i have also started to wean her.

On an GOOD day she will only take 12oz of milk tops and she'll she 1/2 jar of food. Most days i only usually get about 8oz of milk into her.

Because she seems to take so little milk i end up topping her up myself (bf) on a night (after 7pm) so i know she's full up with milk (and for my own peace of mind) but i'd like to stop doing this asap.

I have posted this in the fomular feeding section as well.

Between 4 and 6 months a baby should really be getting at least 18-21oz of milk per day.

Is she drinking anything else during the day?

Nope she won't have anything. Now if i offered to BF her she'd take that but i won't offer because i'm trying to stop. I'll only BF at night to top her up.

In my Annabel Karmel weaning book it says that between 4-6 months they should be having between 21-28oz a day, and between 6month-1 year they should have 18-28oz a day as well as solids. Could you try expressing into bottle to get her to take more feeds from a bottle and then gradually wean her onto formula like that?

If you are giving solids do you add some formula or expressed milk to her food? That would be another way of getting more into her xx

In my Annabel Karmel weaning book it says that between 4-6 months they should be having between 21-28oz a day, and between 6month-1 year they should have 18-28oz a day as well as solids. Could you try expressing into bottle to get her to take more feeds from a bottle and then gradually wean her onto formula like that?

If you are giving solids do you add some formula or expressed milk to her food? That would be another way of getting more into her xx

I quoted form AK book too - the 18-21 is for a baby on solids already...which to be fair I wouldn't actually class half a jar as 'on solids' yet ...so I quoted the wrong figure, I would class her as not on solids so it should be over the 21oz as Anna said above.

She had 6oz of milk today and 2 quaters of a jar and that was it until 9pm. I have just BF her to get some more into her and now she's asleep. She's a funny little girl she just doesn't seem to be interested in food/milk.

She had 6oz of milk today and 2 quaters of a jar and that was it until 9pm. I have just BF her to get some more into her and now she's asleep. She's a funny little girl she just doesn't seem to be interested in food/milk.

they are funny bundles are babies! so long as she is gaining a healthy amount of weight then there cant be much if anything wrong!

As Annaspanna says - will she take EBM? It may be that she doesn't like the formula very much...maybe it's worth trying another brand to see if she will take more of that.

Did you start solids as soon as you started offering formula? If so have you tried just offering formula and no solids, seeing as she needs to be filling up with milk at this age.

My LO is 5 months 2 weeks aswell, she has a few spoonfuls of baby rice in the morning (as told by HV) And she takes roughly 21oz-26oz a day.. I bf in the begining but not for long shes on aptimil as i tryed sma.. cow and gate and she didnt like them very much!! xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->