how to pronounce the name Elijah??

jenmcn1

Expecting baby #4:)
Reaction score
DH & I love the name Elijah for a boy. We like pronouncing it as E-LIE-SHA, but I've heard some people say that its pronounced E-LIE-JAH...

Opinions??

DH & I love the name Elijah for a boy. We like pronouncing it as E-LIE-SHA, but I've heard some people say that its pronounced E-LIE-JAH...

Opinions??

I've always heard it as E-LIE-ZSA...hope that makes sense..like Zsa Zsa Gabor LOL! I like that name for a boy, very cute :)

you can always spell it as Elisha then, my cousin has the name Elijah and people here in Canada keep saying it as E-LIE-JAH I also think it also has to do with where you reside and the accents there.

I think it depends on your accent. When I see it I think of a soft "j" sound so it sounds like yall are saying it.

the second way is how Ive heard it. Mainly bc of the celebrity

The name comes from the bible and there is Elijah and Elisha so if you want it to be Eli-sha I would spell it like that cause they are really two different names.

e-lie-jah

and I think mexicans/hispanics pronounce it e-lie-hah? because they pronounce "j" as "h"

E-li-jah! Never heard it said any other way :) Love the name btw!

Yup! I think DK hit the nail on the head, I think people say Eli-JAH b/c of the bible, vs Elisha... both are quite wonderful names and stories btw.

i say it E-LIE-JAH. :)

love the name! it's on the list if we have another little boy after this one! (we're probably crazy for already thinking that far ahead :blush:)

Thx ladies!!:) I appreciate the input! - think we will pronounce it 'E-LIE-JHA' with a soft J sound if that makes sense.
We love the name, and its biblical origin...but not a big fan of spelling it as "Elisha"...

I pronounce Elijah as Eli-zha.

My nephew's name is Elisha, pronounced Eli-sha just like it looks. Strangers sometimes see it and say it more feminine, like Eleesha.

Eli-zha. I've never heard it pronounced with a hard J or an sh.

Eh-lie-jah

Its really hard to explain, the j is very soft almost eastern europe pronounciation? I love it!

I would say E-LIE-JAH. the way you suggested I would spell as Elisha, another biblical name. HTH

My son was called Elijah right up until the night before we registered his birth - 6 weeks old lol. I changed my mind last minute as I wasn't keen on how people were shortening it. However I do still think its a beautiful name.

We pronounced it E-lie-jah.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->