How to block feed? Green Poo issue

gills8752

Mum of 2 Girl
Reaction score
Heya,

I've been trying to block feed LO as she's had green poo for a few days now.
I've been doing one boob at night, then one boob for morn, one for afternoon but she still had green poo, so tried one at night then one per 2 hours. I haven't checked her bum yet today as she's sleeping just now.
How long would it take to have an affect? I thought it would have worked fairly quickly but maybe I'm not leaving it long enough?

I've been expressing off some milk in the morning before feeding her too so she gets more hindmilk.

Anything else I can do or is there a better routine to get into?

Help please! I've already cut out dairy from my diet as it gave her a blood streaked nappy and was really straining. I don't want to give up bfing but if its gonna make her ill...

I may be wrong here, but I thought it was a sign of a hindmilk/foremilk imbalance if it was green and frothy. Alice went through about 3 weeks of green poo but was putting on weight and seemed fine and it went back to yellow again later. I think there's quite a range of colours and textures that are totally normal.

You can get green poo for many reasons.
(Ex. I just gave myself a headache about it again and it was actually teething)

As far as I know the frothiness is about lactose intollerance not oversupply(too much foremilk)

I've never block fed by the clock. Hazel could vary in how much she wanted to eat and when, it didn't make sense to me. Normally it would be 2-3 feeds, but really I'd more likely add up how long she's fed for and have a good feel as to how empty you think the first side is.

Have you tried colief? We're still using it.

Hi
I also tried block feeding for a week or so in the early days as LO had green poo and I had read about the foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. But when I mentioned this to the lactation consultant at a drop-in clinic, she told me off (nicely) for self-diagnosing! Like PPs have said, she did say that the imbalance tends to make poos green and frothy, and green poos can be the result of a number of different things, and not necessarily anything to worry about.

As it was, my attempts to block feed meant that my LO was hungrier because I'm someone who needs to feed from both sides at each feed to make sure he gets his fill. And it didn't get rid of the green poos anyway - they just stopped on their own. They came back a couple of weeks ago when I had a cold (I fed LO throughout), so I guess the two could have been linked, although I don't know if this is possible.

He does seem to get the odd green poo when he doesn't bring up his wind. My HV has always told me it's nothing to worry about.

Ronan tends to have diaper blow outs perhaps once a day, sometimes every 2 days and a lot of his poos in between are often very small and green as well. His doctor said it was nothing to be concerned about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->