How to do BLW outside in the winter?!?

jessmke

Reaction score
My daughter will accept yogurt off a spoon if I pre-load the spoon for her and then let her feed herself, but any other food she needs to eat with her hands. I am wondering how I will feed her in the winter when we are outside at meal times (when we go skiing or snowshoeing for the day for example). It'll be too cold for her to eat with her bare hands, but she won't let me spoon feed her anything. Anyone have advice on how to do BLW outside in cold weather? We are in Canada so when I say cold I mean about -10 to -15 celsius during the day (about 15 to 5 Fahrenheit).

We were gone hiking all day yesterday when it was +8 C and Isla's hands were like ice cubes after lunch which got me thinking how would we do this when it's really cold out!

Maybe you will have to change your habits (temporarily) and plan sheltered, heated breaks into your activities?

I use a reusuable sucky pouch. Google kai carriers if you don't know what I'm talking about it. You can put everything in there. Yes it is pureed though but at least she can feed herself and keep gloves on outside.

I use a reusuable sucky pouch. Google kai carriers if you don't know what I'm talking about it. You can put everything in there. Yes it is pureed though but at least she can feed herself and keep gloves on outside.

Thanks for the tip, I will have to look into that! Last night I pureed some shepherd's pie and tried to feed it to her and she was not having any of it, but if I put it in front of her she would eat it with her hands. So hopefully she will accept puree out of a pouch because she is feeding herself. She has never used a sucky pouch before so it might take some practice so I'll have to try it out before we really need to use it.

Thanks for the tip, I will have to look into that! Last night I pureed some shepherd's pie and tried to feed it to her and she was not having any of it, but if I put it in front of her she would eat it with her hands. So hopefully she will accept puree out of a pouch because she is feeding herself. She has never used a sucky pouch before so it might take some practice so I'll have to try it out before we really need to use it.

Sounds like my 8 month old. Her mouth clamps tightly shut if I try to feed her :)

You'll probably find as she gets a bit older that she's much more dexterous with her hands and will be able to eat with gloves on. So things like pasta or a sandwich should be no trouble for her to pick up even if she's wearing gloves.

Otherwise, you might just need to plan your outdoor activities around mealtimes, go out in the morning and come back for lunch or go out after lunch. Personally, if BLW is going well, I wouldn't confuse the process by trying to switch to purees and spoonfeeding just because it's easier when you're out. You will probably just need to alter your days a bit until she's older and it's a bit easier. Go out for shorter times, take breaks somewhere warm, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->