How soon do you start planning/buying

SoldierWife

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I have started thinking about Christmas and my husband thinks I'm crazy for starting so soon. We are in the process of trying to climb out of debt thanks to some immature decisions we made in the past so I figure buying a little bit over each month will make it easier to stay on budget!

I've already picked up some bits which ive seen in shops - either particularly cheap or in the sales - that I think my little ones will like and I'll either give them as a treat when needed but if not they will become presents. This is probably the first time I've started this early though - I think coming in here encourages me!!!

I usually start planning after my son's birthday at the end of August. But I usually don't buy much for the kids until later because I'm always worried they won't be as into things by the time Christmas rolls around. That happened last year when I preordered a hatchimal but neither of my kids wanted one. :dohh:

I haven't brought anything yet I'm waiting till we come back of our holiday in October to start buying which is really late for me. I've got a few ideas for the girls jotted down on my phone... no leaving lists lying about anymore now belle is reading lol

I'm trying to leave the girls stuff especially Isabelle's as long as possible as her interests change all the time last month she mentioned a baby alive and a pottery wheel then it was a Nintendo switch and now it's a Nintendo ds!

I usually start planning after my son's birthday at the end of August. But I usually don't buy much for the kids until later because I'm always worried they won't be as into things by the time Christmas rolls around. That happened last year when I preordered a hatchimal but neither of my kids wanted one. :dohh:

This is what worries me, I see also these ladies that buy loads now and I know if I did that my kids would change their minds!

I think last year I started buying in October

This year we've had a massive drop in income so I started yesterday as I want to get things right this year for Olivia :blush:

Iv started already picking up little bits, stocking fillers or board games but I leave main presents or character themed presents until nearer the time incase they change their mind or interests xx

I have almost finished my youngest, just two more things to grab and thats him done :)

I have a few bits for my grandson, just need to get him some clothes.

My eldest will be done in October.

I dont usually plan when I will start, I just buy when they mention they need or would like something. My youngest is really into lego at the moment, he loves wwe wrestling and he has mentioned that he needs a few new bits for his xbox so I have based his gifts on these 3 things and just added some games we can play as a family :)

I start Thomas' shopping right after Christmas. His interests haven't changed over the years so he's very easy to buy for. It's around now/September that I start planning for everyone else.

I've started already but only things that are dirt cheap or from charity shops. I won't buy the boys their main gift until nearer the time as they change their mind so much.

I've got a couple of stocking filler bits but the main toys I'll buy late October/November after their birthdays. That's when I'll have more money and can be sure the girls will still be into those toys.
I do let the girls choose one main Santa gift and I'll wait until December to get that, in case they change their minds. Last year DD changed her mind four times about what he would bring her.

I usually start Boxing Day and am all done by October - with the exception of fresh fruits and juice boxes for the Santa Sacks which I tend to leave until Christmas Eve. But this whole year has just been painfully expensive and so far I only have one for each of the 3 boys. I usually go nuts and Christmas and spend way too much money but last year we were getting ready for a baby so it was a lot smaller than usual and it will be again this year due to our last baby being due end of Jan. But if all goes to plan, we will be ready for her by New Years and I can get back to my almost normal routine of making my lists up and buying. I have no where to hide presents in my house so usually they get wrapped and left in the lounge where the kids actually leave them alone but that's only because they know what will happen if they touch them. :rofl: I told them one year to leave them because if I caught them touching they would loose them and they called my bluff so guess what? And it stayed that way until Christmas morning. I usually do a lot of Amazon shopping especially for LEGO but that won't happen this year. :( I compromise with hubby on that too so if I do Amazon, then I pay the bill because I wanted to shop offshore - he'd rather not - though he will usually happily pay the International shipping which is generally less.

It's my oldest son birthday on Tuesday. After that I usually start buying. My Amazon basket is full of bits I've been saving for ideas and I have lists vaguely started. But this year I want it all done before baby arrives!

We usually start buying in October or November. I don't even have a clue what to buy this year though!

I normally start mid year. I've got a few small bits and both the boys main presents. My eldest has pretty focused interested that has been for a while, where as my youngest like anything he sees advertised so we buy based on what he actually likes to play with.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't know what to buy thanks to their changing interest!!

I've usually bought loads by this point, but I'm trying do things a little differently this year. I'm saving with Park for the first time, so will go shopping with vouchers in October/November. I usually end up buying far too much because it's a good price, and then buy more closer to Christmas because ds1 has seen things he likes. I'm hoping this year will be a little more organised and buying from a list. I've downloaded a fab app where I add ideas for everyone, and can mark off what I've bought, where and what price.

I save all year, but I don't start buying until after ds2 and ds4 birthdays in October. I have been looking and adding things to my amazon list for a few months now though. I probably won't do any other planning until much closer, but I do know I'm not having everyone come here like last year. They all invited themselves round, made demands about things that they wanted to happen, then barely ate a thing and left immediately after eating, while during the whole meal my mother in law and sister in law sat there with faces like slapped arses. AND after barely touching their food, they all went back to my brother in laws and had food there, and had a merry old time by the sounds of it.

I've started planning but not buying yet but I have things bookmarked, I'll probably start buying after I finish shopping for my eldest's birthday so sometime in October.

I don't know if I am more stressed about the money or figuring out what to buy. My oldest thankfully has started to get pretty consistent with his interests the younger one I have no idea what to buy. I struggle buying toys since we have so many already!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->