How often do your in laws / parents see your child?

Not very often, probably going to be 3 or 4 times a year. My mum lives in the UK and I live in Germany and it's not so easy for me to get back home - nearest airport to me is Frankfurt and that's about a 2 hour drive away. Plus it's expensive to take the car and park it there (cheaper than a train ticket believe it or not, quicker and less hassle) and plane ticket prices aren't cheap either. I'm currently visiting for a month and won't be visiting again until Christmas. My OHs family don't see LO much either, they've only visited once since LO was born.

My mum pops around when she fancys, maybe once a week sometimes more sometimes less..

MIL and FIL never come around yet will moan we dont go around enough (even when we was going once a week)

SIL will pop round one or twice a week depending

The problem we have with MIL and FIL is that we would have to visit on a weekend or after 6pm.. Hubby is working mon-fri 5:30 - 5:30, Saturday 6:30-1pm.. So we as a family only get 1 day a week to ourselfs in which we visit grandad for a couple of hours (his in his 90's), but its because FIL does not feel comfy in other peoples houses according to SIL..

Everyone wants a bit of us but we dont have the time

This thread makes me feel a bit mean, we only live around the corner from my parents, but we only see them 2/3 times per week (more on school holidays as my mum works in a school).
I think I am overly controlling and critical, but after a few hours of being around them they start to drive me mad.

I certainly couldn't stand seeing them every day, in fact we have a 'don't just drop in' policy, I hate unexpected visitors...
But when my daughter was tiny my mum did come over every single day to 'help'. At first she was a great help as my daughter was very unsettled when she was tiny, but it soon became too much seeing her every day and she didn't seem to get my gentle hints so I had to resort to more harsh hints. Yup, mean. :blush:

Hmm we see why mum maybe once or twice a week when she turns up, she hasn't been this week but she had the kids last Saturday. My dad every few weeks, he works a lot but he will come up on the train when he gets chance and we drive down there sometimes (like last night)
We didn't see inlaws for a long time because we fell out but since we had the new baby they've been a lot better, we see them between once a week and once every other week. Suits me fine x

My mum has LO 3 times a week while I'm at work, then we'll usually pop over at the weekend so that my dad can see LO (although he's been off for a few weeks recently and has LOVED spending time with LO)

IL's is usually once every couple of months. They live about 30 miles away and are both retired, yet don't seem to pop over very often. We didn't visit them for a while as I was training every Saturday to be a special up until recently and sometimes OH works on the weekends so Sundays was the only day we had and didn't fancy making the day of it to go and see them a lot of the time as we were both shattered!

I couldn't imagine not seeing my mum and dad a lot. I'm always popping in unannounced!!

My kids haven't seen my mum for 3 yrs as she passed away :(
they haven't seen my dad in almost the same amount of time, as he lives in Australia and we are in the US.
The IL's haven't seen them in about 6 mths as we moved from California to Texas 5 mths ago, even before we moved from California the IL'S didn't want anything to do with them! sad really, but luckily it doesn't seem to effect the kids!!

My kids see my mum about once a month and they will never see my in laws, FIL has never bothered to meet them which doesn't surprise me as he doesn't even bother with his own kids and MIL has only seen my son when OH took him over, she has never made an effort to see them and she has never met DD so I decided she isn't seeing them anymore, when she once again refused to come over when we offered to pay taxi/train fare. x x x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->