How much should a 4 year old be reading and writing

Primary school starts at age 5 here, and children are not expected to be able to read and write. They are expected to be able to dress or undress themselves, go to the toilet themselves, put their own shoes on and understand that they eat food at lunchtime etc etc.

It seems to be a lot more relaxed here than overseas. I was brought up this way and had no problems learning to read and write. I certainly don't expect Sophie to read and write or anything. I have been assisting Thomas with phonics and he recognises letters just from being interested, but I haven't forced lessons on him.

Natsku what do you mean by cross their center line?

For instance if they're drawing or painting on a big piece of paper and they are using their right hand they continue to use their right hand when drawing/painting right over on the far left side of the paper. Before they have that ability young children will usually swap the pen/brush to their other hand to the other side. I've noticed that Maria does that still sometimes, her daycare teacher said that's one of the things they look out for in their development, to know when they are ready to start reading and writing.

Another indicator of readiness is if they can skip and swing their arms in an opposite rhythm - so right arm swings forward while skipping from the left leg, then left arm with right leg.

Climbing helps this develop because they have to use both arms and legs at the same time to climb up, and sometimes move right arm and left leg at the same time and vice versa.

Edit: This explains it better https://www.childdevelopment.com.au/areas-of-concern/diagnoses/130

This was also said to me regarding crawling - it requires arms and legs to cross the centre line and move in oppositional directions. It was always stressed to me as being very important, so I always wondered why it wasn't elsewhere in the world, i.e mums on here saying not to worry if baby never crawls.

school age start at 6 yo here and no one is expected to know anything, most can write their name though.
If you walk you cross your legs too,or climb on a jungle gym.

My daughter could read when she started p1 and as a result she is having to get different reading books from the rest of her class because they are too easy for her. As for the writing they get that as homework my daughters writing was not great she's only been in school 1 month and I can hardly believe the improvement. I just want to add I never tried to teach my girl to read she had a huge interest in it herself and it was constantly "what does that say?" "Let me read!"

Natsku what do you mean by cross their center line?

For instance if they're drawing or painting on a big piece of paper and they are using their right hand they continue to use their right hand when drawing/painting right over on the far left side of the paper. Before they have that ability young children will usually swap the pen/brush to their other hand to the other side. I've noticed that Maria does that still sometimes, her daycare teacher said that's one of the things they look out for in their development, to know when they are ready to start reading and writing.

Another indicator of readiness is if they can skip and swing their arms in an opposite rhythm - so right arm swings forward while skipping from the left leg, then left arm with right leg.

Climbing helps this develop because they have to use both arms and legs at the same time to climb up, and sometimes move right arm and left leg at the same time and vice versa.

Edit: This explains it better https://www.childdevelopment.com.au/areas-of-concern/diagnoses/130

This was also said to me regarding crawling - it requires arms and legs to cross the centre line and move in oppositional directions. It was always stressed to me as being very important, so I always wondered why it wasn't elsewhere in the world, i.e mums on here saying not to worry if baby never crawls.

I can understand the crossing the body thing re learning to write. But there must be 1000's of people who never crawled that can read and write with out issue.

I'm not saying that, I meant more that it was something important for the brain, it helps to form some sort of connection between the hemispheres...been a while since Thomas was a wee baby and the nurse told me about it. I think plenty of other activities also help this connection. I've never met a baby/toddler who didn't crawl so I would assume it was pretty unusual? Reaching for food and toys for a sitting infant I would think would also make them cross their arms around in all sorts of directions :).

I think it was to do with tummy time in general, the importance of it was to get that cross-motion started, or something like that. I never got Sophie to do tummy time and she seems pretty normal to me.

I've never met a baby/toddler who didn't crawl so I would assume it was pretty unusual?

I knew several kits who scooted around on their bottom in a sitting position. It's more common due to babies not spending at much time on their stomach. Since they are all about 5 now we'll see if anyone has trouble reading. lol (Avery is the youngest of all her friends, they all got to start kindergarten)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->