• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How popular is the name Elijah where you live??

We're calling our baby Ilau (pronounced Eli). I thought it was really unique but now not so sure!!!

I'm a teacher and have never come across one in the UK,I know its popular in USA, but its top of our list at the moment, but purely for its biblical meaning :) We already have a Josiah.

I'm going to be calling my son Elijah, Eli for short! I love it! I'm in the UK and don't know anyone else called it! X

its very popular here well Eli is anyway, i know a couple of women who called their babies Elijah and one adult named eli too

It doesnt seem very much used in my area. I never had any classmates during school with the name, but it may be gaining some popularity more recently. Ive still not heard of any children or babies with the name around here though!

It depends where you live, I'm in London and I come across a few Elijah's two in my daughters preschool. I think it's mainly Christian/Muslim/ Jewish families tho because all 3 religions has a prophet called Elijah so it's possible more common here but not unbearably so x

Love that name! I have a friend who has a boy with that name, and I'm a teacher (elementary music) and have 3 or 4 boys out of 500 with that name as well. Awesome name though!

I love the name Elijah but it doesn't really go with our surname :(

It's not extremely popular but it's in the top 20 favourite names I think.

Ooh really?? How would you find that out??

Sad about the surname thing :cry: Ive had the same problem and my maiden name would have gone with ANYTHING!! Grrr, lol :haha:

We're calling our baby Ilau (pronounced Eli). I thought it was really unique but now not so sure!!!

Great spelling!! I dont actually know any Eli's in real life but I dont want to call my son something that half his friends will be called too. I know it shouldnt matter but for some reason it just does to me :dohh:

It depends where you live, I'm in London and I come across a few Elijah's two in my daughters preschool. I think it's mainly Christian/Muslim/ Jewish families tho because all 3 religions has a prophet called Elijah so it's possible more common here but not unbearably so x

Im from oooop North :winkwink: and I dont actually know any Elijahs in real life. I dont mind there being a one or two, or if the name becomes more popular in years to come (my teenage daughter is called Lily and she doesnt share her name with anyone her age, however the fact that its very popular now doesnt bother me one bit) I just dont want my son sharing his name with half his class.

Silly, I know!! :blush:

Great spelling!! I dont actually know any Eli's in real life but I dont want to call my son something that half his friends will be called too. I know it shouldnt matter but for some reason it just does to me :dohh:

Thanks - its the Welsh spelling

Both lovely names, and both on our list.

Neither are popular where i am from.

No one with that name at the school i work at! xx

No one with that name at the school i work at! xx

Where abouts are you??

Always great to hear from people that work in schools, pretty large pool of children to collate info! :thumbup:

Thanks hun. x

Hey hun, pick a name that will fit your child. Don't read too much into popularity of the name. Whether common or not, if you really like the name go for it. I'm from the US and a Christian so I know at least 5 Elijahs. But I personally would name my child a less popular name if I really liked it. Right now I'm looking into Hebrew names and meaning for my soon-to-be daughter.

I love the name Elijah - my OH doesn't like it. I don't know anyone called it. As far as I know it's a biblical name (someone earlier said American?).
Of course, there is Elijah in Vampire Diaries and Elijah Wood but I don't know any others

Elijah is a hebrew name (biblical) not an "american" name. It means "The Lord is my God". I think it's more popular in North America (generally) because theres a larger christian population out here. Its on our name list...LOVE it! Just not a big fan of "Eli"...but I still love the name...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amama
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->