How to start the weaning process?

fashionlover

Reaction score
I am not ready to wean my baby any time soon, but the thought of how exactly to do it when the time is right has often popped into my head. I guess I don't understand the process, how to dry your milk without pain and getting mastitis (which by the way, I have had twice)

Any advice? :winkwink:

With my first I just gradually cut down on feedings as she ate more solids, then went cold turkey at night and if she wanted anything had to have formula... She then started sleeping better, probs didn't think it was worth waking if she wasn't getting boob lol

Sit baby up table, give baby bits of food, breastfeed as normal. As baby starts to eat (and drink) more they will want the breast less. Its a gradual process and gives your breasts plenty of time to adjust.

I think it depends how old your LO is. At a year old, I imagine it would be more difficult than 2 years old and that would be more difficult than 3 years old and so on.

After my LO's second birthday, I night weaned her gently (Dr Jay Gordon's method) so that cut out a couple of feeds. I don't think you need to think about drying up milk - by that age, your boobs will probably be quite responsive and able to cope with changes. LO is 2.5 now and usually has a morning and a bedtime feed but she can go without one if she's distracted or we're really busy. It'll be a slow process from here and I imagine there will be times when she feeds more, then back to less again, but a general trend of less as time goes by.

I'm sure that if you follow LO's lead, even if you initiate the start of the process, you don't need to worry about pain or anything - weaning is a gradual thing not a sudden stop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->