How to use oldest milk first?

MommyxThree

Mom to a DD and 2 DS!
Reaction score
Does anyone have any good suggestions on how to make sure to use the oldest frozen milk up first? I have a refrigerator that has the french doors with the freezer drawer on the bottom. Of course all of the oldest is on the very very bottom.....:dohh: Should I go through and reorganize? I've been using the Lansinoh bags.

Could you put a container in there, like a tuppaware container, You could stand the little pouches up in there, always putting the last expressed at the back. So when you need to use some, you always take the pack at the front which will be the oldest one.

I would freeze them in stack... face down with the oldest on the bottom. Then when the stack in the most convenient spot gets full, I'd take all but the top one out and move them. That way I'd always have a flat surface to freeze the next bag on.

Since you've already filled the freezer, I'd just focus on re-organizing the section where you know the oldest milk is. Don't try to do it all at once since that will take a while, freeze your fingers off, and might compromise the milk to be thawed for too long.

If you have the space, using a little box to stack them upright is helpful.

Yes, unfortunately I think you'll have to reorganize! I did the same thing and had to re-sort about 500oz so that the oldest was on top instead. Now we have a chest freezer, so I make stacks for each month's milk so that I can put new milk in one stack while pulling older milk from a different stack (rather than putting new on top of old).

ETA: I agree as above about not doing it all at once as some might thaw.

Thanks!! I was hoping there was some other way around freezing my fingers off but I'm guessing not! The suggestion with the tupperware is a good one. I'm now wishing I had a supply of empty shoe boxes that I could use!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->