• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How much to spend on baby gift?

sojourn

Soon to have 2 under 2
Reaction score
We have LOADS of people around us having babies right now! Most of them are just random co-workers of my husband's whose wives are having babies. However, one of them is one of my husband's best friends and his wife. This guy was in our wedding and we just adore them.

They live 5 hours away and she is due 8 weeks after me. I likely won't be going to her shower, since I'll either be having a baby, or tending to a newborn. I still want to buy them a present (my husband bought his friend a Gator onesie, but I'd like to buy something a little more practical).

Anyway...how much would you spend on a gift for someone you weren't going to the shower of? Do you think it matters?

It sounds like you are close to her in a way (even though it is through your husband) so I would definitely get her something.

I usually spend about 30$ on my friend's baby shower. I have never not gone to one though and honestly don't see how it really matters, but maybe some people might think to spend less because you don't get to enjoy the fun or food of the party?

Maybe since you aren't going then maybe buy something really neat, special or unusual (not more expensive) for the baby instead of the normal clothes, burp cloths etc that way your gift stands is memorable even though you aren't there?

did she get something for your baby shower? Maybe you can wait and see what she gets you, lol. :) Or maybe think about it if the situation was reversed.

I am not having a shower, but with dd I did and I had a registry and no one bought anything from it. I wasn't bothered at all and actually preferred them picking out their own presents just to see what they got BUT I have read a lot about people who get really upset when no one gets anything off their registry so I am guessing everyone is different and I don't know what she would like/want from someone who isn't coming.

Good luck! :)

How ever much you want to spend :) I bought tonnes of stuff for my old best friend. When we found out she was having a girl, for her baby shower and after bub was born. I love buying baby things lol!!
Just depends on what you can afford at the time.

It really depends on who you're getting for - will they be getting lots of hand-me-downs from siblings or friends? No point in buying a ton of stuff in that case as it just clutters. Maybe buy one really nice thing.

If it was a friend I'd prob spend up to £20, if it was a colleague then around a tenner. But I don't think price matters - you can get a little or a lot for your money in different shops!

I think it really depends - everyone has different financial situations and stuff, you know? For a family member or close friend- $50, acquaintances and co-workers- $20ish.

Yeah, I was just trying to guess a range. Or if it was a weird thing to do!
I just bought her something off of her registry. I had a 20% off coupon, so I spent about $30 instead of $40, so that was good.
She didn't get anything for the baby (yet?), but she also didn't know when the shower was. (Communicating baby stuff through the husbands is IMPOSSIBLE!!)

I just went with my usual method; I buy the most boring thing in my price range on the registry :haha: I know that is, usually, what people need/want the most. I was SOOO excited when people bought stuff like my crib mattress and bottle cleaners. The cute/fun stuff is fun to buy for yourself, it's nice not to have to buy the boring things.

For friends $20-40. For best friends and extended family probably $50-80. For my sister or SIL whenever they have babies, I honestly have no idea. I'm not sure I'll have a limit. :rofl:

Guess it really depends on how much you can afford to spend on a gift as well, I generally spend about $20, I mean if I had a bit more money or if I was really close I might spend a bit more..

A friend with my first made me a "diaper cake" - it was basically a pack of newborn nappies rolled and tied prettily to look like a cake. A few other basics as decorations. It was fab. She also bought ME a mini bottle of champagne, eye brightened and a mascara. Brilliant!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->