how to break the feed to sleep association?

_Lexi_

Mummy to 1 perfect angel and a 6yr old daughter
Reaction score
My lg is coming up to 1 and still relies on being fed and rocked to sleep. I've tried putting her down drowsy but doesn't work. She has to be fed to sleep, then rocked, then put down. It's taking up to three hours just to get her to bed. We've got a strict routine and she's always in her room by 7pm. Its getting to the point where I'm considering giving her formula, just to break the cycle . I'm so proud of myself for getting this far with no bottles or formula, but something has got to change :( when she wakes in the night she then needs feeding and rocking back to sleep, which can be another 3 hours :( any tips on how to break this habit? It's wearing me down x

I am following your thread. Sorry I'm in the same situation and I want to know! I bought 3 sleep books but two of them are cry it out and I need to read the no cry sleep solution to see if it works.

I recently made a thread like this about my five month old. I have been able to stop the association at bed time but not at nap time.

I started feeding her for less and less time gradually so instead of feeding her until she was fully asleep, I did it so she was in a light sleep and then when she was drowsy. It took a while but it has worked. I found pulling away and Putting my finger under her chin as she started to root helped(this is a method if you google it) i was eventually able to put her down drowsy and she fell asleep, but I do I have to use Ewan the dream sheep to help her drift off. It some time takes her ten fifteen minutes to drift off but I just leave her to mess around. If she ever gets really upset I pick her up and shush her and repeat process.

I see that your baby Jessica is older than my daughter so maybe another method may help better. There is one called the invisible chair or controlled crying. It's not everyone's cup of tea but I know for some people it really did help them very quickly! It's something I definitely would consider x

I read 'the no cry sleep' book and had some very good tips especially for breast fed babies and breaking the association x

The no-cry sleep solution is a great book and definitely worth a read :) x

We started controlled crying on friday. Since monday I've been able to put her down after feeding her, she fusses for up to a 90 seconds, and is sound asleep. It was pretty hard the first two nights. We had no more than 30 minutes of crying though x

My baby just got moved to a new daycare room for older babies and in this room all babies take a nap at the same time. They eat lunch, clean up, then nap without having a bottle. They all get patted to sleep. I tried it today and it worked. As long as his tummy is full I think it will work.

My advice is from a mum with a 22 month old who's partner would be heart broken if I fed our son artificial milk or did cry it out/control crying. However I have dabbled with adding a cereal to expressed milk and both cio and cc all three failed to give decent results.
So I read the no cry sleep solution and I found that full tumny helps. Our bed time routine is two books, turn off the light, get into sleeping bag, breastfeed, lay into cot and sing our lullaby while rubbing head. The last bit is best if you have a chair to sit on and done through the bars

I'm currently trying to wean my son into his cot from co-sleeping so I have a stretcher next to his bed which I sleep on. He is gradually starting to sleep through the night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->