how to keep cata out of crib/ playpen...

mummie2be

Reaction score
Can anyone offer advice on hoq to keep our cats out of babies furniture? i haven't had anyone issues yet, but having to start having stuff around the house I'm worries they will sleep in it.
Can anyone suggest a way to keep them out? I've tried mesh cover but they don't fit over our playpen.

Hehe We are going through this with our 3 cats right now! I was told that its best to have the furniture put together and out so they can just get their "sniffs" out and then they will begin to lose interest and just get used to everything. As far as them sleeping in everything, we are working on that haha! We have our nursery set up and they constantly jump in the crib or are on the changing table whenever I open the door.. What I have started to do is carry a spray bottle with water in it and when they are in the baby's furniture I shake the squirt bottle and they jump down (very rarely have to even squirt them as they already know what it is). I think they really just have to get used to everything new and also make sure they still get plenty of loves and toys of their own to play with. Maybe you could get them something new of their own that they can rub against and mark as "theirs". :)

Pretty much impossible task I reckon! I've got two (plus next doors pretty much lives at ours).

I don't want the cats even in our nursery so I've shut that door completely. I haven't set our Moses basket up yet so not sure how we will get around that as it will be in our bedroom where the cats are normally allowed.

Hmmmm

Our cats have been locked out of the babys room since we emptied it ready for decorating. Took them a few weeks but they get the hint they arent allowed in there (they stand at the door if its open but wont come in).

We've also started shutting them out of our bedroom overnight and when we aren't in the house so they wont be able to climb in the moses basket with the baby overnight (one cat wouldnt bother, the other definitely would as he loves human contact!).

Were putting the pram up in a few weeks so Im going to pop something in the pram seat to stop them jumping on the seat. Im not as concerned about them going in the pram, its more so I don't have to brush the pram everytime I want to use it! We did a test build on the pram the other day and Hercules (my cat) got straight in the basket so I think that's where he'll sleep. Must remember to check te basket before I go out with the baby though as he's a house cat! Can just imagine being down the shops and a cat climbs from under the pram!

When we've bought anything for the baby we've allowed them to have a sniff and an investigate so they aren't as curious. I'm hoping when the moses basket is downstairs that they will be scared of the baby rather than trying to climb in but they'll never be left alone together anyways.

No real hints for stopping them, we've never managed to train them to not jump on the worktops in the kitchen so Im just praying that they'll get bored of the baby pretty quickly!

Tin foil inside the cot/moses basket works wonders! X

We keep babies room door shut but the older kids keep popping in and leaving the door open. Our swing, car seat and cot have all been 'tested' by the cat. I am more concerned about our Moses basket and pram as they will be more accessible in living room and outside etc. I have a cat net but this didn't deter him the swing or car seat he just used it like a hammock!
My biggest concern is tha he is maine coon cross and is about 1.5-2 x weight of a newborn so don't want him trying to cuddle in and squashing baby.

I have a cat net but this didn't deter him the swing or car seat he just used it like a hammock!

You have a similar cat to me! His normal bed is one of the radiator ones so he loves that "hammock" feeling. I can guarantee a net wont work in our house! He's not a Maine Coon (by the way I'm so jealous! They are LOVELY cats!) but he is bigger than an average cat - he makes Spartacus (our other cat... she's normal size) look teeny tiny. He's also the one who likes to cuddle up to people so I think it will be him I'll need to watch like a hawk in case he climbs in the basket with the baby!

Out of interest - at what age do you think we'll be able to let the cats in with the kids at night? I always remember as a child that my mums cat would sleep at the bottom of my bed, we were best buds (I even put the cat in a toy pram!) and I'd love it if our LO could have a similar relationship with our two cats!

I reckon when the kids are in a bed, it is okay for cat to sleep in with them?

I had no idea the bundle of fluff I took in was part maine coon but the vet spotted the characteristics when I took him for his jags. He has the big tail, hairy ears, HUGE paws and a gorgeous velvety coat which really requires minimal grooming. The best bit is that when he moults it comes out in clumps so there aren't random hairs everywhere like my previous short haired cats. I didn't even know what a Maine coon was until I googled it but now I don't think I will have any other type!

Ps we used to have a radiator bed for him but he is way too big now! He is 3 in September so should stop growing by then if he hasn't already.

I had no idea the bundle of fluff I took in was part maine coon but the vet spotted the characteristics when I took him for his jags. He has the big tail, hairy ears, HUGE paws and a gorgeous velvety coat which really requires minimal grooming. The best bit is that when he moults it comes out in clumps so there aren't random hairs everywhere like my previous short haired cats. I didn't even know what a Maine coon was until I googled it but now I don't think I will have any other type!

Ps we used to have a radiator bed for him but he is way too big now! He is 3 in September so should stop growing by then if he hasn't already.

Yeah Hercules is so big we had to get a radiator bed designed for Maine Coons!!!

I'd love a Maine Coon - we looked at getting one before we got Hercules but they were too expensive!

Yeah Hercules is so big we had to get a radiator bed designed for Maine Coons!!!

I'd love a Maine Coon - we looked at getting one before we got Hercules but they were too expensive!

I didn't know you could get a 'Maine coon' bed - will google it. Milo cost me £40 - the owners didn't know the father and his mum was a tiny short haired tabby. No wonder he was the only kitten in the litter - probably no room for another. He is sitting next to me as I type - chirping in that strange manner rather than miaowing! I thought he had been born with a dodgy voice box until I looked into the breed more.

We've just set up our cot and we have a changing station that fits over it and both my cats jump straight into that, so not too worried but will be putting tinfoil down in the cot itself, my big boy Gizmo is easily frightened and our little black cat Zammy hates the sound of it! So should work hopefully!!!!:shrug:

Firstly, so jealous, I love Maine coons!! I've got a Bengal cat that's just over a year. Born a day before Joshua actually. We've got the crib and moses basket up and he hasn't bothered with them. Before we moved we had a chair in our room that he would sleep on, now we've moved it's in the spare room, and when he's not cuddled with me, he's on there, which is in the nursery. He hasn't tried getting on the changing mat or anything. We taught him from quite young not to jump up onto units/worktops. He's never met a child though, and loves his sleep, so I'm fairly certain he'll keep his distance from baby till she's a bit older. I also looked at the nets, but thought they might just get used as a hammock!! Mocha LOVES tin foil, its the only thing he plays with! Water spray bottle works well, and we got a pet behaviour spray that is citrus scented that is quite a good deterrent x

I didn't know you could get a 'Maine coon' bed - will google it. Milo cost me £40 - the owners didn't know the father and his mum was a tiny short haired tabby. No wonder he was the only kitten in the litter - probably no room for another. He is sitting next to me as I type - chirping in that strange manner rather than miaowing! I thought he had been born with a dodgy voice box until I looked into the breed more.

https://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/shop/cosy-bedsrugskatkabin/Extra-Large-Radiator-Cat-Bed

This is the one we got - if they snuggle in nicely both of our cats fit on it - until Hercules decides to stretch out that is!

Wow £40 is cheap - Maine Coons are normally hundreds of £££!

_Lexi_ - How did you manage to teach your cat not to jump on the worktops??? Weve been trying for 3 years and one cat is pretty good and will only go on one worktop (to jump on top of the kitchen cupboard) but the other one is a complete nightmare with it. We've tried sprays, tin foil, shouting etc... nothing works!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->