How our little boy entered the world - nowhere near how it was planed lol...with pics

iwanta8a8y

TTC #3 ;-)
Reaction score
:cloud9: BABY TOBY - BORN 10.39pm 7th OCTOBER 2010 WEIGHING 7lb 9oz :cloud9:

Sorry its so long...:blush:

So it all started with me waking up at 4am on 7th October as i had really bad back pain, just couldn’t get comfy in bed, so I came downstairs and got on my ball to help ease the pain, that seemed to do the trick. Then at about 4.30am I went for a wee and had a bloody show (although wasn’t sure at the time that that is what it was, some of you may have seen my post that morning about it) however then the contractions started and I realised that this was it, i was going into labour.

I woke Rob (my OH) up at 6.30am and told him he couldn’t go to work today as we were having a baby lol today. We called the Midwifery Unit (as I was hoping for a water birth) at 7.30am to let them know my contractions had started and to see what stage they wanted me to go in, they asked me to rest, eat, get some sleep and to go in when I was getting contractions every 3 minutes lasting 60seconds long. So we were at home most of the day and at about 3pm in the afternoon, I told my OH that we needed to go in, the contractions were pretty much lasting 60seconds every three minutes, but the pain was getting stronger and stronger...needless to say I couldn’t sleep while I was at home with the contractions, I tried having a bath, but I just couldn’t get comfy in there when the contractions came, so I got out after about 5-10 minutes.

So, we headed to the ABC (Maternity Unit at the local hospital) Rob was great, trying to make me laugh when the contractions came to take my mind off them, but then we got to a road with speed humps...THAT HURT! Haha. So we got to the ABC and the midwives were great, they got us into a room and brought in a birthing ball for me to use to ease the pain, when I was getting my contractions, that did help in the earlier stages, but then it was doing nothing for me, I originally wanted to give birth under as little pain relief as i could, I knew that i would have gas and air, but hoped that was all i needed – BOY DID I UNDERESTIMATE IT! – It was so hard, I was begging for more drugs, but as i wanted a water birth they were trying to persuade me not to. I didn’t take anything, but then at about 5pm i had to have something else, so they gave me a shot of pethadine, this just made me violently sick, together with the gas and air. I kept asking when i could get into the pool and they told me that I wasn’t ready for it yet and kept giving me goals to reach to encourage me throughout the contractions. I finally reached being fully dialiated, however my waters hadn’t broken, so these were broken for me.

BUT...when they broke them they found that my baby had passed meconium in utero. This was the end of my water birth dreams – I was gutted! They had to take me down straight away out of the midwifery unit to the hospital to deliver our baby. By this time I was in AGONY and so upset i wouldn’t be able to have my water birth, they took me into the room and there was a pediatrician standing by with the recovery unit (however I didn’t notice this at the time) as I was so high on the gas and air – I didn’t let it leave my mouth, lol.

I was in the pushing stage for about half an hour, and then our baby was born...but it was then silent – there as no noise, I was shattered, but I remember asking if my baby was ok and why it wasn’t crying, Rob went to cut the cord as was planned in our birth plan, but the midwife said there was no time, we needed to get the baby to the resuscitation unit, he wasn’t breathing...

The paediatrician started straight away but there was still nothing...we were both sick with worry – it took him 3 MINUTES to start breathing on this own, it was the most scariest time of our lives – it seemed like a lifetime before we heard his cry. But there it was, he started screaming, but it was the best thing we had ever heard, we both started crying tears of joy. Our baby boy was brought over to us and placed on my chest. He was still quite blue/purple after what he had been through, but he was absolutely fine in the end - we were so relieved. We then got some time alone with our baby before i was whisked off to theatre for stitching - I had got a third degree tear during the birth as he came out like superman.

We are all absolutely fine and we are loving being parents – its the most amazing thing in the world

Official length of labour from 4cm dilated was 5 and a half hours.

:cloud9: BABY TOBY - BORN 10.39pm 7th OCTOBER 2010 WEIGHING 7lb 9oz :cloud9:

First two pictures from hospital, third picture is most recent day 11

Attachments

• IMG_0095.jpg
    IMG_0095.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0098.jpg
    IMG_0098.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0172.jpg
    IMG_0172.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 39
He's beautiful. Sorry you had such a scary time at the end, but great job. he is perfect.

Aw hun must have been very scary glad hes ok though and looks beautiful xxx congratulations xxx

Wow, sorry that must have been SO scary - but well done and congratulations, he's stunning :cloud9:
x

What a great story...well done you! Hope you are feeling less sore now! Congratulations :blue: xxx

congratulations, its all over now hes stunning and u look really good considering u just gave birth :haha: xx

congrats and well done on the birth of beautiful Toby! Those first few moments of his life must have been so scary, so glad he got going and is doing well now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->