How often does your 5 month old feed?

Peppermint25

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just wondered the above as I really don't think my little girl feeds enough. She's 5 months and a good weight, 19 pounds but for the last week she has started going really long between feeds and never seems hungry any more. She used to be a right little muncher!

She is breastfed and used to go about 2 hours between feeds. Now she is going 3.5 to 4 hours between but sometimes even after 4 hours she doesn't seem that interested.
I'm getting concerned that this is a long time between feeds for her and for my supply. Am I right to think this or is this normal for her age?

Thanks in advance :)

I formula feed, and she was taking 8 oz bottles every three hours (4-5 bottles during the day, no night feeds), and would have some puréed food at dinner. She was only about 14 lbs at 5 months though. :)

Maybe ask her doctor if you're concerned to see what they say?

Millie is exclusively BFed and goes up to 4 hours between feeds, and sometimes 8/9 hours at night.

She has no solids or anything like that yet. She's a content & very happy baby so I just go with it.

Thanks for your replies. My LO is happy and alert too, I just find it mind boggling how she can feed for only 5 or 10 minutes sometimes then go 4 hours until her next feed. I guess maybe she is just very efficient at feeding. I wish sometimes I could see how much she actually takes at a feed!

Other mums at baby groups seem to have their babies attached to their boob and babies the same age as her their mums say they feed every 2 hours max! I know its silly to compare as all babies are so different.

She also wakes 3-4 times at night to feed, although more just snack, so perhaps is using that time to fill up on calories.

Millie is an efficient feeder too, a full feed takes 7mins or less. :thumbup: so easy

I have an efficient feeder as well, 5-10 minutes at a time and 10 minutes is unusual! He goes between 2-4 hours at a time, it varies.

My LO could go 3/4 hours during the day and then could empty one breast in 5 mins. She was feeding frequently at night also so I think this is why. She's 6 months now and is starting to go longer stretches at night 5 hours or so (thank goodness)

Your schedule seems normal to me :)

Nathan will be 5 months old in two days time. He was big at birth, 10lbs 8oz. Let's see, he feeds on and off through the night as he feels like it. Then during the day he probably feeds roughly every 3-4 hours I'd say. Sometimes less but not often, when he does then it's more for comfort if you know what I mean.
He wears 6-9 month clothes at the moment. He's long rather than fat.
Oh and he doesn't have solids.

I think that's fine! Mine is about 5 1/2 months and I feed her 4 times during the day ( 3-4 hr stretches) and once at night. She is also about 18-19 lbs. no worries

Thomas was nursing four hourly at that age, and Sophie (who was bigger and gained more weight at the start) has always gone 3 or more hours between nursings. At 5 months she had a hards time staying interested in breastfeeding and went 4-5 hourly at times, even though I offered 3 hourly.

My daughter is 5 months, 3 weeks. She eats after every sleep, which is about every 4 hours. She feed for about 7- 10 minutes each time. She also comfort nurses before naps, but that's only for a minute or two (we're also trying to phase this out). She sleeps 10+ hours at night without nursing. She is average weight/height.

Thanks for all these replies. That makes me feel much better knowing your LO's are similar. I think she really is getting too nosey so is more interested in playing and looking about to be so interested in milk these days. Last night between 7 and 10pm she seemed to just keep waking up and wanting feeds. So perhaps that was making up for not feeding much throughout the day. I'm going to try and stop worrying now and just go with the flow! :) xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->