How soon after they show signs of being sick do you take them to the dr?

mommyof3co

Mommy of 4 amazing boys!
Reaction score
So my pediatrician is no help, she didn't see him in the NICU and never seems to remember his history and she told me to do the same with him as I would my older boys...let them ride it out. But when he was leaving the NICU they had said NOT to do that.

Preston is sick again....over the last 4wks or so we haven't made it a full week without him getting sick again :( But now he had a fever all night, assuming he still does he's down for a nap, he started coughing last night, he's congested, runny nose and one eye is a bit yucky too. Our pediatrician isn't open, since it's Sunday, but we have an ER I could take him to. Do you think that we should take him before he gets worse, have them look him over and I'm sure test for RSV? Or should I hold off and try and let it run it's course? He isn't struggling to breathe or we'd of course be there right away, but he's breathing heavy and fast and you can hear the congestion as he breathes.

Sounds a bit like what Sophie was like a few weeks ago, and we phoned NHS Direct about 10pm on the Sunday night because she had a fever, a cough and just wasn't herself. She'd just woken up like that and we phoned them straight away just to make sure. They said because she was so premature, to take her up to A&E just to get her checked over by a doctor, so we did that, and she had an ear infection and an upper respiratory infection and had to get antibiotics.

Our doctors always tell us they'd rather we were over-fussy with her and it turn out to be nothing, than not to go for fear of wasting their time.

Hope he is ok.

xx

We were told to do the same thing. Go immediately if we had a problem. Preemies do not respond to illness the same way. A lot of the time they have a delayed response so if they are acting sick then they usually are pretty sick. And who cares if they don't like you for going in. I would rather have a healthy baby then a happy dr. They get paid just the same.

Thanks ladies, we took him in. He has a sinus infection, surprisingly they didn't test for RSV this time but we will watch him and see how he does. They told us we could hold off on filling the antibiotics for now because he isn't TOO bad but told us what to watch for that would show we need to start them. So for now I'm doing that because he's been on antibiotics quite a few times since being born, things in the NICU, having sepsis twice, staph in his eye...so we don't want him building up tolerance for when he REALLY needs them. He's doing alright tonight, low grade temp and congestion still but not acting too bad

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burgess422
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->