How much pocket money for a 15 year old??

nikkip75

Reaction score
My daughter is 15 next month and normally we just give her money when she needs it. Weekends she goes to her friends houses or into town so we give her bus fair and money for something to eat. Then through the week shes getting £1 here £2 there and its all adding up to a lot some weeks!

So we have said she can have pocket money every saturday but she has to make it last the week. If she runs out there will be nomore until the next saturday. So even if she wants to go to a friends and shes spent it all she will have to walk there and back.

Does this sound fair?? And how much would you give? We were thinking maybe £10. This is all on top of her dinner money everyday for school which is £2.50/£3 which obviously she has to have regardless. Shes costing us a fortune at the moment and doesnt really appreciate it half the time so thinking maybe this will start to make her realise that money DOESNT gown on trees!!

My brother is 15 and is given £10 every monday for the week. xx

I got my child benfit given to me when i was about 14 so roughly £40 a month my parents also gave me £1 for every £5 i earnt myself i had a part time job washing up in a pub kitchen on saturday and sunday lunch times.

My brother and sister both get £15 each a week & there 14 and 15, but they also sometimes save up there dinner money & take a packet lunch lol. I must admit there both spoilt.

Dylan is 11 and not including his lunch money or money for his afterschool activities (football etc) he gets 15 a week

My sister is 15 and she gets £25 a month and thats put in her bank account, she gets bus money everyday which is £2.20 that she tends to save up LOL

None. I had a job by then. Babysitting and paper route until I turned 14 and could get a work permit at which point I got a cashier job.

I was thinking £5 a week til I saw the other posts! £10 seems generous to me. What we did when I was younger, and I think was great, is to have a low basic amount, and the opportunity to do chores for extra. I did my mums ironing for years!

we will be doing what dh got, which will be $250 a month from age 14, to go in a bank account, with any money made from summer/part time jobs. Hopefully they will be money savvy and have quite a lot of savings for uni etc, and for any dvds/trips/treats. We would give school bus/lunch money separate, and of course if financially something happens this may get cut down.:flower:

My kids wont get "pocket" money
if they are going out they can do some extra chores and earn some
but no money to have just for the sake of having it
I am tooo mean

My teenagers have to get the bus home from school, it costs us £40 each a month. We give them £50 a month, which is to pay for the bus fare and the extra £10 is their 'pocket money'. But if they cycle, get a lift with a friend or stay in after school clubs, they can save the bus fare and keep the extra money.

I used to get £50 a month but that was for everything - lunches, clothes, going out etc... I almost always chose to make sandwiches instead of buying lunch. I also did A LOT of babysitting, had an evening job 2 hours a twice week making tea for bridge players & worked Saturdays in a pet shop. Before then I had a paper round too and was a mothers helper later on.

I think at that age it's a really good thing to give a larger lump sum to budget for lots of things. I also think it's a good idea to keep the amount fairly minimal to encourage earning extra.
My pocket money eas also stopped as a punishment occassionally - which was a huge factor in making me take part time jobs!

Sounds very fair, i used to get £5 a week . I would give £5 a week then extra if they help out around the house

My daughter will get £10 a week once she is a teen :)

I never got money for doing nothing, all my chores had a price attached so if I was lazy and didn't do any of them then I wouldn't get any money! I was a good system IMO, I was in control of how much money I got xxx

Yeah we had a low amount but did chores for extra. I had a paper round too. I think it is important to teach them how to budget, and the value of things; just giving them money as and when they need it doesn't do that. An amount needs to be decided that's fair for the week, and it has to last the week lol

I had a saturday job by time I was 15 and that was £25 each saturday

Parents would buy most of my clothes though still

By 16 I was working full time so all monies stopped from parents!

Was brought up to graft, graft and graft some more!

When I was 15, I was told to get a paper round... so I had a paper round and didn't get any pocket money!!
In my eyes pocket money ought to stop around 15...

Dan is almost 13 and he gets £10 per week but he also gets £3-£4 per day when at school. :)

I got given 5 'gulden' (bye bye poor currency, you'll be missed) a week, which roughly works out to £2.20 ... lmao!

As for school lunches, I got given 10 gulden, so call it £5 for 'emergencies'. I had a packed lunch and drink with me every day and the £5 would usually last me the entire school year. I didn't see the need to buy snacks, sweets, food or drinks at school.

My brother however got given the same and would spend his 'emergency money' every single day. How's that for fair eh? You'd think my parents would have tried to even it out, but nah uh.

I agree with around £10 a week, it's plenty at that age and if she wants more money she can get a job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->