how soon can i use cloth??

missmayhem

Mummy to 2 little cuties
Reaction score
hello ladies

how soon can u put baby in cloth after birth, i remember somebody saying to wait till after the first poo....

is this true or can i do it straight away?

I know people who have done it from straightaway :thumbup:

A lot of people just like to wait for a few weeks until they've kind of settled into having baby around if you know what I mean? X

i have ordered the bambino mio newborn kit to start my stash if i wait a few weeks bubs may be too big to fit them

I told myself that I would probably wait until she about 4 weeks and I can get used to it. Turns out the minute I got her home (after 4 days in hospital) I couldn't wait to put her in a cloth nappy! We were on and off in cloth for a few days since we still had my sister and his mum staying with us to help and they didn't get cloth like we did. But then at about a week and a half we were fully doing cloth and have never looked back.

I think some people wait until they get all the meconium out, but if you use muslins in the beginning you don't have to worry about ruining any of your cute cloth. Also obviously it's a bit more difficult to use cloth in the hospital as they're all about sposies, but I hear of people who do it all the time. I don't think I could have done it with baby number one as it's quite a learning curve, but now I know exactly what to do and will definitely be bringing them in hospital for baby number two.

If you're homebirthing though you don't have to worry about all of that and just go with the flow in you're own home! :)

We'll be using cloth from birth. The first poos are pretty sticky but we'll just use fleece liners and hope to catch it. They're only nappies anyway!

I used from birth and used a fleece liner for the first fewdays of poo..was no issue at all!!

Did the meconium poos wash out ok?x

I asked about this a while back too. We've decided to wait until the cord falls off, then start our cloth. Can't wait to use them though!!!

how long does it take the cord to fall, i have 4 or so packs of 27 newborn nappies (sposies)

but would far rather use the cloth

how long does it take the cord to fall, i have 4 or so packs of 27 newborn nappies (sposies)

but would far rather use the cloth

I think the average us 7-10 days. With our first, it was day 11. We used 8-10 nappies a day from birth, so we'll have to make sure we have about 100 disposables on hand first.

We just folded back the tops of diapers so that they didn't rub on the cord stump. We used sposies for the first 2 days in hospital (the hospital provided them, otherwise hubby was willing to tote diapers back and forth) and she had the meconium out of her system by the time we were discharged on day 3 :thumbup:

We used cloth from birth. Whilst meconium is a pain to clean off the baby's skin, it absolutely does not stain cloth at all. It's ironic that it's the mec that people worry about from stains, but it's actually the breastmilk poos (and formula poos too I guess?) that can stain.

I'd start from birth, but use a flushable liner until everything has cleared through the system, and the meconium has cleared away. Everything is new at first, so starting with cloth straight away means that you've got that learning curve over with n one fell swoop.

^Definitely! You just get used to the faff of disposables - bagging, binning, emptying the bins daily - and then you change it all!

I started at about 3 weeks I think! My stash isn't big enough to do it day in day out yet, I need to buy more ... good thing I'm so addicted :p

We never bothered to buy any sposies and just put her in cloth the first night. I can't remember if we used a liner but I do remember putting some meconium through the wash and it came off just fine. No need to do anything special and no stains. Prefolds work great with a newborn.

I had baby last Friday, we tried cloth on Tuesday but I couldn't sort it to not rub on her cord, even with the top folded over. So we stopped and when it fell off yesterday (day 6) I was so excited to be able to put her in cloth!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->