• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How often to feed 3months baby?

MrsTT

Reaction score
My LO is 14 weeks and I was previously feeding her expressed breast milk.

I moved her onto formula over several weeks, and was feeding every 3 hours. ( she feeds 5-6times a day)

LO was previously having around 30oz in 24hours but is now down to 24oz. And now HV have suggested that I stretch out her feeds to 4hours to give her more time to digest the formula. (As she's been suffering with acid reflux)

I'm worried she wont be getting enough if I space out her feeds.
Currently I'm feeding her 5-6 times in 24 hours . Last night she slept an 9 and half hour stretch so only got fed 5 times. If I space out her feeds she will be down to 4-5 feeds a day.

Also I thought reflux babies should be fed less amount more frequently?

Ideally, you should feed on demand, no matter whether it's BM or formula. It's the same. If she's hungry, feed her. As much as she wants and as often as she wants it. If she isn't hungry, then wait until she is to give her time to digest, but I wouldn't specifically try to schedule it. I don't know about the idea of feeding less often for a baby with reflux (never heard of that), but I know with adults with reflux, they say little and often is better as it doesn't overwhelm the stomach, and particularly with reflux babies who tend to vomit after feeding, little and often seems like it would make more sense.

No experience with reflux but I dont know how youd make them go longer? If their hungry their hungry. Dd would be hysterical if she had to wait for her feed when she's hungry. If you think it would help you'd maybe have to try waiting a few extra minutes each time instead of the whole hour and build upto it. Not sure if that would work?

I jus carried on feeding on demand. LO likes to feed every 3 hours, and cries hysterically even if u make her wait for 2mins.

It feels easier jus to to with the flow

I too suggest feeding on demand! Also, my LO sleeps through the night too but I don't think he is old enough to go that many hours without a feed. So I usually feed st bedtime, then do one dream feed (where I feed in his sleep) in the middle of the night.

My lo has reflux and his GP suggested having breaks during his bottle. He usually has 3oz then rests for a while then has another 2oz. He doesn't always let us and guzzles the whole bottle but mostly it seems to work. He has about 5 bottles a day.

I just feed on demand. My LO likes a really long slow feed in the evening - the other day I counted that between 4-8 he had 4 boobs and 8oz formula! I just go with whatever he wants :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->